Please recommend a fully serrated folder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chemcal

Please recommend a fully serrated folder

Post by chemcal »

I have a very modest knife collection which includes a Native 5 CE. I like this knife, but would like a larger fully serrated one. I've looked at the Police, Recon 1, Pacific salt 2, but find no USA SEs(don't know if this matters). I will appreciate advise and help with making a decision. Thank you.
vivi

Re: Please recommend a fully serrated folder

Post by vivi »

Pacific Salt 2 would be my first choice in your shoes. Light and practical to carry everyday, plenty of blade length, low maintenance and H1 is great for serrated knives.

review - viewtopic.php?t=87226
:unicorn
archangel

Post by archangel »

D, you are up! ;)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

As Vivi said: Pac Salt or Salt 2 SE would be great choices, for general EDC in full flar grind (which means in LC200N)

The Endela SE imho has an even better serration pattern righr from the factory (but SE gets better and better anyway with repeated sharpening).

And don't overlook the Rock Jumper SE! Its wharnie blade combined with SE must be a real beast.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
chemcal

Post by chemcal »

Wow does that simplify it! Great video vivi. Is it worth waiting to get the PS 2 in the LC200N
vivi

Post by vivi »

chemcal wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:14 am
Wow does that simplify it! Great video vivi. Is it worth waiting to get the PS 2 in the LC200N
Both versions are great.

The LC200N has better cutting geometry and weighs less. The H1 versions have a more robust tip and the heavier blade is more satisfying to swing open.

Can't go wrong with either.
:unicorn
Zive

Post by Zive »

Pacific Salt 2 SE has been great to me.

Like Vivi said, if your use cases are demanding in the durability department H1 might be a better bet.

SE Endura Wharncliffe is also worth a look assuming you would consider non-US models.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm partial to the Caribbean and Rock Jumper :)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bjz

Post by bjz »

I’m very new to full SE so everyone else’s suggestions likely carry more weight but depending on what your tolerance of steel type and origin of manufacture are, the full SE tenacious frn is a wonderful option for $45!

After using that knife as my dedicated work knife, I decided to pick up an SE native 5 to scratch the itch for some sort of native 5. Frankly, I like the tenacious much better because it packs a ton of blade into a small package, the frn scales have plenty of grip and the SE pattern isn’t nearly as deep/toothy as the native. The 8cr seems plenty tough and sharpens up easy with a sharpmaker.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

If COO doesn't matter and you're just starting to sample the full serrated edge waters, the Byrd Cara Rescue 2 is a tank. Solid lockup and the grind is very similar to some of the H1 Salts but a little less pointy in some cases which may be a good thing. IMHO best bang for the buck.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Anything out of Spyderco's Salt Series would be great in SE. Now for a fixed blade I do believe that the Jumpmaster would be a great Spyderco SE blade to have>> it's my current favorite full SE fixed blade at this time.

When it comes to folders there are so many I wouldn't even know where to start. I have no idea what your main duties are during a day's time. But there are so many great Spyderco folders that you just can't go wrong with. I'm currently carrying a 20 year old + model known as the Stainless Handled RESCUE model out of the great ATS-55 era. And I've got several other serrated Spyderco models but I've always just adored that Stainless RESCUE in full SE>> it's built like an Abram's Tank. They do show up at auction sites every so often.

Also if you can find one of the older/discontinued C-36 Military models in full SE that would also be a great one to have. I have heard wonderful things about the Caribbean model in full SE>> I haven't gotten one of those yet but I do want one. Any of the POLICE models in full SE you can't go wrong with>> depending on what your blade length laws are in your area. And there is the upcoming C-60 Ayoob which will be made available in full SE>> now that would be my #1 highest recommendation. But there are so many that you really need to check over what Spyderco has available in their great line up.
chemcal

Post by chemcal »

The Jumpmaster is a nice knife and would consider if looking for a fixed(surprised the blade t.. is only .11).
I do wish the C-36 Military models in full SE were available. I often carry an Ontario model 1 because I don't worry about it; it works, but I would like a large higher quality folder.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

There’s a lot of options. Maybe Para 2 if you want something bigger?

I have a SS Police in my pocket lately. Has a lot of teeth when you need it.
CPM-Greg

Post by CPM-Greg »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:30 pm
I'm partial to the Caribbean and Rock Jumper :)
I think the Caribbean is an under-rated knife. Nice Taichung blade at a great price.

CPM-Greg
Thinking about which Taichung blade to get next.......
kells45

Post by kells45 »

Pacific salt in h1 is hard to beat. Plain jane endura saber grind se. I’ve had an endura 3 se for over 20 years, it’s a good slicer even though is a saber grind. Endura 4 wharncliffe se is on my list after I replace my pac salt I lost hunting last year.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Caribbean. Best serrations you'll find on a Spyderco.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Serrated Caribbean or shaman would be my recommendation.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:32 pm
Did you ever try the Endela serrations? I would be really interested how they compare to the Caribbean serrations for you.
For me the Endela SE is perfect out of the box, but I never had a Caribbean SE so I can't tell if the latter perhaps is even better- ?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

If you're only wanting USA made, the largest full serrated knives are probably the Shaman and PM2, unless I'm forgetting other options.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:21 am
The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:32 pm
Did you ever try the Endela serrations? I would be really interested how they compare to the Caribbean serrations for you.
For me the Endela SE is perfect out of the box, but I never had a Caribbean SE so I can't tell if the latter perhaps is even better- ?
No. I've had other Seki serrations but not the Endela's.
The Caribbean has more wavy and less pointed serrations, similar to the byrd knives (which are even better IMO)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"