Native 5 with Compression Lock please!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Paraguy

Re: Native 5 with Compression Lock please!

Post by Paraguy »

Yesss!
Sage and Native = coolest looking spydes. It deserves a cool lock.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:46 pm
I am all for more native designs, a comp lock would be cool. I think a lil native chief would be cool too.
+1
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

There is something so satisfying about a mid-small sized spydi with a comp lock.
"Some call me...Tim?"
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Paraguy wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:56 am
There is something so satisfying about a mid-small sized spydi with a comp lock.
Exactly.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Featherblade

Post by Featherblade »

Native has perfect ergonomy with his humpless spine. The compression lock would make this
extremely good knife excellent.
... and might not be such a bad idea a wharncliffe version.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

If another lock, why not a CBBL for a change?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

attila wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:29 pm
I have been wanting a new, no thumb-ramp, 3" compression lock or CBBL knife for a long time. Either of these locks would be a great alternative to the back lock.

I have and trust backlocks, but I do not like them. I want compression or, ideally, CBBL.
This! The Sage and Native 5’s are really really different in another respect which is important to me. The thinner blade stock in the Sage is better in a 3” class knife. I find the Native a bit chunky.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Even the good gentlemen over at REC are asking for a Native in a Comp lock. :smlling-eyes

(it's at the 4:00 mark)

8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kodai78 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:37 pm
attila wrote:
This! The Sage and Native 5’s are really really different in another respect which is important to me. The thinner blade stock in the Sage is better in a 3” class knife. I find the Native a bit chunky.

Sage and Native are pretty close in blade stock thickness (3.0 vs 3.2) but yes, the thinner the better in such a small folder (as long as not thinner than let's say 2.0 mm), and the (I think?) a bit taller blade on the Sage should help with "sliciness". too.

Too bad that you don t like the backlock otherwise Delica/Salt ffg or even better Chaparral would be for you: Strong folders, and outperform Native, Sage, and even more so Para 3 in cutting due to the thin(2.5 resp 2.0 mm) stock.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:40 am
kodai78 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:37 pm
attila wrote:

Sage and Native are pretty close in blade stock thickness (3.0 vs 3.2) but yes, the thinner the better in such a small folder (as long as not thinner than let's say 2.0 mm), and the (I think?) a bit taller blade on the Sage should help with "sliciness". too.

Too bad that you don t like the backlock otherwise Delica/Salt ffg or even better Chaparral would be for you: Strong folders, and outperform Native, Sage, and even more so Para 3 in cutting due to the thin(2.5 resp 2.0 mm) stock.
I have a Delica, the very slicey ZDP 189 version. It’s a good knife. I have 2 Chapparals both are fancier than my usual EDC and all 3 are good slicers. I think it’s a subjective thing for me the feel in hand is just better with the Sage and Chapparal. Nothing wrong with the Native or Delica, but I don’t carry them much. I generally have a larger folder, such as a Manix, Schempp Bowie, or Smock, and a Dragonfly 2 (if I have a second knife with me)in my pockets.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Machairamania

Post by Machairamania »

I enjoy my Spyderco mid backlocks a lot and they are undoubtedly the best back-locks I have ever used, but the idea of a compression native 5 sounds amazing to me (caged ball bearing lock might be even better)

For those saying the sage 5 is essentially the same as this, I would have to disagree, I like the aesthetics of the native line much more than the sage, the lack of the hump/thumb ramp makes it look much cooler to me.

Also I am left handed and have no problem using right handed compression locks. I have a lefty PM2 but I like smaller knives and the right handed lock is easy enough to manipulate that I much prefer my righty para 3. A caged ball bearing lock native 5 might be even better tho, I don’t know why we don’t see such an amazing lock more often.

And as others have said I am by no means advocating for the discontinuation of the backlock native 5 but giving a more fidgety lock to a member of the native family that is in a more edc friendly size (shaman is way to big for me in most situations) would be fantastic
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Machairamania:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

If Sal & Eric taped a razor blade to a pencil and called it a Native-something I'd buy two of them. That's how much I love the entire Native family (which includes the Shaman). So, yeah, I'd grab a N5 Comp, but the mid-back on this knife is perfection for me, so I don't really need it.

I have the Lil' Native in all three versions, and still prefer the back lock, but the comp version works surprisingly well for such a small knife. I suspect a Comp version of the Chief might be more popular than an N5, though again, I love the current mid-back version.
Brian
Guts

Post by Guts »

I'd buy one. Stuff like this always gets pushback from the lockback community but I don't see why it would have to be one or the other. I'd be down for a sprint or dealer exclusive compression lock model. The Native 5 is noticeably smaller in length and overall width in the pocket compared to other 3" models Spyderco already makes in compression lock (para 3 or Sage 5) which is why I'd love to get one with my favorite lock. Not aware of any other compression lock model they make with this specific blade shape in that 3" blade size either (no exaggerated thumb ramp). Maybe someday.
Last edited by Guts on Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
SpyderForLyfe

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

Given the thickness of the blade, a caged ball bearing lock would be a lot stronger.
SpyderForLyfe

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

Dazen wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:32 am
I would buy a Comp Lock Native 5 immediately, as long as it is NOT a LW. LC200N/CF is always my dream combo.

Couldn't agree more
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

wouldn't a native 5 with a comp lock just be a mini shaman?
Mendozamike89

Post by Mendozamike89 »

I'd go for a bbl on a native 5 idk if it's wide enough though
:bug-white-red Mendozamike89 :bug-red-white
51 spyderco knives in 20 different types of steels.

My Top 3 EDC
-1- Smock s30v with black RGT micarta and lynch clip. With Skipp 3/16"1/16"11 ball bearings.

-2- Sage 5 lw (bladehq exclusive) with black m4 steel rit dyed dark green & black lynch clip to match

-3- Shaman with cruwear dlc (knife joker exclusive) with gray micarta RGT scales and long gray lynch clip.
Mendozamike89

Post by Mendozamike89 »

The native 5 would be a mini shaman with a comp lock which I do love the shaman and have 4 in different steels
:bug-white-red Mendozamike89 :bug-red-white
51 spyderco knives in 20 different types of steels.

My Top 3 EDC
-1- Smock s30v with black RGT micarta and lynch clip. With Skipp 3/16"1/16"11 ball bearings.

-2- Sage 5 lw (bladehq exclusive) with black m4 steel rit dyed dark green & black lynch clip to match

-3- Shaman with cruwear dlc (knife joker exclusive) with gray micarta RGT scales and long gray lynch clip.