Would anyone else like to see the Delica get a forward finger choir?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Re: Would anyone else like to see the Delica get a forward finger choir?

Post by Bolster »

Kidding aside, I'm not a Delica fan for the reason that it has a very large radius to the index finger area. This scrunches my index finger back and I find it uncomfortable.

I'd like a choil-less Delica just fine, but I want to be able to get my index comforably closer to the blade, with a tighter radius to the forward part of the handle. Yes, I know I could grind my own radius in a Delica, but why, when there are so many other comfortable options...like a Manix...and a Chaparral...and a Caly, and... and...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:01 pm
You guys are all off topic.

The question is whether or not you'd like a Delica with a CHOIR.

The obvious answer is YES.

Who wouldn't want a Delica with Handel's Halleluja Chorus in the background? You could not find a better fit between knife and music.
Haha, I did not notice it until you posted! A choir would be grand. :)
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Nah I’ll pass… That’s what the meadowlark is for
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I love the choil. I rarely use the Delica. I have no real need to see a choil on the delica--there are plenty of good options in that size range that have it, and options are good for everyone.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:32 pm
Kidding aside, I'm not a Delica fan for the reason that it has a very large radius to the index finger area. This scrunches my index finger back and I find it uncomfortable.

I'd like a choil-less Delica just fine, but I want to be able to get my index comforably closer to the blade, with a tighter radius to the forward part of the handle. Yes, I know I could grind my own radius in a Delica, but why, when there are so many other comfortable options...like a Manix...and a Chaparral...and a Caly, and... and...
I agree about the radius for the leading bottom area of the scales. I just finished trimming and sanding out the area behind the choil on my micarta scales for my new K390 Stretch, so my index finger wouldn't be mashed or forced aftward on the handle. I've done the same on aftermarket scales for the PM2 and Shaman (not much need on original scales).

Generally I like choils (even though the spell checker won't even admit that it's a word).
I "like" Delicas but don't carry them very much, mainly because they seem too small.

I like Endelas better because of their size and think the design would be great with a choil.

But you can't really argue with long term success and entrenched support of the choilless Delicas and Enduras. There's a much simpler and easier solution. Just make some with choils and give them a different frapping name! :D That would totally obviate the Delica-with-a-Choil argument.

Although personally I'd settle for just doing it with the Endela. We could call it a Choilela or whatever.

Or, simpler yet, just offer scales with a choil-like front end and let the Endela owners grind off the front bottom area of the liners to fit the scales. Personally, I would love that. (Or persuade Boomer52 to make and sell some).

I might add that I think the minimal choil on the Military is great. It's sort of a compromise choil. I've never seen anybody complain about it being there or not being deep enough.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

DougC-3 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:46 pm
I might add that I think the minimal choil on the Military is great. It's sort of a compromise choil. I've never seen anybody complain about it being there or not being deep enough.
Interestingly, my one complaint about the Military is its "non-committal" choil.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Wandering_About wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:57 pm
DougC-3 wrote:
Interestingly, my one complaint about the Military is its "non-committal" choil.
Touche :D I thought I might get a response about that. I think I'd like it either with or without a choil. The blade is so long it's hard to imagine doing much fine work with it without choking up on the blade.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

DougC-3 wrote:
Although personally I'd settle for just doing it with the Endela. We could call it a Choilela or whatever.
How much difference would there be between a choiled Endela and a Stretch?
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:23 pm
DougC-3 wrote:
That's a good point. It's really just 1/8th inch difference in length and a little over a half ounce with the scales I have on mine. But I'd still like both. The Stretch just feels heftier and the Endela feels slimmer. I'll probably carry the Endela more indoors after the new wears off the Stretch.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

DougC-3 wrote:
Pretty sure that’s a hot sauce :D
Wandering_About

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:23 pm
DougC-3 wrote:
The Endela is the model I always wanted between the Delica and Endura. The Stretch is what I always end up wanting the Endela to be. Both the Stretch and Endela are great, and both are regularly in my rotation.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:29 pm
DougC-3 wrote:
That's Cholula, another of my favorites :p
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

DougC-3 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:54 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:29 pm
DougC-3 wrote:
That's Cholula, another of my favorites :p
Yep, chili lime here :cool:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Most Spydies have choils. It makes sense to keep a few that do not.

The mass market isn’t really into choils. The Delica, Endela and Endura are really meant for the average Joe who is used to knives without choils.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:11 am
Most Spydies have choils. It makes sense to keep a few that do not.

The mass market isn’t really into choils. The Delica, Endela and Endura are really meant for the average Joe who is used to knives without choils.

... or who is used to use the ricasso as (sometimes better) "choil"... :D
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Lonehunter

Post by Lonehunter »

Spyderco user since ‘90 , I absolutely hate finger choils ! So no . Personally I’d like to see edge go all the way to the handles , oh and no sharpening choils either , those things get caught all the time cutting up rags . Thanks for asking !
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Lonehunter, do you own a Caribbean or a Rockjumper?

I'm with you on sharpening choils. They seem like a useless vanity to me, and one that gets in the way of function. A good knife should wear it's years (and sharpenings) as a badge of honor.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

DougC-3 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:17 pm
Wandering_About wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:
Touche :D I thought I might get a response about that. I think I'd like it either with or without a choil. The blade is so long it's hard to imagine doing much fine work with it without choking up on the blade.
“Compromise”? “Non-committal”? These terms beg the question, what is an unequivocal choil, do they not?
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wandering_About

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:07 pm
DougC-3 wrote:
Wandering_About wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:
“Compromise”? “Non-committal”? These terms beg the question, what is an unequivocal choil, do they not?
I'd rather the choil on the Military be more like, say, the PM2 choil. Just shaped better, for me. The Millie choil has that weird hump that just kind of takes up space for me.

MNOSD member #0035
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:07 pm
DougC-3 wrote:
Wandering_About wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:
I guess you could say, any modification to a ricasso or blade edge next to the handle to accommodate finger placement, and that they could be made to any desired shape or size. Or you could ..er.. hone down the definition to specify length, depth, jimping, etc.

By the way, I meant that I'd like the Millie both with and without a choil, not that I thought it ought to be more definitely one or the other. I should have said "both with or without."

I always feel guilty when I ask for a new model or modification since Spyderco must already make a hundred more models than anybody else. I haven't done a survey, so correct me if I'm wrong. I think their flexibility and openness to that is one of the secrets of their success.

But I never ask them to stop making models without choils or substitute choiled models for them.
Last edited by DougC-3 on Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.