If you are NEW to sharpening, or having DIFFICULTY, YOU NEED TO SEE THIS THREAD

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Deadboxhero

Re: If you are NEW to sharpening, or having DIFFICULTY, YOU NEED TO SEE THIS THREAD

Post by Deadboxhero »

The goal here is not to say that you need a USB microscope to see if you're getting a sharp edge, That's nonsense.

The biggest problem we face is that we are all not in the same room together. We are separated by our screens and what we can type and articulate with words.

Being able to share images of edges close up is a way to defeat the limits that we face of being so far from each other and not being able to see through each other's eyes.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
mb1

Re: If you are NEW to sharpening, or having DIFFICULTY, YOU NEED TO SEE THIS THREAD

Post by mb1 »

@deadboxhero Yes!

Hey Shawn, is the edge on the original post freehand or guided? Just curious.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:26 pm

I mean it doesn't have to be any kind of measuring contest, I'm not here to flex on anybody.

In this world we have what we think is happening and what is actually happening and the more tools we could use to rule things out and to see things more objectively and empirically always is rewarding and is nothing to be afraid of.

The spirit and intention of this thread is to keep things as simple as possible with less nuances and idiosyncrasies that overwhelm people that are just getting started.
Oh I have my usb microscope ready for when that thread comes along. I'm always trying to learn and when you share knowledge I never see it as flexing.
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:29 pm
Now I just try to sneak up on the apex without deliberately forming a noticeable burr.
This is what works for me. I hate chasing a large burr and if I work one side of the edge until there is a burr along the entire edge it ends up being a very large burr that becomes a pain to remove. I will approach from both sides, alternating as I go. If the knife is really dull I will work for a while on one side and then turn over and work the other side checking for a burr periodically on both sides as I go. That way even when there is a burr formed it is not terribly large.

I sharpen freehand so swapping sides is quick.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:29 pm
The goal here is not to say that you need a USB microscope to see if you're getting a sharp edge, That's nonsense.

The biggest problem we face is that we are all not in the same room together. We are separated by our screens and what we can type and articulate with words.

Being able to share images of edges close up is a way to defeat the limits that we face of being so far from each other and not being able to see through each other's eyes.

For the record I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying what works and doesn't work for me. Obviously what you're doing is getting you excellent results.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:01 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:29 pm

For the record I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying what works and doesn't work for me. Obviously what you're doing is getting you excellent results.
David, I'm not worried about who's right or wrong, I just want the discussion enhanced, that would be very exciting for us all to geek out on.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
vivi

Post by vivi »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:04 pm
If we want to make this thread more interesting we should all have USB microscopes and take pictures of our edges and share, that will be a much more rewarding discussion than just conjecture which is boring.

If everybody could save a dollar a week for example, then in 10 months, we could all afford to purchase a USB microscope for $40 and then we can make this thread or a new thread more interesting with more objective and empirical discussion. That would be refreshing.

Perhaps maybe sooner if people can make the hard commitment and sacrifice of $40 to a USB microscope to enhance their knowledge and entertainment in discussing sharpening in more detail.
Which model do you use? I have access to a very high end one in a lab but would like one for home use. I'd use it on my freehand edges and share the results here.
:unicorn
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

I use my 4 year old phone instead of a computer. So i would need to research a bit on how to take pictures with such setup. Pictures are indeed worth a thousand words.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
mb1

Post by mb1 »

vivi wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:26 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
If we want to make this thread more interesting we should all have USB microscopes and take pictures of our edges and share, that will be a much more rewarding discussion than just conjecture which is boring.

If everybody could save a dollar a week for example, then in 10 months, we could all afford to purchase a USB microscope for $40 and then we can make this thread or a new thread more interesting with more objective and empirical discussion. That would be refreshing.

Perhaps maybe sooner if people can make the hard commitment and sacrifice of $40 to a USB microscope to enhance their knowledge and entertainment in discussing sharpening in more detail.
Which model do you use? I have access to a very high end one in a lab but would like one for home use. I'd use it on my freehand edges and share the results here.
Link on Page 2 Vivi.
- Mark

vivi

Post by vivi »

mb1 wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:29 pm
vivi wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:26 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:

Link on Page 2 Vivi.
Thanks. I ordered one.

The detail I see on my edges with a loupe is much different than what I can capture with my phone. Actually seeing the apex in such detail is one of the reasons I switched from primarily polished edges to toothy coarse edges.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I'm just in the middle of sharpening/ reprofiling my Aqua Salt, so here are some pictures!
Fresh edge of the diamond rods

Here next to the tip still needs more work. The painted edge really helps with the identification of areas where the apex hasn't been reached.

Primitive technology :winking-tongue
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Salt 2, 15dps, sharpmaker diamond rods:

It's still possible to observe the "dust" from sharpening on the diamonds.
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

GarageBoy wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:00 pm
I'm still at the "yo edge" level - I feel like I'm not hitting the apex, and raise it a degree or two, and next thing you know my edge has more facets than a Strider nightmare grind

LMAO!!!

