It would be really cool if Spyderco could switch from 8Cr13MoV for budget blades to 14C28N

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: It would be really cool if Spyderco could switch from 8Cr13MoV for budget blades to 14C28N

Post by TomAiello »

jkurtz7 wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:00 pm
I’m a really big fan of 14c28n, but I don’t see Spyderco using it. The cost to export it to China would only raise prices on the value line.
Lots of other China-made knives are 14c28n. Is there not a local supplier there?

It seems weird that so many people would be importing 14c28n to China.
jkurtz7

Re: It would be really cool if Spyderco could switch from 8Cr13MoV for budget blades to 14C28N

Post by jkurtz7 »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:54 am
jkurtz7 wrote:
I’m a really big fan of 14c28n, but I don’t see Spyderco using it. The cost to export it to China would only raise prices on the value line.
Lots of other China-made knives are 14c28n. Is there not a local supplier there?

Sandvik is the only manufacturer as far as I am aware. The steel isn’t used enough to justify anyone else making it really so it would have to come from Sweden. It was originally made for Kershaw and they only use it on their USA made models. All China made Kershaw’s are 8cr or a lesser Chinese steel, although there are a few Chinese models now with D2.
Dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe - Dragonfly 2 - Dragonfly 2 Damascus - Urban Sprint AEB-L - Pacific Salt - Endura 4 - Ulize - Para 3 LW - Dragonfly 2 Salt
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

zhyla wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:43 am
If anything, Spyderco needs to figure out how to lower costs on the Spyderco budget line, not raise them. The Persistance is $50. Compare to Civivi’s Elementum model - D2 steel in a range of colors. Lots of other models at that price (****, the Wyvern just caught my eye…).

And much as I love the Tenacious line, to the average consumer they are fantastically clunky knives. Most people are not going to choose an Ambitious or Persistance when shopping for a small knife.

I’m sure Spyderco knows what they’re doing as a business. But it feels to me like there needs to be a budget version of the Delica at $50.
Amazon has spyderco meadowlark @$35 , and raven2 with BD1 steel on sale
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

jkurtz7 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:37 am
TomAiello wrote:
jkurtz7 wrote:

Sandvik is the only manufacturer as far as I am aware. The steel isn’t used enough to justify anyone else making it really so it would have to come from Sweden. It was originally made for Kershaw and they only use it on their USA made models.
A quick search at a major online retailer found lots of knives from Ruike, Real Steel and Civvi that are made in China with 14c28n. I also found a discussion about the blades being blanked in Sweden and then sent to China for finishing.
jkurtz7

Post by jkurtz7 »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:36 pm
jkurtz7 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:37 am
TomAiello wrote:
jkurtz7 wrote:

Sandvik is the only manufacturer as far as I am aware. The steel isn’t used enough to justify anyone else making it really so it would have to come from Sweden. It was originally made for Kershaw and they only use it on their USA made models.
A quick search at a major online retailer found lots of knives from Ruike, Real Steel and Civvi that are made in China with 14c28n. I also found a discussion about the blades being blanked in Sweden and then sent to China for finishing.
I did a little digging before work to see if Sandvik had any manufacturing in China, turns out they do but, it looks to only be for mining related stuff. ZKnives lists only Sandvik as the manufacturer of 14c28n, so I’m going to assume it’s being exported to China.

This is the first I’m hearing that blades are being blanked in Sweden and sent to China, had no idea about that. That said I do really love 14c28n, have a few Kershaw’s with it and really enjoy them. I haven’t bought anything with the steel out of China though.
Dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe - Dragonfly 2 - Dragonfly 2 Damascus - Urban Sprint AEB-L - Pacific Salt - Endura 4 - Ulize - Para 3 LW - Dragonfly 2 Salt
sal

Post by sal »

To be honest, I've not had much luck with Sandvik.

They've come to see us at shows both in the US and Europe. I spoke with their metallurgists as well. A number of years ago, in Germany, they offered 14c to me. I said I thought that was exclusive to Kershaw. They said not any more??? Couldn't get a why?

I ordered steel from them a number of times at the shows. 19c for a Mule team, 14c for testing, etc. They never delivered or followed up??? Surprising, Hitachi would send me 1,000 lbs of any steel they made, (except ZDP) on credit. Crucible, powdered Cruwear for us as a surprise for our Mule Team. They made SPY-27 for me and Magnacut for Larrin. The President of Takefu would regularly pay us a visit at the Blade show. We worked with Carpenter for years testing their blade steels as they were developing them. We've never had a problem with B.U.

I don't know why we never heard a peep back from Sandvik?

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

That's a shame, I've enjoyed the sharpening response from the sandvik steels I've tried.
:unicorn
jkurtz7

Post by jkurtz7 »

Sal, maybe Sandvik is more concerned with other parts of their business rather than knife steel. Up until today I had no idea they were into the whole mining equipment thing. It would appear from what I read today that it’s a large part of their business as well as other ventures.

Vivi, I’m with you there. I have a Mora with 12c27 and I like that steel a lot as well. 14c28n is great though, takes a screaming sharp edge just like AEB-L and easily at that.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Given my experience with Sandvik via drilling rigs and parts, I’m thrilled to pieces Spyderco doesn’t use them. We have a one-off Schramm drill rig with a UDR head, pipe spinner, and table. This was supposed to be a great partnership. Well, it dissolved, UDR was bought out by Sandvik, and getting parts for the rig is a real PITA. Mobile Drill is where it’s at!!
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

sal wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:22 pm

They've come to see us at shows both in the US and Europe. I spoke with their metallurgists as well. A number of years ago, in Germany, they offered 14c to me. I said I thought that was exclusive to Kershaw. They said not any more??? Couldn't get a why?

