Ikuchi CQI Centering

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zinjashike

Ikuchi CQI Centering

Post by zinjashike »

Hey everyone,

Somewhat new to Spyderco knives, my first real new on is the Spyderco Ikuchi CQI I recently purchased. I had a quick question, the centering looks pretty off for this to my eyes and wondering if this is generally the level expected or if there's anything I should try to center it further. Or should I open a warranty/return? Every review I've heard and read said centering was typically spot on with these.

Sharp Guy

Re: Ikuchi CQI Centering

Post by Sharp Guy »

Personally, I'd just try to adjust it myself. As long as it's not rubbing on the inside of the knife I wouldn't bother to return it. Up to you though

I find it kind of odd that some people have to indicate their version of a model is CQI. It's an Ikuchi period
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

There’s a q tip trick where you loosen the screws all the way around, jam a q tip between the liner and blade on the close side, then tighten everything down. That usually works to align things straighter. Give it a try.
Danke

Post by Danke »

I would probably just use business cards on both sides of the blade to center it and keep it even when adjusting the pivot and other screws.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:51 pm
Personally, I'd just try to adjust it myself. As long as it's not rubbing on the inside of the knife I wouldn't bother to return it. Up to you though

I find it kind of odd that some people have to indicate their version of a model is CQI. It's an Ikuchi period
I'd leave it alone unless it makes the knife cut crooked, but things like that don't bother me.

The first run Ikuchi had issues with the blade tips sitting proud of the liners. A CQI change was made to resolve the issue. Not all CQI changes are obvious.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:38 am
Sharp Guy wrote:

I'd leave it alone unless it makes the knife cut crooked, but things like that don't bother me.

The first run Ikuchi had issues with the blade tips sitting proud of the liners. A CQI change was made to resolve the issue. Not all CQI changes are obvious.
Yeah I guess that one's important enough to note even if it doesn't have any bearing on the centering issue (I wouldn't think so but who knows). I was off topic making that statement here and shouldn't have made it. I have a first run Para 3 and 4 others that had the CQI done on the lock ramp. I don't see the need to call them Para 3 CQI's but I guess there are other people that do
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Personally I wouldn’t return it or make a warranty claim, but it drives me crazy when the blade isn’t centered. I’ve had good luck using a folded piece of paper between the blade and the frame to center some knives and not so much on others. Good luck! I think you have a great knife there.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
PStone

Post by PStone »

Is it possible that the main blade profile isn’t exactly perfect and just makes it appear off center? I have no way of knowing how to check such a thing, but seems like a possibility.
phaust

Post by phaust »

I don't think that's a warranty issue.

Some good advice and things to try in this thread if it bothers you.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

CQI also got a pivot bushing. And quite the stiff detent.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:08 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:38 am
Sharp Guy wrote:

Yeah I guess that one's important enough to note even if it doesn't have any bearing on the centering issue (I wouldn't think so but who knows). I was off topic making that statement here and shouldn't have made it. I have a first run Para 3 and 4 others that had the CQI done on the lock ramp. I don't see the need to call them Para 3 CQI's but I guess there are other people that do
Of course, the other side of the coin is that pretty much every Spyderco after the first production run of its model could be called a CQI, so why bother pointing it out at all?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

yablanowitz has a point since the "C" in CQI is continuous.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:07 am
That was basically my point and why I think it's kind of odd to call out that a model is a CQI version. I get that some of the changes are worth noting and I guess stating "CQI" is a easy way to do that. I guess I just need to not let something like that bother me. It's kind of like the nicknames they call some of these exclusives (Avacado? lol)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:21 am
JRinFL wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:07 am
That was basically my point and why I think it's kind of odd to call out that a model is a CQI version. I get that some of the changes are worth noting and I guess stating "CQI" is a easy way to do that. I guess I just need to not let something like that bother me. It's kind of like the nicknames they call some of these exclusives (Avacado? lol)
Agreed.

I think, but am not sure, that it got started when the pivots were greatly improved on some models. It was a large enough improvement that was noticed by many.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I'd take it apart and put it back together...

I would not send it in, it would be a waste of time and resources.
So it goes.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Some folks couldn’t get on with the opening of the Ikuchi iirc, so be sure it’s for you before you dismantle it!

After it broke-in, the action on mine has been fantastic.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zinjashike wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:24 pm
Hey everyone,

Somewhat new to Spyderco knives, my first real new on is the Spyderco Ikuchi CQI I recently purchased. I had a quick question, the centering looks pretty off for this to my eyes....
Welcome to the forum!

Honestly I would not be bothered at all by that just slightly off centered blade (and taking into account the whole blade length it IS just slightly). No functional issue, right?

I personally never understood why people see 100% perfect centering as an important sign of "quality". It is really not imho, and to be honest: I think if "the internet" would not have hyped this "issue" many would not even notice it.

Just my 2c, but I'd say: Don't let yourself get distracted by such a meaningless thing from just enjoying your knife . You won't notice the "off centering" in use or carry at all.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)