Spyderco is the Rolex of the knife world

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Spyderco is the Rolex of the knife world

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Spook410 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:51 pm
It's a tool. A good tool. But just a tool. And, quite a simple tool in concept and construction. Nothing in common with high end watches. Not even position in their relative markets.
All of this. Not even comparable in so many different ways.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Danke

Post by Danke »

New ad copy

The Tanto is the Rolex of Blade Shapes

Tanto's; 60% of the time they work every time.
Bantee

Post by Bantee »

:pleading I am disgusted...
I am disgusted that of approximately 1200 BHQ Lum Tantos...
That I don't know where the other 1198 are??...as I just purchased the one off of the ops screenshot...I'm weak...
Fwiw...Rolex of pokey-sticks or not...I use both of my PM 2 tantos..& my other 2 Lum tantos.
To not use them as intended, is akin to having a plate full of tacos before you...but not eating them!!! :thinking
I love Spydie tantos, & I love me some tacos!! :smiling-heart-eyes
Would also like to thank the op for showing the listing!! :hundred-points
Matus

Post by Matus »

I am not a watch person, but I am genuinely amused to see 'Sypderco' and 'Rolex' in the same sentence :grin-sweat
Last edited by Matus on Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I get the frustration… to a point.
I don’t see the comparison.

It’s always frustrating to not be able to get the things you want. Especially when they both actually exist and at one point in time could be obtained at a reasonable price.

It’s hardly the right way to think about it though. As frustrating as it can be to miss out on a sprint or exclusive, you’re not missing out on a knife, you’re missing out on an item that shouldn’t exist.
Spyderco already has more regular SKUs than one would think could be sustainable for a knife manufacturer, yet they have the courage and excess capacity to sprinkle our lives with all these knives and versions of knives that really wouldn’t exist at all if they were a regular business motivated by making as much money as possible with the least effort possible.
Just be grateful for the opportunities that come along, and don’t obsess on those you miss out on. There are more to come.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I think we should stick with car analogies, which are always wrong, but this feels even more wrong. :-)
The devil you know and all that. Which one of your knives is most like a Toyota Hilux?
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
RAHComanche

Post by RAHComanche »

Spyderco already has more regular SKUs than one would think could be sustainable for a knife manufacturer, yet they have the courage and excess capacity to sprinkle our lives with all these knives and versions of knives that really wouldn’t exist at all if they were a regular business motivated by making as much money as possible with the least effort possible.
Does everyone think this is true? It seems that exclusives and sprints increase demand, especially in combination with out of stock production. How many folks would have variations of the same knife if were not for exclusives and sprints.

It might increase effort but not at the expense of sales and profit. My 2 cents.

Breitling and Omega do the same things. Constantly changing the model with new variations and special editions. It increases multiple purchases, drives prices up of most sought after ones, etc. It definitely increases sales and profits long term.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

kobold wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:53 am
I think we should stick with car analogies, which are always wrong, but this feels even more wrong. :-)
The devil you know and all that. Which one of your knives is most like a Toyota Hilux?
Just saw this video a few weeks ago!

https://youtu.be/Yl1FNX08HFc
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Blueboost

Post by Blueboost »

Appreciate all the replies this was fun. I got to post pics of my c46 I'm happy.

I do use it a bit. I'd love a regular c46gpe for a user if anyone wants to shed one.

They don't make the Toyota Hilux anymore do they? Look like a smock with burgundy micarta scales.

If I don't complain about lack of tanto, and ramble my way to discussing the c46 once a year at least, then get flamed for it and labelled a mall ninja, I just can't live with myself. Thanks for putting up with it for going on 15 years now. I'll be over on the nunchuck and Chinese star forums if anyone needs me!

Paramariner!
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Unless I missed something, nobody labeled you, or the tanto PM2, or the Lum, a mall ninja. I labeled my *child* as a mall ninja. I wasn't making a joke. He actually wants a blackout tanto PM2. As soon as BHQ redrops them, I'm getting him one. The only reason he doesn't already have a PM2 is because he's picky about the blade shape. My 19yo collects sprints (doomed at such a young age), and my 15yo carries a customized PM2. My 12yo is ready to move up from his Polestar.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

I am the only one that now wants a Spydex? A watch with a LC200N Bezel, Titanium band, big spyder on the face.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Blueboost wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:04 pm
Original C46 angles were perfect. Even the eventual sprint runs did not follow these angles or have an Appleseed grind or tip strength. Down turning the spine rather than upturning the blade for strength is backwards thinking to conform to a form factor.Image
I get what you’re saying.

I note the VG10 sprint I have coming does not retain the Appleseed, yet the taper on the spine at the tip seems about like yours. So are you declaring an actual loss of tip-strength with the change in design, or just holding to design principle?

Did production versions after the original Ti retain the Appleseed?
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
kobold

Post by kobold »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:43 am
kobold wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:53 am
Just saw this video a few weeks ago!

https://youtu.be/Yl1FNX08HFc

Top Gear did a number on this poor thing too.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Can you get on a message board and talk to CEO of Rolex? Request certain models and get reply from said CEO? See these forum request watches make it to production? I feel your pain in missing models I want sometimes but Spyderco has my forever business and Sal is why
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I don’t think this is a good comparison. Maybe William Henry or Shirogorov if we’re talking knives to Rolex’s. Definitely not Spyderco lol
Josh
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

sethwm wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:07 pm
And often these "rare" exclusives/sprints are available used on forums like r/Knife_Swap at cost. Users on ebay gouge but that seems more like opportunistic individuals, not grey market dealers who swoop up 500 exclusives and then sell them at a huge mark up. I've gotten plenty of rare ones by being patient on reddit.
Case in point, there's a PM2 tanto on r/Knife_Swap right now. It's pricey because it includes some really nice ti scales and upgraded hardware, but these things are available.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Rolex watch? I don't know what I would do with one. It doesn't provide a function I require, and any "recognition" I would receive would be unwelcome. I couldn't respect anyone who would admire me because of the watch I wore.

A Spyderco knife provides value. I just used my fancy knife to chop the tips off tubes of silicone. And after I'm done typing this, I'll use the knife to harvest herbs that I'll use in preparing dinner. And just to show some consistency, I couldn't respect anyone who would admire me because of the uncommon sprint in my pocket.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

YOU TAKE THAT BACK! What an insult. 🤬

Rolex is absurd. And the AD practices are predatory.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

In my other business, I have photographed several rich clients and one of the things that they let me shoot are their watches, mostly Rolexes. To be honest, I have not really found the appeal to them. They just look like any other steel watch to me. Limited function too.

Now, get me a Garmin, a Suunto or any watch capable of doing multiple functions like GPS, Altimeter and Barometer while being rugged enough for outdoor use, and you would have me going like a hungry dog going crazy after a juicy steak.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

nerdlock wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:22 pm

Now, get me a Garmin, a Suunto or any watch capable of doing multiple functions like GPS, Altimeter and Barometer while being rugged enough for outdoor use, and you would have me going like a hungry dog going crazy after a juicy steak.

Huzzah!