Sharpening Sprints and Exclusives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Have you sharpened your Sprints or Exclusives?

Yes
86%
No
5%
Depends on the model (please share)
6%
I do not own any Sprints or Exclusives
3%

Total votes: 146

Pickmansmodel82

Re: Sharpening Sprints and Exclusives

Post by Pickmansmodel82 »

Short of a couple I ordered as trade sweetener, all my knives get a new edge when needed. Trying new steels is a joy, even if it’s particular characteristics aren’t your cup of tea.
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

MFlovejp wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 2:42 pm

That's a beautiful edge!
Thank you! I've been loving them toothy lately, plus it takes less time/steps ;)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:26 pm
My S90V/CF Military with its back up. Guess how I voted.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/ ... CF0605.jpg
I thought of you while posting the thread. Always loved hearing about and seeing your users.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

The sprints are for the most part the best Spyderco has to offer. I only have a couple base models, and I’ve since decided to focus on sprints and exclusives only. Of course, if MagnaCut became the “base steel” I’d be more than content with it! Notable exceptions are the Salts, as while they are production they are anything but “base model”.

Just finished putting the final touches on my Z-Wear Shaman. I let this factory edge go much longer than normal, I was dreading reprofiling the blade. The Shaman is thiiiick! By the time I gave in the forward inch of the blade was pretty beat.
3470A83A-139A-4351-86F9-AB3D73A971A9.jpeg
This last spot on the tip took forever on the cbn rods, but I didn’t throw in the towel. Took no time at all to go through the brown and white rods and now I’m good to go.
CD586525-73D0-4B5F-BF24-FAD2EF712994.jpeg
The Shaman is a thick beast. It would be a candidate for a regrind!
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Of course I've sharpened them, because I've carried and used them. My bhq manix xl and shaman, z wear shaman... They're the only exclusives/sprints I own at the moment, but they're not safe queens!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Well after that intense sharpening I’ve used the Shaman daily including ye olde cardboard box duty. With 4 kids and 2 dogs you can imagine how much stuff is deleivered to the house in cardboard! :rolleyes:

So this latest story speaks to the toughness of this knife. This morning before work, with “help” from the herd, I was breaking down a heavy cardboard box from Chewy in which our Fenchie’s new crate was shipped. I was careful to avoid the big staples at the ends... but didn’t notice the staples on the SIDES. Naturally I found them with my nice crisp 30* edge :eek:
D358C233-F3CE-495B-B28C-1C9B28AEA8D6.jpeg
I didn’t have time to finish, but a few minutes on the cbn rods and the medium ceramics have a coarse shaving edge again. The sharpening response I’ve come to love from my CRUWEAR Millie is missing in this knife thus far, but I suspect I’m still working through the altered steel from the factory edge. I hope it “gets there”.

Has anyone poked the Z-wear Shaman yet for hardness? So far this blade feels harder on the stones than my Millie.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

If I cut enough that I think the sharpness may have been effected then I sharpen it, but I don't sharpen it before carrying it or anything. There are a few that I have sold before carrying, and a couple that I have now that I haven't used. So I guess it just depends, but I sharpen and use probably 90% of the sprints or exclusives I get.

I voted yes.
So it goes.
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

Interesting 97% say no...but almost all comments say yes I sharpen! Me all safe queens and a lot of them. :spyder: :spyder:
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I buy them to carry and use, which implies that at some point they will be sharpened. However I end up buying more than I can possibly carry so by rotating them they stay sharp for a long time. And then new models come out so even the ones that I intend to keep end up getting traded off for newer models. Of the approximately 10 that I have right now, only a couple have been sharpened. I suggest that a person like me should exert some restraint in sharpening because you never know when one of your prizes will get replaced.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Sharpening them is one of the main reasons I buy them.
-Turbo
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

Yes, I do.
Had to wait a little before answering, because I did not own an Exclusive or Sprint model, when this thread was started but I knew one was on it's way. So voting, "I do not own any Sprints or Exclusives" was set to be outdated quickly.
Out of my two Exclusives one is sharpened. The other will follow, when the time has come.
But I don't see the need to sharpen them right away. They come sharp enough out of the box for my taste. There will come more opportunities in the future to sharpen them.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I use them all. I usually carry it a day or two before I sharpen it and a week or two before I tinker with the pivot. On arrival a new knife immediately gets carried.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Finally decided to sharpen this one.

Hope it didn't hurt the resale value too much. :)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

My user Cruwear models and M4 models get sharpened and/or modified. Backups are in the safe, other sprints may or may not end up on the auction block. If I keep them, I plan to use them.
To be honest, it bothers me that production knives are considered highly valuable collectibles in my lifetime. This is all caused by false scarcity and manipulation of the market.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

jpm2 wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:25 pm

Lol, I was trying to figure out what model that was because I like the blade profile.... Until I saw the half ground away Spyder.
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

jpm2 wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:25 pm

I laughed right out loud at that! Thank you,
and I like what you've done with your Para3.

u.w.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Gtscotty wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:40 pm
Lol, I was trying to figure out what model that was because I like the blade profile.... Until I saw the half ground away Spyder.
u.w. wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:52 pm
I laughed right out loud at that! Thank you,
and I like what you've done with your Para3.
u.w.
Thanks Fellas, glad to know I'm not the only one who likes this type of blade profile.
Here's another one I finally decided to sharpen. :)

johnson

Post by johnson »

Like many other people here I buy knives to use and enjoy. All of my knives gets used and sharpened when necessary, doesn't matter if it's vanilla, sprint or exclusive.