If you are NEW to sharpening, or having DIFFICULTY, YOU NEED TO SEE THIS THREAD

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Deadboxhero

If you are NEW to sharpening, or having DIFFICULTY, YOU NEED TO SEE THIS THREAD

Post by Deadboxhero »

The most common problem I see is not bringing the bevel all the way down and crossing over, this will hold folks back from getting a sharper edge in my experience.

Another problem is having too many inconsistent bevels on the bevel being sharpened.

(I'm not talking about microbevels/compound bevels, calm down)

It should just be one bevel whether flat or convex, blended seamlessly for maximum effectiveness.

Using a sharpie marker to mark the edge and see what's being hit on the stone is a great training aid.

Burr will be on the opposite side, that let's one know when they crossed over all the way.

If one runs their fingers perpendicular off the edge on the opposite side they can feel the burr, light touch is essential.

Burr should be made as small as possible, it will be removed later.

Burr can be observed at an angle and with bright light, the goal however it to "feel" it for speed and convenience. So don't use a light as a crutch, use it as a learning aid

Burr is removed with light touch, alternating passes, same angle.
There are some nuances and some more advanced discussion but that's for another thread. When just starting out just keep it as simple as possible.
K.I.S.S

Stropping enhances, it does not create.
The edge should already be sharp before moving to the strop for the best effect.

Burr should be removed/reduced on the stone not the strop.
Trying to strop a big, nasty burr only "rakes" the surface of the strop or straightens out the burr without removing it making a weaker, wispy burr edge

:winking-tongue

Demonstration

Last edited by Deadboxhero on Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
AlexRus

Re: If you are NEW to sharpening, or having DIFFICULTY, YOU NEED TO SEE THIS THREAD

Post by AlexRus »

Awesome!
👍
curlyhairedboy

Re: If you are NEW to sharpening, or having DIFFICULTY, YOU NEED TO SEE THIS THREAD

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Great guidance.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Good stuff. Love the humor too. 👍
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
BangBang77

Post by BangBang77 »

Excellent thread BBB!!!
Kleon

Post by Kleon »

Great post Shawn ! You give a lot to this community and its appreciated.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Good photos.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yo edge looks like too many trips to the Bass Pro Shop "professional sharpener" on the ol' bench grinder, followed up with a few dozen passes on a Walmart pull-through Dullmaker.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Should be sticky-ed
What magnification is the first photo taken at?

I'm still at the "yo edge" level - I feel like I'm not hitting the apex, and raise it a degree or two, and next thing you know my edge has more facets than a Strider nightmare grind
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Great explanation. After more than 1 week abroad, trying to sharpen my Meadowlark on the bottom of various cups, I can tell you it's not easy to keep the consistency needed for good results. I'm back home and in fact I'm sharpening / reprofiling my SE Salt 2 and first thing I got was the sharpie. The third portion on the edge, next to the point of the blade, wasn't being hit, and I could only observe that because of the sharpie. Now it's almost done (burr on 80% of the blade).

Edited to add: this should be 📌
Last edited by tonijedi on Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Awesome thread, thanks for sharing this info!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Hardbawl

Post by Hardbawl »

Thank you. No BS, just common sense.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Nothing but good advice in your post.

I like the emphasis on getting a crisp edge prior to getting out the strop. Some folks would be surprised how easy it is to get a shaving sharp apex off their reprofiling stone.
:unicorn
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

lol

Nice explanations.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Great stuff. Working the burr properly is so important!
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Preach
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
jdw

Post by jdw »

I appreciate it. Excellent advice and guidance.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

So good. Thanks, man!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Great thread.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

vivi wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:00 pm
Nothing but good advice in your post.

I like the emphasis on getting a crisp edge prior to getting out the strop. Some folks would be surprised how easy it is to get a shaving sharp apex off their reprofiling stone.

FAR too many people use strops to "remove a burr" which may seem like it works and may give you a sharp edge but you'll see a significant difference in edge retention if you cut off the burr with stones and THEN strop. Same goes for "maintaining an edge" with a strop, you're just bending the teeth of the edge back straight which weakens the steel and promotes micro chipping and ruins edge retention. Diamond compounds may help but at some point you have to ask yourself what is a strop with diamond compound doing that a very high grit stone can't do?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David