Blade 2021…best in show.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Blade 2021…best in show.

Post by sal »

Catamount123 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:18 am
Hopefully the Stretch XL has the same 3 mm blade thickness as the smaller versions?

Hi Catamount,

3mm & Straight Spine. I think I'll carry the proto today.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:55 pm
Catamount123 wrote:
Hopefully the Stretch XL has the same 3 mm blade thickness as the smaller versions?

Hi Catamount,

sal

Sal, I would really not mind if you posted a pic in the "what Spyderco is in your pocket today" - thread for the first time ... :smirk
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Seems everyone knows but me:

What's the blade length on the Stretch XL?

Read the whole thread and not one hint...unless I missed it...don't tell me, it's in the first post, right?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:15 pm
Seems everyone knows but me:

What's the blade length on the Stretch XL?

Read the whole thread and not one hint...unless I missed it...don't tell me, it's in the first post, right?

4" as far as I know (whole blade, choil included) - not entirely sure anymore though.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

4.0"

sal
Holland

Post by Holland »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:05 pm
sal wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:55 pm
Catamount123 wrote:

Hi Catamount,

sal

Sal, I would really not mind if you posted a pic in the "what Spyderco is in your pocket today" - thread for the first time ... :smirk
+1
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
sal

Post by sal »

I haven't yet learned how to post pics. I'm in the process of seeking an assistant. I'll get them to post pics. Bit we generally don't post any pics of new models until they are less than 6 months from production.

sal
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

I’m still holding out for a police 4 xl 😶
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
sal

Post by sal »

First of all, I would like to thank Lance for his opinion that the stretch 2 XL, was, in his opinion, the best of the Blade show. Since I am biased as the Stretch 2 XL is my design, but it is the result of more than 40 years of design experience.

I just received the prototype made from tooling. In my opinion, the production sample is exactly what I had hoped for. The sample is a highly functional, ergonomic, balanced and contains all of the design evolution of the past 40 years. bi-directional texture, finger choil, ergonomic handle with and without the finger choil, full flat grind with double distal taper, jimping on the blade and finger choil, Boye dent, FRN handle with nested skeletonized liners, highly functional blade shape, 4 way clip, lanyard hole, hole opener, high quality build and good edge geometry. I'm planning the design in VG-10, CPM-Cruwear, K390 and a sprint in SPY27.

I hope you like it.

sal
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Definitely looking forward to this Sal. The Stretch is my favorite design, and as a guy with XL hands, I can't wait to hold the XL.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

sal wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:15 pm
First of all, I would like to thank Lance for his opinion that the stretch 2 XL, was, in his opinion, the best of the Blade show. Since I am biased as the Stretch 2 XL is my design, but it is the result of more than 40 years of design experience.

I just received the prototype made from tooling. In my opinion, the production sample is exactly what I had hoped for. The sample is a highly functional, ergonomic, balanced and contains all of the design evolution of the past 40 years. bi-directional texture, finger choil, ergonomic handle with and without the finger choil, full flat grind with double distal taper, jimping on the blade and finger choil, Boye dent, FRN handle with nested skeletonized liners, highly functional blade shape, 4 way clip, lanyard hole, hole opener, high quality build and good edge geometry. I'm planning the design in VG-10, CPM-Cruwear, K390 and a sprint in SPY27.

I hope you like it.

sal

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH CruWear K390 and SPY27

Major bombshell! :smiling-heart-eyes :smiling-heart-eyes :smiling-heart-eyes
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

sal wrote:

I hope you like it.

sal
Holy crap! I’ve been interested in pocket knives since probably 1987, and seriously adopted the EDC thing about 10 years ago. This is the first time felt that the perfect blade for my hand size and preferences is imminent. I’m going to buy several backups. The excitement I’m feeling right now….I can’t properly convey it. Thank you Sal, that’s all I can say!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

sal wrote:

I hope you like it.

sal
Hey Sal, I was really impressed with the design. I feel like I’ve owned and handled so many great knives over the last decade that I’ve kind of gotten “desensitized” but every now and then a design still manages to really speak to me. That’s how I felt about the Stretch XL. To me it felt like what I always wanted the Stretch to be. I have posts on here going back a decade asking for a backlock Military but honsestly, I think this knife is even better. The handle is every bit as comfortable and roomy as the Military but felt a bit more compact when folded. Honestly, I’m kind of surprised that the blade is 4”…I would have guessed a bit shorter after handling it because the knife felt more “Endura sized” to me. I also like the edge profile on this one (and the original Stretch) better than the Millie. More straight edge with a more pronounced belly. I like that traditional skinner style for my uses. I think this one is a home run in every way. There’s only one thing missing…

I REALLY hope you guys are already working on a linerless Salt version. I never really petitioned that hard for the regular Stretch to be converted but I NEED a salt version of this one. We ALL need one!! I might even carry a Stretch XL salt over my Siren every now and then…if you promise not to tell anyone. :zipper
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Hmmm… maybe two in Cruwear for me? Hopefully a regular run and not just a limited run.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Surfingringo wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:37 pm
sal wrote:
Hey Sal, I was really impressed with the design. I feel like I’ve owned and handled so many great knives over the last decade that I’ve kind of gotten “desensitized” but every now and then a design still manages to really speak to me. That’s how I felt about the Stretch XL. To me it felt like what I always wanted the Stretch to be. I have posts on here going back a decade asking for a backlock Military but honsestly, I think this knife is even better. The handle is every bit as comfortable and roomy as the Military but felt a bit more compact when folded. Honestly, I’m kind of surprised that the blade is 4”…I would have guessed a bit shorter after handling it because the knife felt more “Endura sized” to me. I also like the edge profile on this one (and the original Stretch) better than the Millie. More straight edge with a more pronounced belly. I like that traditional skinner style for my uses. I think this one is a home run in every way. There’s only one thing missing…

I REALLY hope you guys are already working on a linerless Salt version. I never really petitioned that hard for the regular Stretch to be converted but I NEED a salt version of this one. We ALL need one!! I might even carry a Stretch XL salt over my Siren every now and then…if you promise not to tell anyone. :zipper
Lance, you probably won´t recall but let me ask nevertheless:

Does the Stretch XL that rather unique "edge profile" the "regular" Stretch offers?
I mean by that not a more or less continous curve / belly in the edge like PM2 (and Millie) have, but a long, totally straight section and then a pronounced belly towards the tip.
For me the latter (Stretch) edge profile works better: Cuts like a wharnie in the first half of the blade (more power gets transferred, not as likely to slip of material, better for whittling...), and the more pronounced belly is nice to have too.
One of several reasons why for me the Straight Spine Stretch is the "better PM2"
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I will be looking forward to this knife . Thank you for the update . Regards MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

sal wrote:

I hope you like it.

sal
Thank you Sal! I'm very excited about this design. Will certainly procure multiples in several steels. Can't wait to put one thru its paces!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wow! No choil! Fantastic. I think this is going to be the knife I have been harping on wanting for all of the years I've been on the forum. I have long wanted a back lock military, but this may be even better. I can't wait for it to come out.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

Excited to see this one revealed. I've always liked the stretch ergos but prefer the size of the Military and Police. This could become a new favorite.
:unicorn
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Doc Dan wrote: Wow! No choil! Fantastic. I think this is going to be the knife I have been harping on wanting for all of the years I've been on the forum. I have long wanted a back lock military, but this may be even better. I can't wait for it to come out.
It does have a finger choil. - "...bi-directional texture, finger choil, ergonomic handle with and without the finger choil, full flat grind with double distal taper..."

What I understood that to mean is that the handle is ergonomic whether using the choil or not.
-Nick :bug-red