Best SE knife with wave opening

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JakeXman

Re: Best SE knife with wave opening

Post by JakeXman »

vivi wrote:
so far just my harbor freight belt sander. no clue what I'm gonna use for the curve part near the hole but I'll figure something out.
Tiny drum sander on a dremel?
Tenacious G10 PE, Tasman Salt 2 PE, Tasman Salt 2 SE, Yojimbo 2, KJ Endura 4 D.P.S. 15 VG-10, LadyBug K390, TKJ Jester 20CV, UKPK Salt, Crucarta PM2, 204 Sharpmaker
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:31 pm
tonijedi wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:11 pm
vivi wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:12 pm
Finally got around to starting my Pacific Wave

If all goes well I'll do a SE too.

Curious to see how much weight this sheds.
Fantastic. Which tools are you using?
so far just my harbor freight belt sander. no clue what I'm gonna use for the curve part near the hole but I'll figure something out.

I used a tungsten routing bit in a Dremel to skeletonize liners.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004UDJL/re ... E5YX5HJR1W
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I used a bimetal bandsaw blade with I think 18 or 24 tpi when I put a wave on a Tasman. Unfortunately the knife was sold and then lost. Never got to take pictures. H1 was fairly easy to cut with that set up. It was a portable electric bandsaw too. Not one of those huge fancy ones.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Thanks guys. I have a dremel with different attachments so I may already have what I need. It'll be a few days before I'll be able to finish it. Keep ya posted!
:unicorn
C99c

Post by C99c »

If Spyderco would offer Emerson versions of the Endura and Endela in SE and CE with orange handles (black could be the other option) I think they would be very popular.

SE and CE work well in a variety of environments. Everything from rescue work to the hay field to boating and lots in between.
The Emerson wave makes every knife better, in my opinion and the bright handle makes them look more "friendly" and easier to find when you set them down.

My current ideal folder is a waved CE Endela with an orange or yellow handle. I hope to be able to Lego one together soon.
Support Knife Rights. https://kniferights.org/

Don't buy knives from EBAY or AMAZON. There are plenty of good companies that will appreciate your business and don't sell fakes.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Found my dremel and some cutting wheels but I can'tfind the piece that connects them together.

The rough shaping is pretty much done besides the hook for the wave. It actually works as is, I tested it out.

Gonna have to go to the hardware store tomorrow and finish it up.

Excited to have a waved Pacific Salt! IMO making these at the factory would have made more sense than a Dragonfly.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

vivi wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:57 am

IMO making these at the factory would have made more sense than a Dragonfly.

Yeah totally, and the waved Endura is still in production even, I just need some teeth!
~David
islandpar

Post by islandpar »

vivi wrote:
Found my dremel and some cutting wheels but I can'tfind the piece that connects them together.

The rough shaping is pretty much done besides the hook for the wave. It actually works as is, I tested it out.

Excited to have a waved Pacific Salt! IMO making these at the factory would have made more sense than a Dragonfly.
Any pics of the finished knife? Curious to see it...
"Remember, it is never the knife's fault." - Daniel Boulud

18 Spyders and counting...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

islandpar wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:59 am
vivi wrote:

Any pics of the finished knife? Curious to see it...
+1 !!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Guess I'm gonna have to get off my rear and finish this project.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:03 pm
vivi wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:57 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:29 pm
I've been trying to find a SE/waved Endura but they're either impossible to find or insanely over priced when you do. I would love to see a waved SE Pacific.
I might have to make me one of those.

I've thought about it but I actually really like the bayonet shaped blade that the Endura gets with the wave. I actually want it as much for that reason as I do the actual wave part.
I waved a Pacific Salt and an Endura FFG a few years ago. They both work. The saber-ground Pacific Salt waves better because it retains more blade mass. The Endura cuts better because the thickest part of the spine has been cut away. The less tall blade turns better in a cut.

I just took a photo of both but can’t seem to post it via mobile. Here’s an iCloud link to the photo. https://share.icloud.com/photos/0pEgKB5 ... By_The_Sea

The above link expires 9/19/21.

The way I did it was to drill a 1/4” hole at the hook, then cut with a Dremel into the hole from tip and spine.

Edited to add: the spine of the H-1 Salt is soft enough to drill with a solid carbide twist drill. This is clamped to the drill press table with ample cutting fluid. The VG-10 spine is much harder to drill. I used a “Hi-Roc” carbide bit shaped like a spade, plenty of fluid, and it fought me, but came out well. The edges I rounded with a mounted stone in the Dremel, followed by a charged felt buff in the Dremel. The spine I cleaned up by hand with diamond stones followed by the buff.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bill1170 wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:31 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:03 pm
vivi wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:57 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:29 pm
I've been trying to find a SE/waved Endura but they're either impossible to find or insanely over priced when you do. I would love to see a waved SE Pacific.
I might have to make me one of those.

I've thought about it but I actually really like the bayonet shaped blade that the Endura gets with the wave. I actually want it as much for that reason as I do the actual wave part.
I waved a Pacific Salt and an Endura FFG a few years ago. They both work. The saber-ground Pacific Salt waves better because it retains more blade mass. The Endura cuts better because the thickest part of the spine has been cut away. The less tall blade turns better in a cut.

I just took a photo of both but can’t seem to post it via mobile. Here’s an iCloud link to the photo. https://share.icloud.com/photos/0pEgKB5 ... By_The_Sea

The above link expires 9/19/21.

The way I did it was to drill a 1/4” hole at the hook, then cut with a Dremel into the hole from tip and spine.

Edited to add: the spine of the H-1 Salt is soft enough to drill with a solid carbide twist drill. This is clamped to the drill press table with ample cutting fluid. The VG-10 spine is much harder to drill. I used a “Hi-Roc” carbide bit shaped like a spade, plenty of fluid, and it fought me, but came out well. The edges I rounded with a mounted stone in the Dremel, followed by a charged felt buff in the Dremel. The spine I cleaned up by hand with diamond stones followed by the buff.

Wow that's pretty nice! Can you compare that to a factory made wave hook, performance wise?

IMG_0360.JPEG

I guess my next random question will be, will the Pacific blade swap with an Endura 4? I'm trying to make a SE waved Endura with the Lone Wolf Glock Tool handle.
~David
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Hi David,

Sorry, but I had to delete your quote because I was in nested quote purgatory.

I haven’t ever done a blade swap, but I suspect the E3 handle of that first-gen Pac Salt I waved isn’t compatible with the E4 linered handle. Just a guess.

The wave hooks I made, while slightly smaller than a factory waved E4, are very effective. They wave open as reliably as my factory waved Delica. As mentioned upthread, the thinner FFG blade weighs less, so it has to be deployed with more authority/velocity to open the blade to full lockup. The hollow saber Salt retains enough blade mass to deploy very easily indeed.
Featherblade

Post by Featherblade »

I'm sorry for the late input but I saw this thread before few minutes.

My sugestion is waved Rescue 93mm.
The blade is sabre grind. The combination of straight edge and serrations makes it excellent cutter.
The tip and the spine are slightly modified.
The handle and the clip are the same as the Atlantic Salt. The handle color is the same as the other waved Spyderco-s - dark blue grey.

IMHO, these serrations have one the best geometry I've ever seen.