Crazy ordeal buying a spyderco from a YouTube celebrity

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
GarageBoy

Re: Crazy ordeal buying a spyderco from a YouTube celebrity

Post by GarageBoy »

Steve knows his knives/steel, and his opinions on them are well respected, but he's definitely one of those dudes who seems proud to be rude, abrasive, and loves stirring the pot.

I watched YouTube knife reviews for two weeks when I was down with covid, but there's only so many times one can listen to a guy ramble on about how well a knife flicks open, and how the action is, but I do get the appeal.
Shame that this hobby has attracted a few scumbags over the years (copying designs, lying, stealing knives at shows, taking orders and bailing, etc.)
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

I'll reiterate two points:
1) People that bought stuff and didn't get it should get refunds, not consolation prizes.
2) The community needs data points, not accusations and attacks. Don't say "I've had dozens of people say they had problems with SD." Make a record of it, and say "I've talked to X number of people who never received a knife they bought, X number of people never received a giveaway knife, X number of people are upset they donated to a website that hasn't been made, X number of people said it was a huge hassle getting knives delivered requiring excess communication and time." Give us useful information. Don't go on a tirade about how you've been right all along and everyone else is this, that, and the other. It's not about you. If you think it is, then you're just another Youtuber dragging down someone else to boost their own ratings.

There's different implications for each of the issues I've heard. If Slicey isn't giving people knives they bought, that's a crime and the biggest issue. If it was 5 people, maybe there's issues with shipping or managing the sales, if it's 50 people, he's a scam artist. He probably does hundreds of knife transactions a year, I wouldn't expect 100% to be perfect. He's at least claimed he wants to make those right. If it's a giveaway not delivered on, that's bad but not as bad. If delivery just took forever or required overcommunication - that's a hassle but not a problem. My point is that he's obviously been bad at managing his sales and giveaways, and he's had trouble building a website, but is it negligence or fraud? One is more excusable than the other.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:35 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:57 pm
“YouTube celebrity” 😬
he's rubbed me the wrong way quite a few times on his videos.
Which seems like a petty reason to not like someone. It seems that Dicey is enough of a fraud to not border into "He isn't consensual so he should burn on a stake".

I have something like 350k suscriber on my youtube channel (not related to knives) and the hate you get when you doesn't go full consensual is through the roof.

From my own experience posting here, the knife community might be one of the most uptight when it comes to opinions they can't take or when you not the nicest being on earth. Even the motorcycle community is more shill about dissenting opinions and having slight of an attitude. The knife community needs to be called out on a lot of things.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Sounds like the only YouTube 'celeb' having a worse week than Dicey, is Christoper Weston Chandler aka Chris Chan.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Chapp wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:50 am

Which seems like a petty reason to not like someone.
You quoted someone else, attributed it to me, and then called me petty.
Some might consider that sufficient cause to dislike someone.

Do not despair. I'm a little more tolerant than that.
But that unkempt guy who is at the center of this controversy?
All I know of him is from watching one minute of his video.
He didn't impress me.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm not sure if I'm going to go there, but where are you finding the videos mentioned, of Steve, Slicey and Chris Chan? I've seen some of the Slicey ones on Google search, but how about the Steve one?
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I found Chris Chan too, still looking for Steve.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

cabfrank wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:17 pm
I'm not sure if I'm going to go there, but where are you finding the videos mentioned, of Steve, Slicey and Chris Chan? I've seen some of the Slicey ones on Google search, but how about the Steve one?
Supersteel Steve. Very worthwhile and entertaining educational channel. I have a lot of philosophical differences with him but I’ve also personally seen him go WAY out of his way to be a great dude behind closed doors.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Thanks
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Since this discussion isn't really about Spyderco or our products, I'm moving it into Off-Topic.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I checked a little bit of this out. I'm not going to waste too much of a precious and rare day off going down the rabbit hole. I will say, Mike Janich's comment tells me a lot, and I certainly don't understand sending someone a Tenacious, only after being called out, when they bought a Chaparral. That says a lot too.