High Performance Delica Excitement

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jasonstone20

Re: High Performance Delica Excitement

Post by jasonstone20 »

Somewhere up in Heaven, Cliff Stamp is smiling. He had been advocating a 'performance line' for a while, hopefully it sells well and we see more performance models coming.
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"Life is GOOD!"
--Stefan Wolf, May his memory be a blessing

--Ken Schwartz, May his memory be a blessing

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Too bad they couldn't use K390. I think a compromise steel would have been nice. Many of us are underwhelmed with VG-10.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ABX2011 wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:27 pm
Too bad they couldn't use K390. I think a compromise steel would have been nice. Many of us are underwhelmed with VG-10.
Said it before: But I think VG10 is perhaps one of the best choices here and really not "underwhelming" imho.
Takes a very sharp and very fine (if desired) edge really easy.
Is perfectly suited for experimenting with the edge angle on this thin behind the edge blade: For one it is quick and easy to apply different angles, and then it is also pretty easy to repair the edge (chips, rolls...) if one goes too far with "experimenting"

I really would not want this thing in K390, this would take out a lot of the fun for me. Rather something easy to sharpen and modify, even with not the best equipment and/or skills.

Just my 2c of course, I know many would have liked it to come in K390!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

It would have been cool if this would be in CW or 52100, but I suspect everyone has their own opinion of what steel they’d like a high performance version in. I’ll still pick up one in vg10 and hope they sell well enough to experiment with different steels.
jkurtz7

Post by jkurtz7 »

I think VG-10 is the best choice. Would be great if we could get a Para 3 LW in BD1N with this grind.
Dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe - Dragonfly 2 - Dragonfly 2 Damascus - Urban Sprint AEB-L - Pacific Salt - Endura 4 - Ulize - Para 3 LW - Dragonfly 2 Salt
R100

Post by R100 »

If you like lc200n then you should love vg10. If it helps you could pretend it is a new, limited edition steel that outperforms lc200n in all ways except corrosion resistance. Maybe call it Truwear. ;)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

VG10 at least allows us to test directly against the standard Delicas.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you're excited about the grind but let down by the steel, just keep in mind this idea may never happen again if this thing sells poorly. I'm sure most of us would love to see a "better" steel, but it has to start somewhere. Maybe one day we'll see higher end stuff if this version is received well enough.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm at a point where I'm absolutely fine with VG10. It's the only steel that I've been able to whittle hairs with (ok, I only tried once). I think it's a cool thing for Sal to do regardless of what kind of steel it ends up with
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Holland

Post by Holland »

JRinFL wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:11 pm
VG10 at least allows us to test directly against the standard Delicas.
This ^

I think VG10 will make a great first steel to try this concept with
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I thought narrow VG-10 had a reputation for being chippy? (Kitchen knives w/ high bevel for ex).

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

cycleguy wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:45 pm
I thought narrow VG-10 had a reputation for being chippy? (Kitchen knives w/ high bevel for ex).

CG
No. VG-10 is not a chippy steel... it's more tough, which is what makes it a good steel for kitchen knives with thin blade stock and bevels. It allows the steel to be easily straightened (steeled) for kitchen use before cutting. At least that's my impression and experience. I don't particularly like VG-10 for thicker blades, but for thin kitchen knives it works very well. So I think in this "high-performance" delica it would work well assuming there is thin blade stock, high grind, and a thin bevel.
attila

Post by attila »

FK wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:41 am
"I’ve never had any fit or finish issues with any Spyderco Seki. In fact, the few fit and finish issues I’ve had were all Golden models."

Agree with T.J. I have a large collection of Seki City Spyderco knives,,, all are excellent.

Golden is behind in quality control. New PM2 Cruwear,,, out of the box,,, no detent ball on lock,,, had to send back at my expense for repair. Called customer service,,,, explanation was "Yes, they had problems with QC" How did that new knife slip through final inspection ?
Early Native BF special,, had three with severe Lock Rock up/down movement.

I continue to enjoy Spyderco and have a nice collection of PM2 and Para3 knives.

Regards,
FK
It’s really strange to me for you and others to say this. I’ve had more consistent quality from Golden spydies than those from Seki City. I have been glad that Seki spydies usually don’t appeal to me so that I don’t have to deal with quality issues.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
me2

Post by me2 »

VG 10? Bring it on.
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

I thought that I'd commented in this tread already
stating that I was happy to see this coming, and have zero issues with VG-10 steel
especially in this configuration,
but
I went through it and didn't see any response, ...
:)

And,

jasonstone20 wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:15 pm
Somewhere up in Heaven, Cliff Stamp is smiling. He had been advocating a 'performance line' for a while, hopefully it sells well and we see more performance models coming.
Yes Jason & agreed on all parts!

And,

me2 wrote:VG 10? Bring it on.
Yes!!! and this is one that I would be very interested in getting with NO edge bevel ground on.

u.w.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I actually think VG-10 is one of the better choices that could have been made for this new knife. Later, if it sells well, we will see other steels more than likely. Still, for this knife, VG-10 will be hard to beat.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

Oh, this is very exciting indeed. Shame about VG-10, but as proof of concept, it's a good first step!
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

NickShabazz wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:50 pm
Oh, this is very exciting indeed. Shame about VG-10, but as proof of concept, it's a good first step!
What? Nick Shabazz, excited about a super slicey delica? That’s it, I’m hallucinating, it’s bed time
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Ideally I'd love to see this in a nice fine grained steel like S45VN, run at a little higher hardness (say 62Rc maybe) to really get some excellent thin edge performance. Still interested to see what the final product will be. Could be a very good demonstration of "geometry cuts."
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

As said, I persoanally am more than happy with VG10.
And I personalky love the linered, but still light Delica(-handle).
So: Perfect combo for me.

Still: One option that perhaps would attract even more people and still be really easy to sharpen and modify the edge:
Make it a linerless Salt 2 high performance "Delica" in LC200N.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)