S110v - waning popularity?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GarageBoy

S110v - waning popularity?

Post by GarageBoy »

Doesn't seem to garner discussion (or long winded debate about if it was actually an improvement to s90v or not) these days, but it's still a mainstay in the Golden line up.

I wonder if these sell well, and if the average Joe who buys these knives notice.
Airlsee

Re: S110v - waning popularity?

Post by Airlsee »

I love S110V in my UKPK, but I think Spyderco may have jumped the gun by giving S110V permanent status in the lineup.

I've never owned it in the PM2 or Manix and am interested to hear from the S110V advocates among us. I own many knives in S90V and if given the choice would choose it over S110V.
So it goes.
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

I have a manix in both steels but have not used them yet to do a comparison. So opinion is still pending (but I'm betting on S90V). I know, I know, a lot of help I am.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I bought the Manix S110V lightweight for the carbides. I have more pocket friendly knives for EDC so this pretty much stays at my work bench. I am constantly scraping it against the side of steel hooks cutting super glued braided snells and it holds up very well when subjected to this kind of abuse. I don't know how well K390 will stack up in this regard, but we'll soon find out when my K390 Ladybug arrives later this afternoon. Still I don't expect there will any role reversal as the Ladybug will likely spend more time in my pocket than the work bench. The only knife I have in S90V is a Scot Cook Owyhee Hunter. As nice a knife as it is, I actually haven't used it enough to give an informed opinion other than it seems to be good stuff. Getting S110V screaming sharp is not really worth the effort for me. S90V on the other hand............
Last edited by skeeg11 on Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

S110v has very high corrosion resistance. Im pretty sure I remember SurfinGringo say it was some of the best corrosion resistance outside of the salt series.

Pair that with very high wear resistance, which lc200n and h1 dont have, along with "affordability", which the super steels like rex121 and super clean etc. dont really have. Then I think its a pretty good stainless so long as you expect it to be difficult to sharpen.

I think if you do a lot of cutting and need high corrosion resistance then its a very good choice. Especially if you have a good sharpening system.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is an absolutely crazy thought because not so long ago you couldn't even buy it unless you went with a full custom. I still think it's an outstanding steel but my preference for steel traits has changed so it isn't my most sought after steel these days. It's still a heavyweight in its own class.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:45 pm
S110v has very high corrosion resistance. Im pretty sure I remember SurfinGringo say it was some of the best corrosion resistance outside of the salt series.

Pair that with very high wear resistance, which lc200n and h1 dont have, along with "affordability", which the super steels like rex121 and super clean etc. dont really have. Then I think its a pretty good stainless so long as you expect it to be difficult to sharpen.

I think if you do a lot of cutting and need high corrosion resistance then its a very good choice. Especially if you have a good sharpening system.
I'd say abrasives not system, seems there's a bunch of folks that sharpen it with ceramics but then whine about the performance.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I really like s110v. Military, pm2 and manix2. I find as long as I don't put too steep an edge on it, it is great stuff. (Could probably say the same for most steel) Holds an edge forever. I also really like the corrosion resistance it has. I don't worry about rust on pretty much anything here in Alberta, but i holiday in Manitoba and it's really appreciated there. I went swimming w my pm2 in my pocket several times and never had an issue. Leave on the dock to dry and good to go.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I love it. I was eyeing the S110V Manix I gave my son in law the other day, and wondering why I didn’t get one for myself. I have a Manix with S90V and a PM 2 in S110V both are excellent knives. I will likely buy a Manix in S110V sometime, I prefer the LW and G10 Manix to the Para by a slight margin. I would like a Military in either steel. Just haven’t gotten around to that one either.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I don't love it but I like it. It's a good performer in its class. It's such a high-powered alloy, that fact alone makes it cool IMO.

Edit to add: Currently, the only CPM S110V I own is a Manix LW (bought it for $100 brand new - thanks G&R Tactical for the 30% discount!) I used to have a Millie in the steel, but sold it on eBay to a co-worker of mine (unknowingly, lol.) He is not even a knife nut, but he knows I like knives and wanted a good one to carry. He EDC's that thing everyday and uses it hard - the kind of hard-use test that only a non-knife nut can give. I've sharpened it twice for him over the couple years he's carried it, and he keeps it touched up in-between with a Sharpmaker he bought for the purpose. Seems to work well for him!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Raylas

Post by Raylas »

I can see why it might be.

People tend to think it's really, really hard to sharpen. And I guess it could be, but I've touched it up on Fine Ceramics, it worked fine.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Been carrying a 110 Manix LW to work recently. Loving it. It's sort of a "sharpen it once and forget it" (well, forget about sharpening for a few weeks at least--don't want to oversell it) kind of blade.

Was trepedatious about sharpening it, but using the Hapstone with diamond stones, seemed to sharpen up only slightly slower than other supersteels. As a work knife, has seen some lateral stress, but no chipping to date.
Attachments
ManixWork.JPG
R100

Post by R100 »

I love S110v for its edge retention and corrosion resistance. It's the only steel apart from H1 and LC200N I've never had any marks on at all. I would actually like to see a "super salt" knife made with it. Outside of marine environments I think it would do well.

Sharpening is an important part of my knife addiction and S110v has taught me a lot which pays off on every other steel. It is a true knife afi steel with extreme performance for those willing to develop the skills to maintain it. If you don't like sharpening, buy something else. Having S110v as a production steel is a mark of the respect Sal has for his customers.

Dan
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I have several almost unused folders in S110V from my late father, and a Manix LW that’s seen a lot of use at work. It loses that super keen edge pretty fast, but holds a working edge for longer than any other steel I’ve used. It is surprisingly resistant to edge damage when encountering metal and minerals. For as hard and wear-resistant as it is, I’ve found it to be surprisingly tough.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

It's available, and therefore not as sexy as steels that only come around as part of sprints and exclusives. Functionally it's an excellent combination of wear resistance, hardness and corrosion resistance, sharpening takes more time than some other steels, but not difficult with appropriate diamond abrasive.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

I have the blurple Millie and I really like the combo of that model and steel. Figuring out how to sharpen and make it perform are part of the fun for me. That said, it’s not among my favorite steels (XHP, ZDP, BD1N, H1) but it’s a fun steel that I’ll never get rid of.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I like S110V because is excellent at doing two things at once: very corrosion resistant and very wear resistant. What I dislike most is the colour! :zany

I prefer S90V if corrosion resistance is not as important, as it seems to hold an edge longer for me. Plus CF of course…
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

S110V is not waning in popularity
kobold

Post by kobold »

I love my S110V Millie and Manix. I use the Millie in the kitchen, rotating it with a Rex45 Chief. No problems keeping it sharp or even re-profiling it. And the tip is still there, and there was never any chipping.
I would buy S110V again in almost any folder - unless it's also being offered in Maxamet.

I also have a Millie and the Native Chief in S90V, used as a utility knife, mostly the fine tip for cutting leather. Also very happy. I strop them, but still have the factory edge. S90V, Rex45 and S110V are all great, I don't vacillate about their differences too much.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

I own, use and enjoy my s110v spydies. The ukpk is my favorite but i havent used it nearly as much as my pm2s. Not exactly flavor of the month material nowadays but s110v is found in my pocket often.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."