I ordered steel from them a number of times at the shows. 19c for a Mule team, 14c for testing, etc. They never delivered or followed up??? Surprising, Hitachi would send me 1,000 lbs of any steel they made, (except ZDP) on credit. Crucible, powdered Cruwear for us as a surprise for our Mule Team. They made SPY-27 for me and Magnacut for Larrin. The President of Takefu would regularly pay us a visit at the Blade show. We worked with Carpenter for years testing their blade steels as they were developing them. We've never had a problem with B.U.

sal
Very interesting and certainly odd. It sounds like there are plenty of other responsive suppliers to work with though, no wonder you don't do much with Sandvik.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:39 am
I’ve only owned one Byrd knife, a Cara Cara. Maybe I just got a really bad one but it wouldn’t lock up reliably. I eventually threw it away.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Zhyla,

Sorry to hear about that. You probably should have sent it in to us. That way we could have studied the issue as sell as replaced it with a good one.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

zhyla wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:37 am
S-3 ranch wrote:
I’ve only owned one Byrd knife, a Cara Cara. Maybe I just got a really bad one but it wouldn’t lock up reliably. I eventually threw it away.
That's definitely not usual. I've been using and gifting Cara Cara's since the original first release, and every single one has had secure lock-up. Many of them are carried daily by their owners, as it's their highest end knife.
:unicorn
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:40 am
zhyla wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:37 am
S-3 ranch wrote:
That's definitely not usual. I've been using and gifting Cara Cara's since the original first release, and every single one has had secure lock-up. Many of them are carried daily by their owners, as it's their highest end knife.
Same here, the ranch gifts Cara Cara, and meadowlark, raven2 never had any problems
Sometimes someone snaps off a tip :eek: but that’s user error doing stuff like prying or using it as a screwdriver, or drop on cement
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

jkurtz7 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:31 pm
Sal, maybe Sandvik is more concerned with other parts of their business rather than knife steel. Up until today I had no idea they were into the whole mining equipment thing. It would appear from what I read today that it’s a large part of their business as well as other ventures.

Vivi, I’m with you there. I have a Mora with 12c27 and I like that steel a lot as well. 14c28n is great though, takes a screaming sharp edge just like AEB-L and easily at that.
I don't think any steel company is focused on cutlery at all (ok, maybe Damasteel?). It's just a tiny, tiny portion of the steel business.

I really like 14c28n and I've had lots of trouble finding it at suppliers in the USA (the raw steel--not knives made from it). If Sal's experience is typical, I can see why that happens. I wonder what percentage of 14c28n production goes straight to Kershaw?

Regardless, the real advantage of 14c28n over BD1n is price. I'm more than happy with BD1n in that role in the Spyderco line up, and I can't really see any reason to go to 14c on blades currently made in BD1n. I'd _love_ to see 14c (or BD1n, but I think that's not going to fit the pricing strategy) in some of the china models--the Bow River would be amazing--especially if it can hit a price point closer to the 8cr than the s35vn china models.
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

I agree. We're looking into a switch to 9Cr now.

sal
Which 9Cr? 9Cr13CoMoV, 9Cr18MoV, or 9Cr16MoV? Why and how much will that effect the price?

brian
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

sal wrote:
Surprising, Hitachi would send me 1,000 lbs of any steel they made, (except ZDP) on credit. Crucible, powdered Cruwear for us as a surprise for our Mule Team. They made SPY-27 for me and Magnacut for Larrin. The President of Takefu would regularly pay us a visit at the Blade show. We worked with Carpenter for years testing their blade steels as they were developing them. We've never had a problem with B.U.

sal
I always wondered, is it you guys who deal with the steel suppliers, or is it up to the respective factories? I always figured it was up to the plant, like you tell G.Sakai, we want to use Hitachi Super Blue - go get us some - but this sounds like everything goes through you to procure material
GTenn

Post by GTenn »

Gtscotty wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:55 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:23 pm
I’d rather see Spyderco move the budget line out of China entirely. There are other places to make knives if they can’t be repatriated due to cost. My Casio was made in Thailand for example. The world needs to BDS China.
^ Concur, other industries are starting to back out of the PRC and move into other less problematic countries, it would be nice to see Spyderco lead the charge on the knife front.
I could not agree more.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Brian,

I assumed 9Cr18MoV. But I'll verify. The maker said it takes longer to grind. We'll see what they do with cost?

Hi Garage Boy,

It depends on the maker. Usually we'll have the maker procure the steel to avoid the double shipping. In Taiwan, we supply the steel.

Hey GTenn,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

sal wrote:

sal
That interesting I was under the impression the Cruwear mule was ingot from your previous posts on the subject and no mention of it being CPM anywhere. Not that important just curious which it was.
sal wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:49 am
Thanx for the support. Now maybe "youse guys" can help us pick some new Mule Teams?

The Cruware Mule is getting ready to be released again. CATRA tests were quite acceptable, especially for an ingot steel. The Elmax Mule teams are on the shelf for the next release. Then ???

Probably needs a new thread?

sal