Spyderco River Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you be interested in a new Spyderco river knife?

YES! Where has this been all my life?
11%
NO! The current 420 market offerings are perfect, who needs an awesome performance river knife.
7%
MAYBE. Convince me why I should care.
14%
H1
13%
LC200N
20%
MagnaCut
5%
Other - propose in comments
3%
Serrated edge
20%
Plain edge
4%
Combo edge or double bevel
4%

Total votes: 76

BangBang77

Re: Spyderco River Knife?

Post by BangBang77 »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:07 pm
Isn't the Enuff Salt Sheepsfoot perfect for this already?

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/FB31YL/824
Yep, that would be an excellent knife for the application. Thanks for the link.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I don't see the Caspian 2 Salt making a comeback, so maybe blunting the tip on the upcoming serrated Swick might be a good candidate.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Last time I checked, our river was under 17 feet of sand. Not much need for a river knife.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think a shorter bladed version of the Aqua Salt would be the thing to have. It needs to be light and it needs to have enough handle to actually hold on to in such an extreme environment.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:07 pm
Isn't the Enuff Salt Sheepsfoot perfect for this already?

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/FB31YL/824
That looks like a string possibility, thanks! It’s not a knife I’ve seen much discussion about and frankly didn’t think of it.

BangBang77 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:44 am
I am a swiftwater rescue instructor and mandate in my classes that each student have a fixed blade attached to their PFD somewhere with a lanyard from the knife to a secondary attachment point.

When I am doing whitewater paddling seminars and classes, I make the same recommendation. Many in the paddling community don't understand the proper use of throw bags and rope use around water and some have a tendency to "clip" the end of a throw bag or rope to their PFD with a carabiner when being rescued or doing the rescue. It can turn a patient or a rescuer into a deep-diving crankbait. I tell my students - "Don't be the crankbait!".

The knife is there for immediate access not only for self-rescue and/or extrication from an unknown hazard such as line in the water, but also for cutting a rescue line if needed.

A secondary folder for more measured and precise cuts needed on a float trip can be accomplished with a "salt" folder of some type, preferably one with an SE.
Welcome aboard! Thanks for the field expertise input, it’s exactly what I’m looking for. Part of what sparked this question is my search for a modern PFD with just right pockets, and I keep seeing the little NRS sheath knives designed to clip onto the lash tab. They are interesting, but seem awful short for cutting rope and the steel is not impressive.

What do you think of a knife like the Spyderco Swick for this application? I like the dramatic negative blade angle and finger hole for retention: https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/FB145/1894

skeeg11 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:39 pm
I don't see the Caspian 2 Salt making a comeback, so maybe blunting the tip on the upcoming serrated Swick might be a good candidate.
Indeed, it could be! I’d hate to loose the edge length though. An additional Swick design treated like the Delica / Salt 2 should be just the ticket.
Last edited by Woodpuppy on Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I found this little review while still hunting PFD info:
https://smallboatsmonthly.com/article/w ... -your-pfd/

I had to look up what his knife is, so THIS is the Caspian Salt 2. Looks perfect. Looks like I have my work cut out for me to find one!

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/FB22BK/289
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

I went through this when I was still diving and paddling regularly. Over the course of 25 years I looked at various options for knives attached to my PFDs and BCDs. The Spyderco options I’ve tried have included various Salt folders, the Enuff Salt and a Caspian Salt 2.

For reasons stated in other posts above, my preference is for a fixed blade. From my experience, the Caspian, whilst it looks good on paper and in pictures isn’t the easiest knife to get out of it’s sheath particularly with cold hands and / or wearing gloves. For me, fully serrated, is what I want on/in water and the Caspian’s plain edge section is possibly wasted blade against wet, synthetic material. Sure it has an excellent, secure grip and is very secure in its sheath but the Enuff Salt ended up on both my PFD and on my BCD along with a “Z knife” / line cutter.

