Para 3 Lightweight Modifications/After Market Parts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gawazir

Para 3 Lightweight Modifications/After Market Parts

Post by gawazir »

Hello. Does anyone know where I can find replacement scales or backspacers for the Para 3 LW? Flytanium has no plans to produce any and I’m having trouble finding anything online, except for a couple of websites that appear to be somewhat dodgy. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks, in advance.
VooDooChild

Re: Para 3 Lightweight Modifications/After Market Parts

Post by VooDooChild »

Other than the clip, I dont think there are any options for the para 3 lightweight.

I havent seen any backspacers. Im sure someone could make some if they wanted to, but I dont know of any.

I havent seen any replacement scales and I highly doubt any will happen.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Hello and welcome!

Since the Para 3 LW is essentially almost linerless, most of its structural support comes from the intricate internal trusses which requires injection molding, something that is prohibitively expensive unless a 3rd-party maker is planning on mass-producing in the thousands. So basically any 3rd-party scale would be nearly impossible.

But, if you have an extra G-10 Para 3, you can swap your LW blade into the Para 3 scale and hardware (and vise-versa) and it will work beautifully.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
darkjabroni

Post by darkjabroni »

Earlier this year I saw a para 3 LW clear acrylic scales being offered for sale on etsy by Nickabrack (https://www.etsy.com/shop/Nickabrack).

I asked them about getting just the scales but they responded that they had to custom fit each scale to each knife in order to get the action perfect, such was the nature of the para 3 LW design. They offered to custom fit one to a knife if I would send one in but seeing as how it was international shipping footing the height of the pandemic I decided not to.

Their shop doesn't have the knife anymore and I can't find one on Google, but imagine clear, transparent plastic, with the internal workings of the knife visible, like a glass window.
foofie

Post by foofie »

There is a seller on Etsy named carbowood. I have no idea what is the quality- but he does make para 3 LW scales in micarta and wood.
I thought the same as nerdlock up above, until I saw them on Etsy.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

foofie wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:58 pm
There is a seller on Etsy named carbowood. I have no idea what is the quality- but he does make para 3 LW scales in micarta and wood.
I thought the same as nerdlock up above, until I saw them on Etsy.

Huh, well now, I'm glad to have been proven wrong, he does indeed make scales that seem to cater to the Para 3 LW specifically. It looks like he uses an integrated back spacer to serve as additional structural support against compressive forces when holding the knife. Although I'm curious on how did he solve the one washer construction of the LW? The FRN handles have a molded flange on one side that acts like a washer.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Interesting.

Way back, or at least some time back when the P3LW was released, I was still in my disappointment phase over the regular P3 and was hoping that some custom maker would make aftermarket scales for the LW that could make it closer to the P3 I actually wanted, i.e. shorter G10 or Micarta scales that got rid of the lanyard tube, improved clip position as well as blade / handle ratio.

Can't really see from the photos if these scales does any attempt to change grip length / shape or if it's a 1:1 copy of the original shape. Doesn't really matter that much, I've come to terms with the P3 as it is, but it would be fun if someone experimented a little with different handle options for the P3(LW) that went beyond just the type of material used.
gawazir

Post by gawazir »

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I figured with the knife being liner-less that would be the big drawback to finding quality aftermarket scales. At this point, if I could just find a nice backspacer that isn't too gaudy with heavy jimping, I'd be happy, preferably G10 or something similar. Oh, well. The search continues...
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear gawazir:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Donut

Post by Donut »

How much different are the liners between the Para 3 and the Para 3 lightweight?

*edit* I just watched a video and there are ALMOST NO liners in the Para 3 lightweight. You probably won't find anything that isn't layered titanium.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
araneae

Post by araneae »

Why not just get a g-10 version to modify if you aren't using the lightweight scales?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
gawazir

Post by gawazir »

Michael Janich wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:56 am
Dear gawazir:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,