Spyderco Folder Models You Would Like To See In A Fixed Blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyderco Folder Models You Would Like To See In A Fixed Blade

Post by JD Spydo »

OK I know I've run this same thread before over the years but this is truly one subject that bears repeating. Because there are so many new Spyderco folders introduced over the years that I've thought would make a great fixed blade.

With a really good thread currently at this time asking for the return of the C-54 Calypso it is another model that immediately comes to mind that I would like to see a fixed blade version of. With the upcoming C-60 Sprint Run I've thought on several occasions how nice of a fixed blade that model would make. Also I've wondered if the CATCHERMAN model would make a decent fixed blade?

Spyderco has so many full sized folders in the size range of the C-36 Military that could potentially be excellent fixed blades. For years now I've also been saying how nice it would be to have a fixed blade, full SE Hawkbill would be. A fixed blade version ( or slightly larger) of the SE SPYDERHAWK model would be a very useful sheath knife. Also it seems to me that we have a shortage of full SE fixed blade models. I know some of you agree with me on that issue.

OK let's list some of the Spyderco folder models you all would like to see a fixed blade version of?
ladybug93

Re: Spyderco Folder Models You Would Like To See In A Fixed Blade

Post by ladybug93 »

i think a fixed blade manix would be great. on a fixed blade, i might prefer that the choil be left out in favor for more blade.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Subvert, absolutely comes to mind and at the top of the list.
Spyderco Tough but it is pretty strong as a folder, vis á vis “Tough”
Spyderco civilian
Harpy
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

It would be a Dragonfly for me. Love small fixed blades. Build a pocket sheath for it. Yea DF or other smallish knives.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I would like to see a fixed blade Wharncliffe or Sheepsfoot. Less than 3.5 inches. Kydex sheath. I don’t really care if it’s based on a folder though.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
kodai78

Post by kodai78 »

Oops, double post.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I'd love to see something that's already a fixed blade (Enuff) made with thin K390.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

kodai78 wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:54 am
I would like to see a fixed blade Wharncliffe or Sheepsfoot. Less than 3.5 inches. Kydex sheath. I don’t really care if it’s based on a folder though.
Have you tried the Ronin 2? It's a fixed-blade version of the Yojimbo 2 & might fit your need for a fixed-blade Wharncliffe. I have one & it makes for a good small outdoors utility/EDC knife. The handle could be a little thin for some people, but I think that's part of the original design remit as a concealable self-defence tool (it doesn't imprint as much as many similarly-sized knives I own).

There's also the Enuff Sheepsfoot variant (available in either VG-10 or H-1), although it only comes in a serrated configuration.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I have enough fixed blades in PE, but I would like something like Doug Ritter's RSK fixed knife with serrations.

So maybe the Military SE, and the Caribbeans w/ SE.
And as always, a Ben Orford style pocket parang.

As for the small ones - the Dragonfly SE and the Chap w/ a SE.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Personally, I don't believe in taking a folding knife design and just simply converting that design into a fixed blade. It should go without saying that folding knives and fixed blade knives are inherently different and due to that, they're designed differently. A fixed blade is not required to fold into it's own handle, therefore the handle can really be optimized for the blade.

There has to be some consideration for the fact that a fixed blade is not required to fold into its own handle. Converting a folding knife design into fixed blade without any sort of redesign would be a lazy way of creating something "new," in my opinion.

The example zuludelta provided about the Yoijimbo 2 and the Ronin 2 is ideal. Those are perfect examples of how I believe a folding knife design should be translated into a fixed blade. The Ronin 2 maintains the same character and features of the Yojimbo 2 without changing anything too drastically but is clearly a different design.

That being said, I think with some redesign to optimize the handle as a true fixed blade, the Shaman could make a fantastic fixed blade model.
-Nick :bug-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm going to initially say none, but hear me out.

The main advantage of a fixed blade is that the relationship of the blade and handle is not limited to having to fold the blade into the handle, so things like length/angle/width have a lot more freedom in how they're designed. Folders have to fold, and so by nature they'll always be inferior in this way (at least of these are qualities you see as being "better"). So just taking a folder and making it a fixie isn't very appealing to me.

Now, fixies that are based on folders is an excellent topic. There are many folder designs that I think would excel as fixed blades if you also tweaked some things to maximize the advantages of a fixed blade....

Shaman...just give it a 5 inch blade and change nothing else and it would be amazing.

Vallotton...same thing, like the Shaman it already has a very fixie-esc handle so making it a fixed blade and giving it more blade length would be super cool.

I could see a Caly 3/3.5 with a longer blade.

Dragonfly with even 1 inch more blade.

The sister topic to this (for me) is much more interesting, give me a Bushcraft folder while keeping it as true to the original dimensions, but going in this direction is much more challenging because you start to introduce those folder limitations into a design that wasn't created within them so you immediately start making compromises.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kodai78

Post by kodai78 »

Have you tried the Ronin 2? It's a fixed-blade version of the Yojimbo 2 & might fit your need for a fixed-blade Wharncliffe. I have one & it makes for a good small outdoors utility/EDC knife. The handle could be a little thin for some people, but I think that's part of the original design remit as a concealable self-defence tool (it doesn't imprint as much as many similarly-sized knives I own).

There's also the Enuff Sheepsfoot variant (available in either VG-10 or H-1), although it only comes in a serrated configuration.
[/quote]

Thanks, I will take a look at the Ronin but I was thinking Rockjumper shape wise. I do prefer full tang blades in a fixed blade knife for both strength and balance reasons. I agree wholeheartedly with Mushroom and Evil D and their thoughts on converting a folder to a fixed blade design. Different kind of thing, so start from a clean sheet of paper.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

A 5 or 6 inch fixed blade Military would be spectacular.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:15 am
With a really good thread currently at this time asking for the return of For years now I've also been saying how nice it would be to have a fixed blade, full SE Hawkbill would be. A fixed blade version ( or slightly larger) of the SE SPYDERHAWK model would be a very useful sheath knife. Also it seems to me that we have a shortage of full SE fixed blade models. I know some of you agree with me on that issue.
You might want to check this out if looking for a fixed blade hawkbill salt: G.SAKAI Sabi Knife 9 Shark-RAY https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0753KL9HB/re ... 2Z7SQX2YQT
bjz

Post by bjz »

All of the dragonfly variations on an ARK handle please…oh, and add SE wharncliffe, and maybe something a touch longer such as the chaparral blade. The SE ARK is just so dang light and useful and that handle is surprisingly good and cleanup/maintenance is a piece of cake. There is just a lot of belly in that edge.

I want to say N5 SE/LW and/or tenacious SE/LW…in reality I should just get over it and carry an enuff sheepsfoot at work, but they are just so thick.

Stretch SS…while far from the intended use, the stretch SS is tied for the 2nd most used knife in my kitchen. Due to poor kitchen layout, my knife strip is across the room from the prep area so I keep the stretch SS in a bowl next to the prep area for quick small tasks such as slicing fruit, slicing cheese, etc etc. the VG10, the edge profile (w/ long straight section with rather abrupt belly), the straight spine (surprisingly useful for scraping/moving food items around and off the board) and even the ivory color all work really well in this situation. It’s just a pain in the rear to keep clean and a fixed blade version would be rad, even in a thinner blade stock and molded on handle such as the ARK! The Junction looks like it comes pretty close, but I missed the boat on that one when it was around and the $200 going rate is much too steep for such use, especially when a z-cut and be had for $20 and an edge guard for a few.
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

I forgot to add the Swayback. It be great in a fixed blade. Others have done this but I love my Swayback more everyday!! It's so great!!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Let me explain myself a little more. First off I don't mean that any design you would convert from folder to fixed blade would have to be the same size and scale of the original folder. No not at all. Take the C-60 Ayoob folder model for instance if they would do that design in fixed blade. For sure I would want a longer/larger blade but with the same style of the original design>> and possibly a more modified handle configuration as well.

Going back to the C-54 Calypso and possibly doing a fixed blade version of it. I would definitely want a longer/larger blade and for it to be available in SE & PE both. I just love some of these blade designs so much that I know that style would make for a really functional fixed blade as well.

Some of these blade designs are so good that I just don't want to limit them to one application. I hope that makes my intentions a little more clear.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

kodai78 wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:49 pm

Thanks, I will take a look at the Ronin but I was thinking Rockjumper shape wise. I do prefer full tang blades in a fixed blade knife for both strength and balance reasons. I agree wholeheartedly with Mushroom and Evil D and their thoughts on converting a folder to a fixed blade design. Different kind of thing, so start from a clean sheet of paper.
[/quote]

This is what you seek...what everyone should seek :shush

I would take this knife over any of my folders. Such a powerhouse in a little package, with a nicely done kydex sheath as well!

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I was actually thinking about this a little bit more yesterday and one of the first models that came to mind was the Kiwi 4.

So, I whipped up a quick photoshop version of something I might like to see.

What I came up with is, inadvertently, very similar to the fixed blade kodai78 was asking for. Also, similar to the Bradford Guardian just posted by Rick.

The Kiwi fixed blade -
-Nick :bug-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Years ago I used to think about making a fixed blade Native, but these days I would rather have a fixed blade Chief with fully contoured handle. I'm not even sure I would change the blade to handle ratio. :respect
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001