Loupe: Asking for advice / recommendations please

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Loupe: Asking for advice / recommendations please

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:22 am
This is a great thread! I second what others have said. It should be mandatory reading for us newbies. There needs to be a quick link for all threads needed to get caught up with all the basic knowledge on this forum.
Never thought that this thread would become helpful for quite some folks when I started it! Glad it went that way! :smlling-eyes

/ I have two loupes now and both did really contribute to improve my sharpening skills.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Interesting that your thread on Loupes would pop up again Wartstein. I was just looking over a thread that I posted on "Loupes & Magnifying Devices" about a year ago ( Sept 2020). There was a Brother ( standby99) who posted that his wife was an Entomologist and that she used a brand of Loupe known as "ASCO". I have since heard from a friend of mine of years back and he's an amateur rock hound and that he uses that brand of loupe himself ( ASCO) and he said they are crystal clear.

I'm still using my Bausch & Lomb 8X by 17X Loupe and it serves me well for the most part. However I'm either going to get one of those ASCO that "standby99" mentioned or I might just go ahead and get one of those German made Zeiss brand that I've had my eye on for some time now. The Zeiss brand is rather pricey but I've heard nothing but good about Zeiss optics all the way around.

Good quality magnification devices are a great help for sharpening and for close inspections too.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

I've had the B&L 10x since I was in college (geology major) and it's great but the FOV is much smaller than I prefer.
The Belomo 15x was a nice upgrade on magnification and FOV.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:17 pm
Interesting that your thread on Loupes would pop up again Wartstein. I was just looking over a thread that I posted on "Loupes & Magnifying Devices" about a year ago ( Sept 2020). There was a Brother ( standby99) who posted that his wife was an Entomologist and that she used a brand of Loupe known as "ASCO". I have since heard from a friend of mine of years back and he's an amateur rock hound and that he uses that brand of loupe himself ( ASCO) and he said they are crystal clear.

I'm still using my Bausch & Lomb 8X by 17X Loupe and it serves me well for the most part. However I'm either going to get one of those ASCO that "standby99" mentioned or I might just go ahead and get one of those German made Zeiss brand that I've had my eye on for some time now. The Zeiss brand is rather pricey but I've heard nothing but good about Zeiss optics all the way around.

Good quality magnification devices are a great help for sharpening and for close inspections too.
I had Zeiss lenses on a pair of glasses that I wore for the better part of a decade - they were grea. Eventually the wear and tear on the frames made me get a new pair, but I still have them as a backup.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Ric

Post by Ric »

I bought the
Carson MM-300 MicroBrite Plus 60x - 120x LED

Real good tool.
I had several watch makers optical loupes.
The Carson is another level and much much better.
FK

Post by FK »

Just ordered a Belomo 15x Triplet,,, adding to my earlier Belomo 10x triplet.
Excellent quality for the price.
I also have Peak 10x TS1966 & 15x TS2023 with battery and LED when using away from my desk lamp.
Makes final development of bevel and apex so much faster and more accurate.

Regards,
FK
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Nikon makes a nice 10x loupe. They have a large microscopy group at Nikon so they know how to make tiny optics.
Last edited by dan31 on Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

ImageImage
I've got a vintage B&L 10x, and a new PEAK 22x loupe. Obviously higher detail with the 22x but I prefer the 10x. It requires less light to use, and is easier to get in focus.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:39 pm
ImageImage
I've got a vintage B&L 10x, and a new PEAK 22x loupe. Obviously higher detail with the 22x but I prefer the 10x. It requires less light to use, and is easier to get in focus.
I've never heard of that "PEAK" brand but I'm going to check them out. I could use a 20X plus lens for a lot of stuff. I just wish that ZEISS wasn't so pricey as it is. I'm also going to check out those ASCO loupes. When professionals use them I do take notice.

Interesting that you also have a Bausch & Lomb loupe. Over the years I've found Bausch & Lomb to be great for the price and their quality is not bad at all.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:43 am
I've never heard of that "PEAK" brand but I'm going to check them out. I could use a 20X plus lens for a lot of stuff. I just wish that ZEISS wasn't so pricey as it is. I'm also going to check out those ASCO loupes. When professionals use them I do take notice.

Interesting that you also have a Bausch & Lomb loupe. Over the years I've found Bausch & Lomb to be great for the price and their quality is not bad at all.
The peak was a Sal recommendation, I like it, you just need a lot of light. 20x is a very small field of view no matter which brand you use.

