Stretch 2 Blade Shape

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jpm2

Re: Stretch 2 Blade Shape

Post by jpm2 »

sal wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:46 pm
Sales are always a big part of what stays around. The Stretch was to fill the 3.5" size range, but it didn't do what we'd/I'd hoped. It had to be the blade shape or the finger choil. I designed the Endela to serve the same function, and it does do better in sales. Straight Spine and no finger choil. The Straight spine Stretch also serves the 3.5" so and time will tell.

The main advantage of the drop point is better in processing game and it turns easier in the cut. Both points mentioned by David and Darby. Today I carried a straight spine stretch in K390. Had to go into Denver, where 3.5" is the max legal length.

sal
This is the reason I lower spines on tall bladed knives. But rather than drop points, I prefer blade shapes closer to spear and clip points.
sal

Post by sal »

FYI, Drop point UK's are scheduled for July and August production.

sal
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Which steel?
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

sal wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:28 pm
FYI, Drop point UK's are scheduled for July and August production.
sal
Looking forward to them, as I can't bring myself to grind down my ZDP caly3.
sal

Post by sal »

S30V.

sal
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Thanks, Sal.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

sal wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:46 pm
Sales are always a big part of what stays around. The Stretch was to fill the 3.5" size range, but it didn't do what we'd/I'd hoped. It had to be the blade shape or the finger choil. I designed the Endela to serve the same function, and it does do better in sales. Straight Spine and no finger choil. The Straight spine Stretch also serves the 3.5" so and time will tell.

The main advantage of the drop point is better in processing game and it turns easier in the cut. Both points mentioned by David and Darby. Today I carried a straight spine stretch in K390. Had to go into Denver, where 3.5" is the max legal length.

sal
Really like your approach of limiting what varies between models. The k390 SS stretch 2 and the k390 endela should give you a pretty clear signal about the effect the choil has on sales. Looking forward to see how that plays out.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I like the Stretch, the size, the ergos and the functional blade. At one point in time the Superblue Stretch was my most carried knife. But, on some days the blade shape just looks odd.

I’ve come to the conclusion that I prefer the PM2/Military blade shape with the sharper point, and it looks better to my eye. The straight spine is also useful to scrape with on a flat surface.

I am excited about the straight spine Stretch in K390, and my pre-order is in, but my old Stretches are going nowhere.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

:
Last edited by Roefisher on Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Roefisher,

I carry a drop point UK quite a bit when I'm traveling. legal and functional without raising eyebrows.

sal
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

:
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”