Do you value inhouse designs higher than collaboration models?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you value inhouse designs higher than collaboration models?

Yes. Sal's and/or Eric's knives are simply the best.
32%
No. I openly admit that I see some collab knives on an eye-to-eye level with Sal's/Eric's best works.
68%

Total votes: 62

Naperville

Re: Do you value inhouse designs higher than collaboration models?

Post by Naperville »

The more professionals involved in designing the better. I have knives from both parties and they're excellent.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I didn’t vote because the choice may be a false one.

My understanding is that any Spyderco collaboration is materially shaped by the Glesser aesthetic (Ed Schemmp might get more leeway), just as the Ethnic Series is not a true reproduction of the original but a Glesser “expression” of it.

Which is all fine by me.

EDIT: What I meant to say is “My understanding is that the Glesser aesthetic constrains what will be a candidate for a Spyderco collaboration, and it may materially shape it”.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I’m pretty sure Sal and Eric are hand twins triplets of mine, so I find it hard to be objective. So many of their designs could have been custom made for me.

However, I also love so many of the other collaborators they have brought on board, current and former. Some I’d love to see return, despite the, um, restrictions on them.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I value both! I've got favorites from both camps. The Manix 2 being an old favorite, and the Swayback a new one.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

There are a lot of great in-house models, but the collaborations give you the opportunity to get a knife from a custom maker at a more reasonable price. They both have their place.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

All good, just different. Like p_atrick says, Spyderco gives us the opportunity to try the expensive custom knives by other makers at a reasonable price. Can't imagine getting a custom Slysz at the price Spyderco offers.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

My favorite 4 or 5 Spydies have both Glessers, Kevin Smock and Martin Slyscz represresented. So I voted no. However I think it’s undeniable that Spyderco is founded on Sal’s designs. How many Delica’s, Endura’s and Dragonflies are there in circulation? Millions I would guess. Similarly PM 2 and Manix sales are very large. Mike Janich’s Yojimbo and derivatives is also a pretty good seller for many years. Even the best selling collaborations are a fraction of these models and some collaborations do not seem to be very successful.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I tend to be practical in my knife design choices. I prefer the in-house knives overwhelmingly. I've looked at a lot of collaborations, but I only bought two and I returned one of those. The only two I have not bought, but want to buy is the Siren and Waterway, but they are good, practical designs.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Matus

Post by Matus »

Core Spyderco models are unique, cool and very usable. But the collaborations vastly expand the design space of the knives Spyderco is offering and often designs are brought to life were it is clear that they are made for the sake of trying something different, something new, to bring knives that bring us joy, inspire us. I appreciate that a lot.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

There's been a Kiwi in my watch pocket for over 18 years. A Jester's been keeping my keys company for slightly less. Some version of the Stretch has been my primary folder 95% of the time since it came out in November of '04. On the rare occasions that it isn't it's almost always been replaced by either a Chaparral or an Atlantic Salt. AFAIK, all of those are Sal's designs. I own a bunch of collaboration knives but, unless you consider the original "Kitchen Sharps" collection of kitchen knives to be a "collaboration" with Masahiro, they are rarely used.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
CPM-Greg

Post by CPM-Greg »

I have a variety of knives designed by Sal and Eric (I am waiting for a Dice to arrive). However, collaboration is the elixir of innovation. I'm looking forward to seeing more collaborations in smaller knives (e.g., Vrango, Squeak, Khalsa, Lil Lum, Pingo, Perrin PPT, Techno 2, etc.). Maybe a Mini Subvert (3" with a finger choil, carbon fiber and a fancy, smancy super steel).

Best,

CPM-Greg
Thinking about which Taichung blade to get next.......
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Thinking philosophically about it, I think I value in house and collars about equally, but then I look at my collections and see my only collab is the Squarehead. Perhaps because the collabs generally tend to be more expensive ti-handled knives? I am unsure. I like the Bradley folders and Lance’s two. Just don’t have them. Yet.
Last edited by Woodpuppy on Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

Neither…I like what I like and put little weight on who thunk it up ;)
Nate

Post by Nate »

I think my absolute faves are all in-house, but collabs like the Jess Horns, PITS, Pingo, and all the Phil Wilson designs are right up there for me.
:spyder:
willc

Post by willc »

Of the Spyderco knives I carry most are in house designed.
I am glad that they do models that are by other knife makers but my favorites are the in house ones.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Even though I think Spyderco's line of in-house designs are better than any other manufacturer's in-house designs as a whole, I tend to prefer the collabs. Spyderco's collaboration models are some of the best values in the knife industry IMO. Those knives are typically 95% of what you'd get if you bought the actual custom knife from the maker at 1/3 of the price, sometimes less. While I very much admire and appreciate many of the in-house models, my top 3 favorite knives from Spyderco are all collaborations.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I like designs from both sides but most of my safe queens are collabs : Slysz Bowie, Southard, Smock (DLT exclusive). Sal’s best design ever is the Dragonfly2 and Eric’s best is the Dodo IMHO. That being said, my most treasured( my precious) is the mighty KW exclusive Ti/CF exclusive Millie in S90V. A spydie to end all spydies. My most carried lately are also from both parties : Smock and Watu.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I didn't vote because the options are leading. I typically don't give a hoot who designs the knife. What I care about is if the knife's characteristics are appealing to me in regards to functionality and aesthetics. The knife has to do what I want, and it has to look good. My favorite knife is Eric's, but I have a couple of Sal's that get carried, as well.

The only "designer bias" I have is with one guy who has come up with some good ideas, but the quality that his company churns out offends my OWN sense of craftsmanship. I don't want anything with his name on it. It's personal.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I'm not sure I place any more value in a knife based on the designer, but I do tend to prefer Sal's pocket knife designs over all others. My favorite Spydercos are designed by Sal, and cost less than $300.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I don’t believe there is any either/or, or better or worse. I simply tend to use Sal and Eric’s designs more, and I have many more of them, than collaboration designs. I’ve also noticed that collaboration designs in general don’t seem to last as long in the lineup as in-house designs.

Jim