Rattled Canis

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mb1

Rattled Canis

Post by mb1 »

So my Canis has a rattle up front (pivot end) when closed. It goes away as soon as the detent is broken, all the way to fully locked open, anywhere in that range it’s fine. I assume it’s the detent ball rattling.

Anyone experience this minor annoyance and find a fix on this or other models? Maybe a drop oil would do it. (Edit: nope on the oil.)
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Evil D

Re: Rattled Canis

Post by Evil D »

Do these have floating stop pins? My Caribbeans have them and they'll rattle when not under pressure. I put a little dab of grease on the end of the pin when I reassemble and it shuts them right up.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Its the stop pin.
Same as the caribbean.

I dont know why Taichung doesnt use stepped floating stop pins like Golden.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Ah thx. I started to take it apart the other day and it apparently is locktited…tight! I’ll heat it up soon and try the grease.

Thx much!
- Mark

mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

My Canis also rattles in the closed position. I agree with others that the stop pin is the cause. I haven't gotten around to trying grease as a fix.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Yesterday when I thought to try a tiny drop of oil on the detent ball, it made no difference. Today it’s quiet for the first time ever! I guess some oil migrated to that stop pin. So you may not even have to disassemble. Try a little oil on the edges of the pin itself.
- Mark

kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

The lanyard tube on my Advocate rattles. It's annoying, so I feel your pain. I think I'm going to try D's suggestion of grease to see if that will help.
--Jeremy
mb1

Post by mb1 »

My Chef has the rattly lanyard tube. I think many/most of those do. Let me know if you solve that one.
- Mark

mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

kerrcobra, I removed the lanyard tube on my Advocate to stop the rattle. I like the less cluttered look and I don't use lanyards anyway.
Attachments
advocate lanyard tube delete.jpg
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I’ve used green Permatex 29000, (same as Loctite 290,) on lanyard tubes. It seeps into joints, or threads, so you don’t have to disassemble anything. Clean up excess with acetone (nail polish remover) on a cotton swab. Half a small drop makes it quiet.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

mikey177 wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:21 pm
kerrcobra, I removed the lanyard tube on my Advocate to stop the rattle. I like the less cluttered look and I don't use lanyards anyway.
Hey Mikey, that's actually a great idea. I don't use lanyards either, so I think I'll just remove mine too. I love the Advocate, but I stopped carrying it as much because of the annoying rattle.
--Jeremy
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

kerrcobra wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:16 am
mikey177 wrote:
Hey Mikey, that's actually a great idea. I don't use lanyards either, so I think I'll just remove mine too. I love the Advocate, but I stopped carrying it as much because of the annoying rattle.
Just be careful with the washers for the ball bearings if you decide to take it apart. They are pretty thin and easily bent out of shape, as I learned from the disassembly videos that I watched.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

mikey177 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:30 am
kerrcobra wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:16 am
mikey177 wrote:
Just be careful with the washers for the ball bearings if you decide to take it apart. They are pretty thin and easily bent out of shape, as I learned from the disassembly videos that I watched.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll watch some disassembly videos too.
--Jeremy