Heinnie Haynes G10 S90v Urban

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Airlsee

Re: Heinnie Haynes G10 S90v Urban

Post by Airlsee »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:19 pm
...I would really appreciate if I can avoid dealing with international return of the Urban on top of what I'm already entangled in right now

Would it be easier to sell it than dealing with international returns?

That's what I will do. It will be quicker and less hassle over here. I will be extremely disappointed though and probably be out on Spyderco Maniago knives sight unseen. I don't know if it is as easy or if the secondary market is large in Norway...that's a bummer to hear about the Pena, those look really nice.
So it goes.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Airlsee wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:35 pm
aicolainen wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:19 pm
...I would really appreciate if I can avoid dealing with international return of the Urban on top of what I'm already entangled in right now

Would it be easier to sell it than dealing with international returns?

That's what I will do. It will be quicker and less hassle over here. I will be extremely disappointed though and probably be out on Spyderco Maniago knives sight unseen. I don't know if it is as easy or if the secondary market is large in Norway...that's a bummer to hear about the Pena, those look really nice.
Thanks for the tip... although, if it's too bad for me to wanna keep, I probably wouldn't have the conscience to sell it either. I guess we'll see how it looks and take it from there.
The secondary market i Norway is minuscule, but I think it's growing and there is a noticeable interest in modern knives from international brands, so it's not impossible to flip knives.
I don't think the Urban will be the easiest to flip. Although we have pretty silly knife laws, there isn't a specific restriction on locking folders, so the ones looking for slip joints are mostly in the market for more traditional patterns.
Rab

Post by Rab »

Just got mine today.
Blade length and size is slightly smaller than my AEB-L.
G10 Is a fantastic colour with a really nice texture.
Fit and finish on mine is spot on ;)
TheRandomCarry

Post by TheRandomCarry »

I think this is going to come down to a certain amount of expectation and standards.

I’m pretty sure there are plenty of people out there who would find the knife I received today to be absolutely perfect.

The small issues I have are:

1. The edge was very poor. It’s fixable, but you don’t expect it.

2. The G10 is trouser ripping rough. It doesn’t feel as great as some other G10.

3. The alignment of the spring and the scales are slightly out (seems to be a common issue here).

All of those things are really small when taken on their own, but I’d still expect more for a knife at this cost.

Other than that, it’s still my perfect EDC. I just wish there were aftermarket scales for it.

As it stands, mine is probably being sent back.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:50 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:41 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:39 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:42 am
I've got my fingers crossed. The sprint elmax Ti squeak was really nice. I will be holding this one to that standard.
Me too. Mine should arrive tomorrow if HH are at their normal level of service.
I am really interested to know what you think of it when you get it. Give us the good and not so good (if any).
Arrived today.

Feels nicer in the hand than the frn Urban, proper half stop. Good clean jimping, crisp edges but not sharp.

Very coarse peel ply g10. Mine has a minor imperfection (that I only just noticed, so can’t be that bad).

Spring polished but typical minor stripe imperfections (see thread elsewhere), and slightly recessed towards the blade.

Primary bevel good, well centred. Tip well covered. Secondary bevel a little wonky if you look close enough.

Pocket jewellery perfection? - no, this is not a Techno, nor up to my Golden made HH UKPK quality, but it IS a s90v g10 Urban!
Is the blade short or is it the same length as the K390? In other words is it 2.61 inch/6.62cm or longer or is it 2.45inch/6.2cm?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Zive

Post by Zive »

I’m curious about this too. Spec sheet lists both edge and blade lengths as 6.4 cm which seems unlikely given the choil…
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:22 pm

Is the blade short or is it the same length as the K390? In other words is it 2.61 inch/6.62cm or longer or is it 2.45inch/6.2cm?

Overall blade length is 62mm.

This is 10mm longer than my Elmax Squeak, and 12mm shorter than my HH UKPK.
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

This will be nice to add to the rotation...
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:45 am
Doc Dan wrote:

I was afraid of that. My new standard N690 Urban has that short blade. This must be a CQI. Sal mentioned it before that the blade was supposed to be that and I said I liked the blade length of the K390 and AEB-L models at 2.61 inches/6.62cm, which is the sweet spot for me in a pocket knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

These are measured from the top to where the handle meets the blade when opened, right? My N690Co one is ~2.6"

I get they wanted to make it legal in more places, and maybe I won't miss that little bit

Come on Fox/Viper - clean up your act on the F&F front, please

I like the Urban more than the UKPK as a basic EDC knife (fits nicely in the 5th pocket of my pants, and the shorter blade helps with the acceptability factor), so I'm rooting for it
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:34 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

I was afraid of that. My new standard N690 Urban has that short blade. This must be a CQI. Sal mentioned it before that the blade was supposed to be that and I said I liked the blade length of the K390 and AEB-L models at 2.61 inches/6.62cm, which is the sweet spot for me in a pocket knife.
My man from HH told me that the blade lenght is 6.4 cm( 2.52 inch). Mine is in the mail so … we shall see … but all I can say for now is that I am very pissed about that. Spyderco did a poor choice when they decided to shorten the blade lenght instead of stretching it … up to 2.75 inch maybe( or just leave it at 2.61). They just decided to almost ruin an awesome pocket knife. Really Sal !?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

elena86 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:48 am
Doc Dan wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