Without hesitation, I’d recommend the Enuff Salt.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:05 am

Also the more than enuff will be a salt when it comes out.
Will it? I seem to recall that it will be in VG10 (not entirely sure though).
Which in my use would mean practically totally rustproof anyway.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

If I was looking for a fixed blade and it had to be serrated, probably the Enuff Salt would be my choice. But I have been plenty happy with my Native 5 Salt plain edge for water activities. May pick up an SE version when they become available again, but even on the water I'm not much for SE.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

PSquared wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:10 pm
I went through this when I was still diving and paddling regularly. Over the course of 25 years I looked at various options for knives attached to my PFDs and BCDs. The Spyderco options I’ve tried have included various Salt folders, the Enuff Salt and a Caspian Salt 2.

For reasons stated in other posts above, my preference is for a fixed blade. From my experience, the Caspian, whilst it looks good on paper and in pictures isn’t the easiest knife to get out of it’s sheath particularly with cold hands and / or wearing gloves. For me, fully serrated, is what I want on/in water and the Caspian’s plain edge section is possibly wasted blade against wet, synthetic material. Sure it has an excellent, secure grip and is very secure in its sheath but the Enuff Salt ended up on both my PFD and on my BCD along with a “Z knife” / line cutter.

Without hesitation, I’d recommend the Enuff Salt.
Thank you for that! Combo edge is my least favorite of the edge patterns. What would you think about the upcoming Swick 5 in SE? Are you a proponent of non pointy tips?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

My Sawyer 222 has languished in the garage for (too) many years. But if ever we return to much-missed canoe-tripping, my PFD will sport my Enuff Salt. Enough said.

Oh, wait. Voted H1 and Serrated.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Voted "MAYBE. Convince me.."

I'm not opposed to the idea.. typically, I'm all for trying out new and different designs, especially ones that serve a niche purpose. Seems to me though there are already enough existing options that fill the need.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have an Enuff Salt from back when I thought I'd be getting a kayak. That never happened, sadly. My only wish is that the Enuff Salt blade stock was thinner.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:11 pm
I have an Enuff Salt from back when I thought I'd be getting a kayak. That never happened, sadly. My only wish is that the Enuff Salt blade stock was thinner.
How thick is it? And why no kayak (or better, canoe)?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:18 pm
JRinFL wrote:
The stock is 4mm making for a very stout little blade. The stock on the Moran is only 3mm and seems better suited, to me at least. At least it is a hollow grind, so cutting performance on many things is not compromised too much.

The canoe is a long story, but the kayak was delayed due to life and all the other things I have to do rather than have fun on the water.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:42 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:18 pm
JRinFL wrote:
The stock is 4mm making for a very stout little blade. The stock on the Moran is only 3mm and seems better suited, to me at least. At least it is a hollow grind, so cutting performance on many things is not compromised too much.

The canoe is a long story, but the kayak was delayed due to life and all the other things I have to do rather than have fun on the water.
Ah life. That thing which interferes with plans!!! I know it well. Kids put the brakes on most of my disposable income, but we get on the water often. Sometimes I have to bribe them with food…
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:51 am
VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:05 am

Also the more than enuff will be a salt when it comes out.
Will it? I seem to recall that it will be in VG10 (not entirely sure though).
Which in my use would mean practically totally rustproof anyway.
https://youtu.be/huKGr1WFMeI

At around the 8 minute mark of the knifecenter blade 2021 video, Eric says it will be h1. I would expect other steels to follow.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

JRinFL wrote:
One of the reasons I like the 4mm Enuff Salt for messing about in boats is its emergency-use as a pry bar.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I have spent a lot of time on rivers. I have cut rope in emergency situations. I like an inexpensive fixed blade, serrated, hawk bill with a blunt tip. It is only really good for cutting rope off people or gear. In my vest pocket I carry a longer pointy folder, it's good for cutting anything else.

There have been several good suggestions so far and all with merit to make a good river knife.

Personally, I have given so much gear to the river the last thing I am willing to give is an expensive knife. So, the accessible knife on my vest needs to be something I can easily give again.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

I'm a long time white water paddler with inflateable kayaks and canues and the Aqua Salt serrated is my choice since it was launched. In emergancy case (thankfully I never had one in the past) the pointed tip is a must have when piercing the hull, otherwise there is a risk of beeing fixed by your own boat and drowning.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto