HELP!!! I need work shoes!!!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Abyss_Fish

HELP!!! I need work shoes!!!

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I work in a kitchen for a living (actually just got a promotion, I'm a chef now!) and I am in desperate need of some new work shoes. The only problem is, I am a massive dude. 6'8 with size 15 feet to be exact. Which makes buying shoes a pain.

I currently wear Birkenstocks clogs (the super-birkis), as I'm partial to their cork soles. They're great for the long hours I work. But they're bulky, not very slip resistant, and quite frankly ugly as sin. I'd go up in fanc-itude within Birkenstock's line but their "boston" and "tokio" super grip models aren't made in 15 (or I think 48 eu) anymore.

So I'm calling all gear experts! I need something new, ideally something EXTREMELY slip resistant, waterproof, and with a removable or especially good insole. And of course simpler is better. Thanks for your suggestions in advance, I'm sorta at my wits end with this mess.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
TomAiello

Re: HELP!!! I need work shoes!!!

Post by TomAiello »

Have you tried Dr Martens?
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:27 pm
Have you tried Dr Martens?
I actually love a lot of their work shoe designs, aaaaand none go up to 15. At least that I can find.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Sorry. My feet are much smaller than yours. I just like Dr. Martens because they come in super wide widths--and my feet are really wide.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Skechers do up to size 16 in work shoes.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Check out bigshoes.com
And look at that Reebok. You may find what yiu need at that website.
My brother in law is 6-5 and wears a big shoe too, I'll ask him this evening. The Rail Road had to special order his boots.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well "FISH" I don't know what you have available to you locally but here where I live in the Kansas City area we have a few of those "Big Man" shops where they specialize in clothing for big & tall men. I have two big friends who have to go to those places.

First off I would give a plug to Redwing shoes. I'm certain that they manufacture shoes your size.

Myself after two knee replacements I pretty much only wear New Balance running shoes which I find extremely comfortable. Not sure what your employer requires but there are also Safety Supply houses that carry several different brands of work shoes and boots.

I'll see what else I can find out. But do at least check out Redwing's great products.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'm going to go another way with this post and just congratulate you on your promotion, Chef. 👨‍🍳
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:21 pm
So I'm calling all gear experts! I need something new, ideally something EXTREMELY slip resistant, waterproof, and with a removable or especially good insole.
My philosophy is that in a professional context, it's best to dress and look just a little bit nicer than you really are. With that in mind, there are three shoe manufacturers that cater to people who do real work. Irish Setter, Red Wing, and Thorogood are the three brands that I've enjoyed wearing in recent years. The other suggestion I have is to ditch whatever insoles come in your shoes and replace them with SuperFeet. I like the green ones in all my shoes. Whatever shoes you eventually choose, getting top-shelf insoles will make you happy.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Congrats on the promotion!

I use some nonslip leather upper sketchers and I like them a lot more than clogs. Better protection for my feet from spilling hot liquids and much more comfortable.

I'll see if I can find a model # in mine. I wear 13/14 so I sometimes deal with having a limited selection too, but not as bad as 15's.
:unicorn
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:43 am
Check out bigshoes.com
And look at that Reebok. You may find what yiu need at that website.
My brother in law is 6-5 and wears a big shoe too, I'll ask him this evening. The Rail Road had to special order his boots.
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:46 am
Well "FISH" I don't know what you have available to you locally but here where I live in the Kansas City area we have a few of those "Big Man" shops where they specialize in clothing for big & tall men. I have two big friends who have to go to those places.

First off I would give a plug to Redwing shoes. I'm certain that they manufacture shoes your size.
JRinFL wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:35 am
I'm going to go another way with this post and just congratulate you on your promotion, Chef. 👨‍🍳
RustyIron wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:10 am
My philosophy is that in a professional context, it's best to dress and look just a little bit nicer than you really are. With that in mind, there are three shoe manufacturers that cater to people who do real work. Irish Setter, Red Wing, and Thorogood are the three brands that I've enjoyed wearing in recent years. The other suggestion I have is to ditch whatever insoles come in your shoes and replace them with SuperFeet. I like the green ones in all my shoes. Whatever shoes you eventually choose, getting top-shelf insoles will make you happy.

Thank you all for your kind words and great suggestions. I think what I'm going to do is get some of Red Wing's work boots (the 6349's to be specific) and throw a Birkenstock sole in em. That model seems to have all of the bells and whistles I need, although I wish it was a low top. Oh well. My local Red Wing store is ordering up a pair, can't wait to get em!
Lightly insane.

vivi

Post by vivi »

:unicorn
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

I’m a respiratory therapist, 6’4/260lbs/size 15 shoe, and typically log 7+ miles a shift. For me the trick is insoles. I swear by Superfeet Orange insoles for work. They’ve helped my feet and back tremendously since I started using them. I like what’s frequently marketed as combat boots with the insoles inside; they’re typically a stable platform and secure around my ankles giving good support there as well. Currently I’m in a pair of first generation GoRuck Macv-1. They were clearanced out for half price when the second gen came out and are non-slip on solid floors but didn’t do so well on trails — perfect for the hospital environment. I’ve never looked into them, but a lot of the EMS guys I see in the ER wear 5.11. Might be worth looking into.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I buy my wife (who's a chef) any and all non slip shoes I can find for her to try out. She's currently wearing some Hoka Bondi's that are all black and slip resistant, and she goes straight from work to the gym in them and seems to love them. They're a bit chunky looking but if you want comfort and non slip they're a great combo.

Looks like they even go up to a size 15 in men's.
https://www.hokaoneone.com/mens-road/bo ... 28583.html
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:41 am
I buy my wife (who's a chef) any and all non slip shoes I can find for her to try out.
You buy your wife shoes and know what brand she's wearing? Brother, you are a better husband than I. My only hope is that our wives never meet, because if news of your behavior spreads, many of us husbands are going to have to up our game. Take heed, and don't forget the tale of "Thomas Edison's Shaggy Dog."

I'm no expert on shoes, but recently I was at the mall with the sole [intential pun] intention of finding some nice dress shoes. I had an idea of what I wanted and a desired price point. Eventually I wandered into a store called Ecco. They had some nice stuff. Their shoes that met my criteria were twice as expensive as I wanted to pay. Like any red-blooded American man, I was ready to throw down a pile of cash just so the shopping nightmare could come to an end. My wife, however, urged me on to try another store. So we continued shopping... but I remembered the brand name. Last week I my work sandals fell apart. So my casual sandals got downgraded to work sandals, my formal sandals got downgraded to casual sandals, and I needed to replace my formal sandals. While shopping Amazon, I found some Ecco's that were in the price range of what I normally pay for Tevas or Timberlands. In regards to comfort, the Eccos blow the others right out of the water. Only time will tell if they're the best sandals since Brgzak and Ingrog first strapped mammoth hides to their feet, but as of now, I'm impressed.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:13 pm
...my formal sandals.
More 'California' words have never been spoken.
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Congrats on the promotion. I'm also a chef. Recently promoted as well. And recently back to work lol. I only wear a size 12, so I don't have any real good solutions or recommendations for ya. Just wanted to say congrats.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

I feel your pain. I wear a 14 wide in most shoes and a 15 in some brands. Red Wing was the best I’ve had for being on concrete all day. Keen would be another brand to take a look at. They have several low top styles in large sizes. Of course that depends on how dressy you need to be. In my experience the ones with more rigid soles are better all day on concrete than cushy feeling soles. I wear a lot of Merrill’s but I’m on dirt 95 percent of the time. I have a pair of Keen’s and a pair of Red Wings if I have to be on concrete.
Yiceorenil

Post by Yiceorenil »

My brother would understand your pain. He works in a restaurant as a kitchen assistant and has had the problem of comfortable shoes and the suitable size for his foot. He wears 14.