The "compression made easy"-device - does it actually improve the comp.lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: The "compression made easy"-device - does it actually improve the comp.lock?

Post by wrdwrght »

The compression lock, as is (whether Taichung-, Seki-, or Golden-made), does not call out to me for improvement.

But this fact doesn’t mean the lock can’t be improved by others.

Nevertheless, I do reserve the right to be skeptical, as here.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
soc_monki

Re: The "compression made easy"-device - does it actually improve the comp.lock?

Post by soc_monki »

Rp5 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:45 am
soc_monki wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:40 am
I agree. People grind it off all the time because it hits their finger. I honestly don't see how it is an issue. You disengage the lock, swing the blade down and release the lock and your finger shouldn't be there when the blade hits home. Why keep your finger there? It's like with the amalgam. People grind off the flipper because it hits their finger. Move your finger! It's really that simple...
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:27 am
Never had an issue with the nub on the shaman either. The way I flick it closed my finger is never there when it hits home.
That's the difference then, I don't flick a compression knife closed. The beauty of the compression lock is that your finger is not in the way of the blade. You can hold a compression lock open and slow roll the knife blade closed using gravity. Compression locks make the most of drop-shut action. The nub on the shaman is the first I've experienced part of the blade contacting the lock face. It's not dangerous, but it's annoying.
Cricket Bite wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:56 am
To me this is in the same category as a zip tie on the hole or the wave feature on a knife. I have 0 interest in any of them but if it appeals to people then why not? Also this could be interesting because if something like this takes off then I am sure Spyderco will notice and maybe alter future development such as the button lock or some other modified version of the compression lock.
I think the zip-tie wave feature is an appropriate comparison. I got into knives after that whole fad died down, and personally I think zip ties look stupid as **** for zero added benefit. This looks cleaner than that, but I guess I can see how people would see it as dumb looking and not helpful.
I never said to flick it closed. You can let it close slowly under it's own weight, or give it a nudge. Either way works, but I still don't see how the nub is an issue. If the blade doesn't close fully (like when closing slowly and letting go of the lock tab) you can just finish the close with your thumb, and your finger it out of the way and doesn't get hit by the nub.

I prefer not to irreversibly modify my knives, but it's personal preference and up to the user. What get's me is when people do things like that and try to sell and want more than when the knife was new. As with cars, mods don't add value LOL
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

soc_monki wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:38 am
I never said to flick it closed. You can let it close slowly under it's own weight, or give it a nudge. Either way works, but I still don't see how the nub is an issue. If the blade doesn't close fully (like when closing slowly and letting go of the lock tab) you can just finish the close with your thumb, and your finger it out of the way and doesn't get hit by the nub.

I prefer not to irreversibly modify my knives, but it's personal preference and up to the user. What get's me is when people do things like that and try to sell and want more than when the knife was new. As with cars, mods don't add value LOL
As I said, it's just annoying to have a piece of the blade clearly cross the face of the lock when the lock was designed to get away from that. I certainly wasn't starting a thread to complain about it, it's just the only reason I thought about buying this device. I will probably do a nub delete at some point, but I have no problem modifying my knives for my use. I've already dyed my scales. Either way, I'm not selling it any time soon. Had to wait a couple months just to have a chance to buy one.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:27 am
It's been brought up before, viewtopic.php?t=88697 and I even 3d printed one and tested it. I say if the device is made from metal and screwed to the lock-bar in a discrete manner it would definitely help left handers like myself or possibly those with joint problems. I honestly think Blades We Love has a better solution with their button lock PM2 mod.
Hah! Funny reading my comment on this thread 6 months ago (that i don't remember writing..) and my comment on this current thread. At least I'm consistent..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:53 pm

Hah! Funny reading my comment on this thread 6 months ago (that i don't remember writing..) and my comment on this current thread. At least I'm consistent..
I have a photographic memory so I can forget conversations if just talking but if I write it down like on here I'll usually remember.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:02 pm
DSH007 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:53 pm

I have a photographic memory so I can forget conversations if just talking but if I write it down like on here I'll usually remember.
Photographic memory?! That's pretty cool Josh! I tend to shoot from the hip and not remember a d@mn thing that I've written.. but i do seem to have a certain set of standards that I stick to (i.e. my thoughts/feelings about what I do/don't like about knives/knife accessories..), so my writings on a given day usually match up with my feelings later on.. It's always fun looking back and seeing what I wrote about something at different periods of time.. More often than not, my thoughts/comments line up haha..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:21 pm
Chuck James wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:27 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:57 am
Doesn't look like an improvement to me.

Looks like someone was very bored and just sitting around thinking stuff up.
If you literally mean how it looks, I am with you. For me it does look somewhat crude and not elegant.

Functionwise speaking I think you're perhaps a bit harsh: Might be that in your use a device of that kind makes no sense (or probably in most use cases.
But as even this thread shows:
The comp.lock (like any lock!) has its "weaker" sides, being for example harder to use with gloves, numb or impaired fingers, for lefties and this especially on narrow handles and with small cutouts.
Another being the less-than-ideal ergos on real hard use due to the "hotspotty" cutout.