I like the B&L, it was my Uncles. Got the Made in the USA stamp on it. Despite decades of wear and tear you can see the quality vs modern offerings. Wish I could find some vintage ones in a higher magnification.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:17 pm
Interesting that your thread on Loupes would pop up again Wartstein.....
Glad it did! :smlling-eyes

Helped me a lot (as did then my loupes in improving my sharpening skills), good thing if now 2.5 years later it might help others too.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

So I bought a Belomo based on the recommendations. I was a little concerned about the $10 options on Amazon. This is $35 without the case and $45 with the case. Quality seems pretty solid. This is a true triplet so it doesn't really distort on the edges from what I can tell. Solid metal casing not plastic.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y3T1S9K/re ... UTF8&psc=1

BelOMO Jewelers Loupe 10x Triplet Magnifier with LEATHER CASE. 21mm (.85") Folding Magnifier
Attachments
PXL_20210831_230119166.jpg
PXL_20210831_230144985.jpg
PXL_20210831_225910995~2.jpg
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

dan31 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:43 pm
Nikon makes a nice 10x loupe. They have a large microscopy group at Nikon so they know how to make tiny optics.
I heard that Nikon made jeweler's Loupes but I had never seen one before. I know that most any optics made by Nikon are really good quality. Do they make variable power loupes? I do agree with you that their microscopes are great because I've used them before and I would like to own one at some point.
Anyone know of a good vendor that carries these high quality loupes. I bought my Bausch & Lomb from a supply house that sells machinist tools of all things.

I'm still wondering if any of you have used those ASCO Loupes.
Nick D. Fingerz

Post by Nick D. Fingerz »

I think the Belomos are the bang for the buck winner. I have a 7X at work and a 10X at home. The 7X doesn't seem to be available anymore. I've had them both for 6 or 7 years and I'm very pleased.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:47 pm
dan31 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:43 pm
I heard that Nikon made jeweler's Loupes but I had never seen one before. I know that most any optics made by Nikon are really good quality. Do they make variable power loupes? I do agree with you that their microscopes are great because I've used them before and I would like to own one at some point.
Anyone know of a good vendor that carries these high quality loupes. I bought my Bausch & Lomb from a supply house that sells machinist tools of all things.

I'm still wondering if any of you have used those ASCO Loupes.
The Nikon 10X loupe I use is still available.

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Jewelry-Tr ... 5009&psc=1
Revival

Re: Lupe: Asking for advice / recommendations please

Post by Revival »

JMM wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:21 am
I got this one off Amazon, it's both 30x and 60x and has an LED light, it's amazing for the price, and I actually like the 60x if you want to REALLY want to zoom in... $8.99, can't imagine finding better for the price...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078N ... UTF8&psc=1
I purchased this loupe per your recommendation but I have a question… I guess this question is for all loupes. When looking through the loupe, is the image you are looking at always upside down (reverse image)?

For example, if I want to see the knife with the bevel down through the loupe, I must hold it bevel up in my hand.

Are there any loupes that magnifies the image without reversing it?

EDIT: I was reading reviews and I discovered that you need to be zoomed up as close as possible to the object. The moment you zoom out even a little, the image is reversed.
Last edited by Revival on Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Revival wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:32 am
JMM wrote:
I got this one off Amazon, it's both 30x and 60x and has an LED light, it's amazing for the price, and I actually like the 60x if you want to REALLY want to zoom in... $8.99, can't imagine finding better for the price...

I purchased this loupe per your recommendation but I have a question… I guess this question is for all loupes. When looking through the loupe, is the image you are looking at always upside down (reverse image)?

For example, if I want to see the knife with the bevel down through the loupe, I must hold it bevel up in my hand.

The two loupes I own do NOT reverse the image...
Revival

Post by Revival »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:35 am
Revival wrote:
JMM wrote:

I appreciate the reply. I discovered that The loupe needs to be extremely close to the object.The moment you zoom out even just a little, the image flips.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Revival wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:32 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:35 am
Revival wrote:
JMM wrote:

I appreciate the reply. I discovered that The loupe needs to be extremely close to the object.The moment you zoom out even just a little, the image flips.

Yeah, that'll happen with other optical devices as well, glad you sorted it out.... I've found that loupe to be the best ten bucks I've ever spent in regards to finding & fixing edge problems and improving my sharpening skills.

Cheers,

John
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I have at least 3 Belomo 10x -- but I am a mineralogist and so I often have one in a pack, another in my car and so forth. My only tip on them is to remove the screws and glue them back in as soon as you get your lens. I had the screws fall out of one and lost the innards. This will take you only a minute or two, especially if you have some lock-tite ready at hand.

I use my stereo microscope to do all my knife edge examination. The loupes are just for carrying into the field, though they would of course work just fine to check your sharpening, as all of you know.