Customer Care redundant nowadays?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ric

Customer Care redundant nowadays?

Post by Ric »

Hi.

Mistakes can happen but they need to be fixed.

1)
I ordered 3 mule sheaths from SFO.
2 kydex and 1 leather.
Shipped was 2 leather and 1 kydex.

I sent 2 emails and and message via the web-form - no response.

2)
I ordered 3 Jesters GITD.
I received 2 (but paid 3).
Sent 2 emails - no response.

Normally, I tend to buy knives in a real store offline. With exclusives this is not possible anymore.

This will definitely slow down my next purchases and money will be spent way less on future knives.
phaust

Re: Customer Care redundant nowadays?

Post by phaust »

If it was me, I'd try calling, and if they didn't pick up and didn't call back, I'd be on to a chargeback.
benchwarmer

Post by benchwarmer »

Yeah I would call also. Got my one Jester fast with no issues.
I wish I was as fortunate…as fortunate as me…
~Ed Ved
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I'm sure that when one of the fine people from Spyderco see your post, they'll put you in contact with someone who can take care of #1 for you. They're incredibly good about that. I've seen Sal take care of several issues like that over the years. You can tell that his customers are very important to him.
Ric

Post by Ric »

Some officials in the forum told to contact SFO.
But no respond.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I see many people asking for "betterments" in knife offerings, but what it seems would worth a bit of investment is the costumer care, international costumers included.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I won't stick up for what anyone feels is poor customer service. I worked that industry for many years and I've seen ALL sides of the situation. The bottom line is, if a customer isn't happy, no matter how petty or ridiculous their issue may SEEM, there is almost always an opportunity there to improve something no matter how hard you're working. It's a tough pill to swallow when you're the company/employee who's already working your butt off as it is.

That said, it does seem like email is by far the worst way to contact Spyderco for pretty much any reason. This may be something they could look into improving somehow.

On the other hand, the interactions/service I've had through phone calls has been absolutely top notch and has gotten me exactly what I wanted every single time, no exceptions.

So, I tend to recommend calling them, but we do live in a digital world these days and emailing is probably the preferred method of contact for many people, and if the system is there it should work as well as any other contact option or this sort of unhappiness is bound to happen.

Ultimately it helps to remember that Spyderco are not a giant company with a 100 person customer service center, you're dealing a handful of people at best (potentially even just one person), so it's very easy for the department to get overwhelmed. This isn't an excuse, it's just the reality of being a somewhat small company that does a crap ton of business for their size. I handle this sort of thing the same way I handle trying to get a job with a company...it's not enough to contact them and then sit back and wait for their response, you need to chase after it and track down the results you're looking for. If I don't get a response from an email in 1-2 days at most I'd be on the phone, if not the same day I place the first email.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

SFO needs to invest in a CRM ticketing system, in my opinion. It may not speed up the response, but it will go a long way to prevent forgotten or overlooked issues.

KnifeJoy needs to get that refund processed ASAP for the missing Jester. If they never respond, contact your credit card company.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:40 am

That said, it does seem like email is by far the worst way to contact Spyderco for pretty much any reason. This may be something they could look into improving somehow.

On the other hand, the interactions/service I've had through phone calls has been absolutely top notch and has gotten me exactly what I wanted every single time, no exceptions.

So, I tend to recommend calling them...
First and foremost: I´ve always been 100% happy with Spydercos customer service (needed replacement clip- / pivot- screws three times), even started a thread once about this.

That said: Phone calls are not always a practical option for Non-US customers, especially if they happen to be not native Speakers in English.
- There is the time shift from Colorado to other parts of the world
- I think many Europeans (and probably folks from other continents too) who are pretty sufficient in written English have problems when having to talk in English resp. understand an English speaking person. (If a call from let´s say Europe to Spyderco in the US is toll free or costs perhaps a lot of money I don´t know) - email is an easier and more practical option in many cases.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I know, I sound like an old fogey.

But, just give them an old fashioned phone call.

As for the Jester issue, you'll likely need to take that up with KnifeJoker. Same thing, phone calls are usually better.

I have always had great help from Spyderco, over the phone. Charlynn is wonderful to deal with.

Edit: I never consider international customers, with me being a stupid American and all.

Regardless, I say to look at it as an excuse to flex your English speaking skills and improve upon them.

There is no better teacher, than experience.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Yeah, next time you need a part for your Toyota just improve your language skills and make a call to Japan...

Leatherman is also an American company and last time I needed to contact them the service was 5 stars, as they happen(ed?) to have a costumer service in Europe.
Danke

Post by Danke »

I didn't know they sold dealer exclusives through the factory store. Where's the link to the page? Can't seem to pull it up.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

In my experience (and I have stated this a couple of times in different threads), the Spyderco customer service is, once they become aware of your message and problem, TOP NOTCH. But sometimes it took me some time and patience to get my message received.

I agree that a phone call is not the best (or even an available) option for international customers who don't feel themselves confident speaking in English or, even if they have a good oral command of the language, have difficulty understanding someone on the phone with an accent that is very different from the accent in the area where they learned English.

If someone learned English in London or Dublin, understanding someone who was born and has lived his/her entire life in Georgia or Alabama is an almost impossible mission. I can personally attest to it :smiling-cheeks

The complaint that Spyderco customer service takes a long time to respond when contacted by email (although when it does, it is fantastic) appears on this forum more often than would be desirable. I guess the P&L give enough room to increase the staff in that department.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Badger410

Post by Badger410 »

A quick search tells me, to call HQ from the UK costs between $1.34 - $4.26 per minute depending on provider.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Any customer should be able to expect a timely response to emails sent to the published customer support email address, no matter where in the world they live.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Danke

Post by Danke »

You know when you're sending email all over the map and no one is replying sometimes the problem is you ISP.

I'm in a small spot with a huge international footprint. I'll get an email from someone in Europe sent after hours that strings into a dozen messages after playing out like the Eminem song with the guy headed for a bridge with the stuff in the trunk to teach us a lesson. I've had people in the UK freaking out at ten pm on a bank holiday over not getting an instant answer. I have to explain to them that everyone in their country is out of the office for a few days and they have to wait.

So if you do have a problem with a transaction most places will have a direct channel to address that via. I've found Spyderco really easy to contact my self. But if the place you're trying to contact is on the other side of the world and you're having a late lunch on a Friday they may be long gone from the office till Monday their time.

Second regardless of who's fault it is when you want something from someone it's more productive to be more friendly and less passive aggressive.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Badger410 wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:42 pm
A quick search tells me, to call HQ from the UK costs between $1.34 - $4.26 per minute depending on provider.
Skype? Google Voice?
They're the first low-cost international calling options to come to mind.
I'm sure there are others in this day and age.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The OP said he also used the webform which eliminates the issues with email. If you as a company offer email support, wether it is via web form or actual email, then it is on you to ensure it is working. Otherwise remove it from your website and packaging.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

I have no clue if customer service handles getting a hard copy of the 2021 catalog, if they do, they are terrible! As I have ordered one many many times and never have received one
Very frustrating as I really don’t like internet as much as a catalog
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
James Y

Post by James Y »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:57 pm
I have no clue if customer service handles getting a hard copy of the 2021 catalog, if they do, they are terrible! As I have ordered one many many times and never have received one
Very frustrating as I really don’t like internet as much as a catalog

I hear you.

This year, I finally received a requested paper catalog from Spyderco for the first time in several years.

Jim