This device is at least an attempt to improve on this imho.
These would be good reasons for someone to find a knife with a different lock mechanism altogether, not mess up an already good design.
As for me....I'm a Manix 2 fan. The ball bearing lock is awesome.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Chuck James wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:20 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:21 pm
Chuck James wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:27 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:57 am
Doesn't look like an improvement to me.

Looks like someone was very bored and just sitting around thinking stuff up.
If you literally mean how it looks, I am with you. For me it does look somewhat crude and not elegant.

Functionwise speaking I think you're perhaps a bit harsh: Might be that in your use a device of that kind makes no sense (or probably in most use cases.
But as even this thread shows:
The comp.lock (like any lock!) has its "weaker" sides, being for example harder to use with gloves, numb or impaired fingers, for lefties and this especially on narrow handles and with small cutouts.
Another being the less-than-ideal ergos on real hard use due to the "hotspotty" cutout.

This device is at least an attempt to improve on this imho.
These would be good reasons for someone to find a knife with a different lock mechanism altogether, not mess up an already good design.
As for me....I'm a Manix 2 fan. The ball bearing lock is awesome.
Yep!!!

Earlier somebody said something about this add-on making it easier for some people with issues (arthritis, etc) to use the compression lock. The first thing I thought was, if I had issues like that, I'd be looking at models with different locks. Most likely a back lock but maybe even a frame/liner lock or possibly a slip-joint
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

I ordered one for my Para 3 LW because honestly I feel like the knife is slick and light enough that it feels a little squirrely in my hands when I close it (I've even dropped it at least once), and this thing looks like it will help that.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:15 pm
I ordered one for my Para 3 LW because honestly I feel like the knife is slick and light enough that it feels a little squirrely in my hands when I close it (I've even dropped it at least once), and this thing looks like it will help that.

Very nice, let us know your impressions. :) agreed on how seemingly slick the Para 3 LW FRN feels, anything to help with the operation counts as an innovation in my book. The price seems too steep for a bit of G10, but the video says that if you factor in economies of scale and R&D then it seems reasonable.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Funnily enough it just came in the mail. So far I like it. It's going to take a minute to get used to so I can make a real evaluation, but it does make the knife feel steadier in my hand as I close it with a pinch grip.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:31 pm

Funnily enough it just came in the mail. So far I like it. It's going to take a minute to get used to so I can make a real evaluation, but it does make the knife feel steadier in my hand as I close it with a pinch grip.
Interesting, and thanks for sharing!

This actually does sound like an improvement: Dropping a comp.lock knife while closing it wirh that "pinch grip" method seems to happen and be a concern of some. If this device makes the knife more secure in hand while operating the lock in that way this would actually be a pro.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

As a lefty, I have no problems with a compression lock as is.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Superflex wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:12 am
Evil D wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:00 am
Looks like a "solution looking for a problem" but if people like it then I guess more power to them. I'd rather see the button version made on more models.
Guess you've never experienced arthritis or neuropathy in your hands. This could be a godsend for people with those issues who have comp locks.

I dont put lanyard baubles, aftermarket scales or clips on my knives, but I keep my mouth shut when I see others do it.

Agree the button comp lock on the Smock is the bees knees
That’s a very good point about the arthritis/neuropathy and I hadn’t considered it before your post. I have to say the more elegant solution is definitely the button as implemented on the Smock. As an aftermarket solution for knives without the button this one has no competition yet. I expect if there’s demand we could see implementations that are color matched, more elegant more attractive etc. Much like aftermarket and custom scales.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I think it is crap and unnecessary. I can open and close all my comp locks with my left or right hand with zero issues.

I also think the button on the Smock ruins the comp lock and makes it too easy to accidentally unlock IMO.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
dizave

Post by dizave »

Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:31 pm

Do you still like it?

I'm a lefty who found this thread because my wife just bought me a right handed PM2 and I'm trying to find a way to make it usable. I have a lefty PM2 and a lefty PM2 Ultra (i.e., a PM2 Ultra built on a right handed maxamet). I love them. But I find it very cumbersome to use this right handed one.

I'd love to find some way to make the righty as usable as the lefty--the right handers have so many more steel and scale options.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear dizave:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

dizave wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:19 pm
I'd love to find some way to make the righty as usable as the lefty--the right handers have so many more steel and scale options.
It's all about technique. IMO, the RH PM2 is better for lefties than the LH PM2.

Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I watched the video and checked out the site and to be honest I am intrigued . I may have to order one just to see how it would work for me . Thank you for the heads up, MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:13 pm
I watched the video and checked out the site and to be honest I am intrigued . I may have to order one just to see how it would work for me . Thank you for the heads up, MG2
Should you order and try one: I'd be interested in what you think!

As said in my op: Not only if this thing perhaps makes operation easier, but also if it improves the ergos, since the comp.lock cutout in the scale is somewhat covered.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)