Poll: Would You Buy a K390 Military, Featuring Green Canvas Micarta and a Titanium Reeve Integral Lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you buy one?

Yes
50%
No
43%
Maybe: Please Explain
7%

Total votes: 136

kennethsime

Poll: Would You Buy a K390 Military, Featuring Green Canvas Micarta and a Titanium Reeve Integral Lock?

Post by kennethsime »

If I were to pitch my dream knife, it'd be K390 Military, with one Green Canvas Micarta scale and one Titanium scale featuring a Reeve Integral Lock. Bonus points if the Micarta scale can be contoured a bit just like the Shaman.

I realize it will be an expensive knife. I realize it probably won't be everybody's cup of tea. But in my book, it'd be the best **** pocket knife ever made, and I'd carry it every day.

So, what do you think?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
MacLaren

Re: Poll: Would You Buy a K390 Military, Featuring Green Canvas Micarta and a Titanium Reeve Integral Lock?

Post by MacLaren »

Of course I would.
The Military is my favorite Spyderco model.
Bohler K390 is awesome steel.
Oh yes, count me in.
BangBang77

Re: Poll: Would You Buy a K390 Military, Featuring Green Canvas Micarta and a Titanium Reeve Integral Lock?

Post by BangBang77 »

Absolutely. No matter the cost.

My favorite steel is K390 and although I prefer the PM2 platform over the Military, I would snatch one up in a heartbeat to add to my growing collection of Spyderco K390 knives - currently two PM2s, two Delica 4s, and an Endela and a Manbug on the way.
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:45 am
Of course I would.
The Military is my favorite Spyderco model.
Bohler K390 is awesome steel.
Oh yes, count me in.
Agreed! I would be in as well.
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Yes. Instant buy. The military has a very specific set of uses for me, mostly in yard work chores, and I've abused the heck out of my 204p variant. I'd buy K390 in a heartbeat for those uses. Rust is a non-issue for my uses because I'd be beating it up for several hours, then cleaning it each time I used it. And even if I got some rusting, I wouldn't care. This would be a perfect user for me.

I think I'd prefer standard liner lock with micarta on both sides (better grip for me), but I'd go with it either way. The RIL/s90v is my favorite military--I just don't abuse it like I do the 204p.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Wrong handed lock, but wouldn't buy it even if it was left handed because it's too big for my back pocket and K390 isn't stainless.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Nope. Love all the individual components you've listed: green canvas Micarta, Bohler K390, titanium frame lock. But I don't see the assembled knife as an improvement over the blurple S110V and the 20 year old 440V models already in my possession.
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

Would a big bear poo in the woods?
kobold

Post by kobold »

A kidney would be a small price to pay!
But if they make it just the usual liner lock and use green canvas micarta on both sides, maybe I could keep my kidney. :preying
Last edited by kobold on Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd probably pass. For whatever reason I really don't like how the frame lock is heavier. I usually don't shy away from weight but it really bothers me on the Military, and besides the cool factor of titanium and a debatable increase in lock strength I don't really see it as an improvement.

And then there's the whole SE thing yadda yadda yadda.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yes!

I would prefer micarta on both sides and a liner lock. I would still buy the frame lock version.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Maybe, for me. It would depend entirely on price. I expect it to be, if it ever gets made, to be ~$400 US. At that price, it's a "no". My one and only Military would have to do in that case.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
RandomNick

Post by RandomNick »

No, I don't like framelocks. Make it a liner lock with micarta for both scales and I'd be on that like a fat kid on a cupcake.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Probably not happening without liners on the micarta side.

Green G10/RIL was a knifeworks thing, right?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:49 pm
Probably not happening without liners on the micarta side.

Green G10/RIL was a knifeworks thing, right?
It was CF/RIL with S90V. Knifeworks also did green g10 and 204p.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The RIL would disincline me. All else with the liner-lock would get me thinking.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I'd definitely buy it.
--Jeremy
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I might buy it if it was the ONLY way to get a K390 Military. If I did buy it, it would sit around unused until I could swap the blade into a different handle, preferably a CF liner lock. I don't care for RIL Militaries.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

dsvirsky wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:20 am
Nope. Love all the individual components you've listed: green canvas Micarta, Bohler K390, titanium frame lock. But I don't see the assembled knife as an improvement over the blurple S110V and the 20 year old 440V models already in my possession.
+ 1
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

When designing a frame lock to work on a long narrow knife like the Military, Spyderco has to make sure not to make the same mistake Zero Tolerance made with the 0452CF. When opening and closing the 0452CF there are issues with fingers pressing on the locking interface.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/