Dumb Guys Buy More Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Dumb Guys Buy More Knives

Post by Evil D »

I don't think I've ever sat down and counted mine but I think I have somewhere around 50-60, which is honestly way more than I ever wanted. At my core I really am a one knife guy when I can be, I've just gone through a process of buying different models trying to narrow down what works best for me, and then I've got all these used knives that aren't worth enough in resale for me to part with them. Then the next steel or model comes that I want to test and the process continues. All in all though I spend a lot less money a year on knives than I would on a beer habit so I'm happy with it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

That's a good way to look at it, but spending money on beer can be good too.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:46 am
I sometimes still feel the attraction of the concept of having only one single folder for everthing (and realistically quite some Spydies COULD fill that role for me)...
I've moved in that direction myself. I have a Manix that's been patinated, dyed, clipped, anodized, and riveted. Now I feel it's "my" knife and it's the one that makes me the happiest and suits my needs 95% of the time. Of course I have the Ladybug for when super-small is a requirement, and a PM2 that is my dedicated sushi knife. If I'm carrying another knife, it's merely on a whim.

I'm still Spydie-curious, and might throw down for an Endura SE K390 when they become available. Or not.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Dumb lady buys even more knives... I think I'm done for this year after I get my Jester. I have too many knives
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:18 pm
Dumb lady buys even more knives... I think I'm done for this year after I get my Jester. I have too many knives
Hahahaha!
You're finished for the year... after just one more.
Listen. it's nearly August. Why not just keep buying knives, and quit cold turkey next year?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:29 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Hahahaha!
Listen. it's nearly August. Why not just keep buying knives, and quit cold turkey next year?
I have been saying this for 6 years lol. When the next Reveal comes out I'm sure I'll change ny mind once again
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:43 pm
RustyIron wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Hahahaha!
I have been saying this for 6 years lol. When the next Reveal comes out I'm sure I'll change ny mind once again
I'm in the same boat, telling myself to get more sharpening equipment instead of knives...but that's not a cheap part of the hobby either!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:44 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
RustyIron wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Hahahaha!
I'm in the same boat, telling myself to get more sharpening equipment instead of knives...but that's not a cheap part of the hobby either!
Like every addict, I quit everyday and start up again every morning. I have admitted the problem and slowed down, so progress.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kobold

Post by kobold »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:50 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:44 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
RustyIron wrote:

Hahahaha!
Like every addict, I quit everyday and start up again every morning. I have admitted the problem and slowed down, so progress.

I have a self-imposed "one knife a month" rule, but things are not going well. I shouldn't buy anything until this time next year.
The only play is to sell a few or I will have no self-respect. :-)
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm actually down three and up one this year, so two less than when I started. I'm in the market though, of course. :smirk There are several I want. I'm trying to decide which I "need" (none) and will use.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Sorry, I have no idea why that emoji became gigantic.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

cabfrank wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:25 pm
Sorry, I have no idea why that emoji became gigantic.
I've noticed all of the post icons and stuff have become gigantic since the forum maintenance. I hope the mods see that also? I'm sure they're on it though. :thinking
•• Beau
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

I find this thread title to be insulting.

Good day, sir.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'm sure it wasn't intended that way.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I try not to agonize over my purchases. I will never “need” another knife, I am an expert at justifying my purchases to myself. I can see I’m in good company here! For the bike a knife the size of a Man or Ladybug would easily fit in my seat pack with the flat kit. I don’t have one in there yet. I will be evaluating that decision shortly. I carry a Manix LW sometimes when I ride.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

I would love to be in the one knife camp, and could probably get there. Or maybe just a very small number (primary, office no clip, fixed).

But I fell hard down the try every steel plan, and even every try steel in my favorite models plan (why I've got Cruwear and 204P in Military, PM2, P3, Delica, and Mule). Plus I like deals.

So in the end, I've got way more knives than I need, but I do enjoy them enough that I can't justify selling them at a small loss.

But I've definitely cut back, maybe 7-9 per year. At least that is what I did last year, and looking good for this year too.

Nonetheless, this dumb guy definitely buys more knives. Despite being absolutely without an additional need.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’m not dumb! I just have a problem!
Josh
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

murphjd25 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:42 pm
It's only a problem if you aren't happy with the outcome. Otherwise, it's just a personal behavior choice. ;)
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:17 pm
murphjd25 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:42 pm
It's only a problem if you aren't happy with the outcome. Otherwise, it's just a personal behavior choice. ;)
Hahahaha :)
Josh
40mm

Post by 40mm »

In August it’ll be 10 months straight carrying my Dragonfly Salt SE. Recently I fell victim to the knife lust and bought a plain edge PAC Salt (after reading Vivi’s plain edge H1 thread) knowing that I probably wouldn’t carry it much due to the size. Sold it. The stayed up too late one night and hit buy on the same knife but serrated. Bad pivot screw, returned it. Then stopped by Scheel’s for the first time and they had a Serrated Salt 2 that is dead centered with zero blade play. Brought it home with me. Now I’m debating on if I should keep it or not. The Dragknfly does everything I need and I tend to feel guilty when I buy unnecessary stuff.