DLT Tuff for emergency do it all

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Popsickle

Re: DLT Tuff for emergency do it all

Post by Popsickle »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:47 am
If I'm honest, I would choose a CS folder if I needed to fill this need with a folder and not a fixed blade. Certainly not a $300+ folder unless it was the only thing available.
I would say that’s a preference due to affordability per person.
SC_PATRIOT

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

Popsickle wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:34 am
SC_PATRIOT wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:41 pm
I've got a killer deal on a DLT Tuff and wanting to see who would rate this as an emergency (shtf) style knife. Yes a fixed blade is always a standard in these type of situations but if you had one folder to fill this role would you choose the Tuff in Cruwear? I'm open to all opinions. Let me know. I've always heard this knife was one Tuff mother.
Lol, are you the one who got it for 220 on Facebook?
Nope getting a decent deal on BF if I pullt the trigger for $265
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

SC_PATRIOT wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:48 pm
Popsickle wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:34 am
SC_PATRIOT wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:41 pm
I've got a killer deal on a DLT Tuff and wanting to see who would rate this as an emergency (shtf) style knife. Yes a fixed blade is always a standard in these type of situations but if you had one folder to fill this role would you choose the Tuff in Cruwear? I'm open to all opinions. Let me know. I've always heard this knife was one Tuff mother.
Lol, are you the one who got it for 220 on Facebook?
Nope getting a decent deal on BF if I pullt the trigger for $265
That’s awesome. I got my current for 265 and my backup is in the mail for 270
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Poo poo in the fan comes in many flavors and the speed of the fan also tends to vary.
The fact that no one knows what the next emergency will be, makes it very hard to predict what knife will be the best choice.
I tend to agree with Evil D that just having any knife will put you somewhat ahead of most people.
And that really makes the whole discussion part of the eternal EDC conundrum; "what is the best <insert anything>?" And the answer is of course that the best emergency knife is the most versatile knife you are willing to carry at all times.
I've never handled the Tuff, but to me it appears neither as very versatile nor especially comfortable to carry.

Personally I don't have the mental capacity to always be prepared for EOWAWKI stuff, so I just try not to be caught off guard by the small bits of poo that blows my way. In way of cutting tools that translates to something Dragonfly sized in pocket (may vary according to mood and scheduled tasks). In my backpack, which is almost always with me when I leave the house, I have a Leatherman Skeletool that serves as a backup knife, a Benchmade rescue hook and a pair of Leatherman Raptor shears. In addition I keep fixed blades stashed in all of my vehicles.

When summarizing all that in writing it actually sounds a bit much, but the fact is that once it's acquired and organized I never give it any thought. None of the cutting tools gets in my way or bug me down. I don't even notice them, which is intentional and exactly why I don't mind always bringing them with me.

For me, this modular-ish approach to "do it all" is the most functional way I've yet to discover, but it probably isn't for everyone. If an emergency-do-it-all-one-and-done-knife is your preference I would maybe look at something like the Benchmade Triage. That knife has always had a pull on me. I do SAR volunteer work and it's no mystery why it would appeal to that demographic. However it's kind of heavy and most of my assignments are high altitude mountain rescue where low weight and high mobility is more useful than carbide glass breakers, so I've been able to resist its pull just by applying rational arguments. Also I liked the older sheepsfoot model a lot better than the later blunt tip versions, so the pull has weakened with time.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I recently bought a manix xl and am really liking it. It would get my vote as my shtf folder. It even beat out my s110v military when deciding. Both handles are great but the wider blade, being stronger on the xl, wins it for me.