Too funny!

I pretty much failed at sharpening for many years, until I finally understood and then did get consistent, properly sharpened deburred edges. The VAST majority of people I know cannot sharpen a knife.
Interestingly, I've asked all of the one's that I know if they'd like me to explain & show the mechanics behind it, and all but a very few told me "no" or "no thanks" or "not interested", etc...

Heck, my buddies wife (among others) has told me on several occasions - "no, not interested", and "I don't need to. I'll just wait 'till you visit again, and sharpen them for me again."
or "I'll just get husband's name to buy a new one." Not even kidding.

And no, her husband (a guy I've known for about 30 years) does not know how to sharpen a knife either, and doesn't want to know how. For him, one of those "carbide pull through things" is more than good enough. When the blade is to thick to drop into the slot, time to buy a new knife... No, he does not buy expensive knives.

For myself, for MANY years, the vast majority of the time, what I'd have was a burr that I was feeling, and would shave arm hair. I thought it was a properly sharpened edge... which was/is wrong.

Those burrs felt GREAT though, lol, but a burr is not a properly sharpened/apexed, deburred edge...
Not by a long shot.

Thankfully, many years ago, I finally got some explanations that I understood, and did then begin properly sharpening my knives.

In hindsight, it is super simple - but for various reasons the knowledge and good explanation(s) just evaded me... for many years. I thought I had a clue - but I didn't and was wrong, lol.

Unfortunately, there's quite A LOT of "garbage info" out there though, in regards to sharpening...
and/or A LOT of "experts" out there giving bad advice.
They sure do (and did) sound and look good doing it... to my ignorant, naive, novice self.
Not blaming them in any way fwiw. 100% on me - for me.

u.w.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Deadboxhero wrote:
You can also use the cheap macro lenses that clip onto phones. A lot more convenient and will accomplish the goal.

But there’s more to the edge than what it looks like. You can’t see what that burr is doing to the steel structure.
autoxer

Post by autoxer »

I'm not very good at sharpening yet, and I think this perfectly illustrates my issues that are holding me back. All I have is the sharpmaker with the included brown and white rods though... And honestly I think I've been expecting too much out of the brown rods. I can use them for hours, but if my knife started out pretty dull (as opposed to just needing a touch up), I feel like I make almost no progress.

Are the diamond or CBN rods basically required if I want to become good with this tool?

Edited to say I do have a loupe, usb microscope, and have read about this topic quite a lot here... I think I have to accept that I need different stones for jobs where a considerable amount of steel needs removed to get to the point shown in these photos.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Absolutely yes @autoxer. CBN or diamond rods will save you a bunch of wasted time on those really dull edges/reprofile jobs.
- Mark

mb1

Post by mb1 »

Just ran across this video. Fits well here. My phone must be spying on me again.

- Mark

Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

zhyla wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:44 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
You can also use the cheap macro lenses that clip onto phones. A lot more convenient and will accomplish the goal.

But there’s more to the edge than what it looks like. You can’t see what that burr is doing to the steel structure.
Whats the magnification on those things? Can it pin point fracture points from the burr? Or other burr related micro damage unseen by the human eye? Ive burr sharpened alot of knives with many steels and stones. Never had issues with edge rolling or excessive chipping. However ive never zoomed in with high magnification to see if big burrs were causing microtears. Forming large burrs under magnification should exaggerate the damage and be more visible. Smarter ppl than me might be able to calculate what the performance drop is when light and heavy burrs are formed.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Deadboxhero wrote:

Man, I'm in!

Had no idea that those microscopes are that affordable.
Just have to find an European source for the one (or a similar one) you linked (purchasing this one would result for me in shipping costs higher than the price of the item itself plus tarriffs and taxes...;) )

/ And to all who might be afraid or ashamed to share their possibly imperfect or even crappy edges: I think like there is no silly question on this forum as long as it is an honest one, there is no "too bad" edge. For one getting feedback by more advanced folks is a great opportunity to improve personally. And: Pics of imperfect edges and then discussing those can be good examples for many on "how NOT to do" or "how to do better".
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:43 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:

Man, I'm in!

Had no idea that those microscopes are that affordable.
Just have to find an European source for the one (or a similar one) you linked (purchasing this one would result for me in shipping costs higher than the price of the item itself plus tarriffs and taxes...;) )

/ And to all who might be afraid or ashamed to share their possibly imperfect or even crappy edges: I think like there is no silly question on this forum as long as it is an honest one, there is no "too bad" edge. For one getting feedback by more advanced folks is a great opportunity to improve personally. And: Pics of imperfect edges and then discussing those can be good examples for many on "how NOT to do" or "how to do better".
I found some of the same model for $20 on ebay, might be worth checking there.