My man from HH told me that the blade lenght is 6.4 cm( 2.52 inch). Mine is in the mail so … we shall see … but all I can say for now is that I am very pissed about that. Spyderco did a poor choice when they decided to shorten the blade lenght instead of stretching it … up to 2.75 inch maybe( or just leave it at 2.61). They just decided to almost ruin an awesome pocket knife. Really Sal !?
Yeah. The Urban was my favorite pocket knife but I was shocked when I got that short bladed N690. The short blade looks odd, too. The thumb ramp has also been changed a little. It is not as comfortable for me. The K390 and AEB-L are spot on functionally and aesthetically. 2.61 to 2.65 is a nice spot for a pocket knife and that is why I like the earlier Urban Sprints. Any longer and the UKPK gets the nod. Any shorter and I might as well get a Squeak.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Tempting, but I already have 3 Urbans.
G10 finish looks kinda rough.
Still waiting for LC UKPK.
And DAMAUKPK, if it's ever gonna happpen...
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:00 pm
elena86 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:48 am
Doc Dan wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:

Yeah. The Urban was my favorite pocket knife but I was shocked when I got that short bladed N690. The short blade looks odd, too. The thumb ramp has also been changed a little. It is not as comfortable for me. The K390 and AEB-L are spot on functionally and aesthetically. 2.61 to 2.65 is a nice spot for a pocket knife and that is why I like the earlier Urban Sprints. Any longer and the UKPK gets the nod. Any shorter and I might as well get a Squeak.

I like the Urban more than the UKPK just because it's more compact and way thinner behind the edge. It's still a mistery to me why Golden made spydies are so thick bte. The Urban might be a helluva pocket knife with a 2.75 inch blade and of course a slightly longer handle to accommodate that blade. This model deserves to be moved to Taichung.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

:
Last edited by Roefisher on Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
Nate

Post by Nate »

elena86 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:27 am
I like the Urban more than the UKPK just because it's more compact and way thinner behind the edge. It's still a mistery to me why Golden made spydies are so thick bte. The Urban might be a helluva pocket knife with a 2.75 inch blade and of course a slightly longer handle to accommodate that blade. This model deserves to be moved to Taichung.

It’s been discussed before that the molds for the frn Spy DK are just sitting around and could in theory be easily re-used with a new 2.75” blade design to sit in between the UKPK and Urban (Cosmo- or Metropolitan were proposed names). Since the Urban has officially been shortened, it would seem to make even more sense to do this. If Spyderco won’t risk adding it to the permenant lineup, I think it would be a great platform for sprints/flash batches/or exclusives in different scale colors and european steels. QC may still be an issue in Maniago, but all of my examples from Italy have been fine.
:spyder:
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Nate wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:56 am
elena86 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:27 am

It’s been discussed before that the molds for the frn Spy DK are just sitting around and could in theory be easily re-used with a new 2.75” blade design to sit in between the UKPK and Urban (Cosmo- or Metropolitan were proposed names). Since the Urban has officially been shortened, it would seem to make even more sense to do this. If Spyderco won’t risk adding it to the permenant lineup, I think it would be a great platform for sprints/flash batches/or exclusives in different scale colors and european steels. QC may still be an issue in Maniago, but all of my examples from Italy have been fine.
I happen to like the SPY DK and carry one often. I like the trimmer blade. So, if they were to do something with the handle I'd be on board. I'd like to see the trim pointy blade kept. One hand opening and a tad longer would be plusses.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Nate

Post by Nate »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:22 am
I happen to like the SPY DK and carry one often. I like the trimmer blade. So, if they were to do something with the handle I'd be on board. I'd like to see the trim pointy blade kept. One hand opening and a tad longer would be plusses.

I like the idea of trying to preserve some of the trim DK profile. Not sure exactly how much that could be done while adding a large opening hole and keeping it accessible though.

Here’s an old comparison pic I posted:

:spyder:
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

:
Last edited by Roefisher on Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Very sad to learn about the shortened blade.
I’m quite ODC about blade to handle ratios, and especially in small knives like the Urban, it makes no sense to make it shorter than necessary.
Well, I guess 2.5” limits in combination with non-locking requirements exist somewhere, but that can’t possibly be a big market segment.
And if there is a will to serve such a market, it should be better to go all in and try make a choil-less handle forward slippy with 2.5” cutting edge instead of crippling a good design that allows for a longer blade. That would be performance oriented.
Sorry for the rant. I was really looking forward to getting this one, but after reading the above posts I’m preparing to be disappointed and do a instant flip/return.
With all that off my chest, it’s worth remembering that low expectations is the perfect way to set oneself up for a positive surprise..