I want a new knife, but something different

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
marty_bill_

Re: I want a new knife, but something different

Post by marty_bill_ »

Wow! That's awesome! Congratulations!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Geo-Ozeki,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

The Amalgam is pretty amazing, imo. Brian said the new batch is cqi and has a stronger detent as well. Makes me want to pick up another and check it out, but I'm hoping one day for an exclusive or sprint, preferably in dlc m4!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

Jared wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:52 pm
So, I want to buy myself a new Spyderco. Sounds fun, right? There’s a catch though - almost all the usual suspects are off the table. I want something different. Something maybe even odd. I’ll start with the stuff I’ve got:

PM2, Manix2, Para 3, Para 3 LW, Native 5 LW, Delica 4 (several), Endura 4 (several), Military, Native Chief, Manix 2 LW, Manix 2 XL, Dragonfly 2, Chaparral, Salt 2, Pacific Salt 2, Shaman, Rockjumper, and an Endela.

Ok, I’ve got a Spyderco problem. I’ll admit it. But I’m celebrating here. I just got a new job, gonna start soon, and I want to commemorate.

My favorites of the ones I’ve listed are the PM2, the Manix 2, and the Endura. I don’t think I could pick an absolute favorite of the 3, but those are the ones I love. The next three would probably be the Shaman, the Military, and the Manix 2 XL.

I tend to prefer larger stuff to little bitty stuff. Still, like I said, I want something different. Something that’s maybe a specialty item. Something that’s maybe less of an EDC all star and more of the type of thing you show to your buddies and they go “wow, that’s different.”

So, for all of you that have maybe done something like this, hit me up with your suggestions. What’s a cool, usable, but maybe a bit “weird” Spyderco and why?
I think the Caribbean might be a good fit for you. 3.5" LC200N, available in drop point and sheepsfoot blade styles, compression lock like the PM2 and some really unique scales.
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
razehound

Post by razehound »

For all the replies suggesting a matriarch 2 SE, I'd say go all the way crazy and grab a Civilian. Thing will turn heads
-razehound :spyder: Spydiechef, Paramilitary 2, Para 3 LW, Salt 2 SE, Spydiechef, Para 3 LW

I'd rather get caught with it than without it...
atv223

Post by atv223 »

Subvert!
atv223

Post by atv223 »

Subvert!
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:47 pm
Schempp Bowie. Weird and interesting design, classy look, thin and slicey blade.

C190CFP_Both.png

I've secretly wanted one for awhile now, but something else always pops up instead..
I just recently acquired a Schempp Bowie (Thank you Spyderco Waranty Dept!)
I am finding it to be a stellar EDC! It seems unusual at first glance but handle it for awhile and it begins to make perfect sense. Is also cool that it has thin blade stock and is thin behind the edge (.015). I will be starting a use/observation thread soon to share more thoughts.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:47 pm
Schempp Bowie. Weird and interesting design, classy look, thin and slicey blade.

C190CFP_Both.png

I've secretly wanted one for awhile now, but something else always pops up instead..
That's an interesting model for sure. Also the Hungarian. Both of them are a little out of the ordinary.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Every devout Spyderco fan should own a "Dodo" model. When I got my first Dodo model upon it's release in 2003 it was such a weird blade ( so I thought at the time) but it grew on me really quickly. And to this day it's one of my iconic Spyderco favorites.

I was sort of challenged to carry and EDC the Dodo for an entire week and I took them up on the offer or you might call it a "dare". Much to my surprised I was absolutely amazed at how functional the Dodo model was when I first seriously used it for an entire week. I do believe it's Eric Glesser's most genius design to date. It was the one model that made me an avid fan of Eric Glesser's designs.

Yeah get a Dodo and at least one of the Spyderco Hawkbill models if you want to truly earn the label of a "SPYDER-HEAD" :cheap-sunglasses
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JD go with your heart buddy ! I’m thinking about a Native Chief love those lines . I don’t have many small knives but recently I have tossing over a Temperance 3 . It’s all good jump in bro ! MG 2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
SpyderLine

Post by SpyderLine »

I'd say either the Smock or the Caribbean
Current Top 3
Kapara, Native 5, Pacific Salt 2
M.N.O.S.D #0034

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
-Theodore Roosevelt
maloosik

Post by maloosik »

Stretch 2 in ZDP-189 while you can, or Super Blue, or V-toku2, or VG10, or in VG10 or K390 with the PM2 clone blade shape. There are also (discontinued but available new if you look) versions in ZDP with brown G10 or CF with a bit longer blade (too big for me to legally conceal). I'm a big fan of the Stretch 2 due to the comfort and utility of the design but personally prefer the drop point older / and still current blade shape. Collect (and use) them all !

also.....

PS2 in LC200N - Weighs in like a Delica but with a bigger (taller) blade than an Endura.

Sage 5 LW - a benchmark for compression locks.

Sage 2 - very well finished, great materials and great hydraulic action - a bit small but a SPydie'd medium Sebenza tribute.

Spydiechef - a Titanium Salt, and what a well thought out blade shape and choice of materials.

Smock - press the button.

Caly 3.5 - obviously discontinued but still available new on that auction $ite. Will be a better knife when re-done with screws, but still great. For me, has the best ergonomics of any knife I've held.

Chaparral LW - small yes, but as much cutting edge as a delica (practically) and wafer thin. Good steel and THIN stock. So easy to slide + clip inside the waistband and disappear. Room left in pocket for a Stretch 2. Winning.
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

#1 Smock
#2 Kapara
Both would fit the bill in most any scenario.