New CPM Stainless Steel??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aaronkb

Re: New CPM Stainless Steel??

Post by aaronkb »

awa54 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:28 pm
...guess I'm the only one here who still loves the G10 Para 3 :confused:
I love it but it’s a little thicc for EDC
archangel

Post by archangel »

aaronkb wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:43 pm
awa54 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:28 pm
...guess I'm the only one here who still loves the G10 Para 3 :confused:
I love it but it’s a little thicc for EDC

Wear some wider pants, man. :confused:
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Just finding the time now to catch up on this....

Larrin, nice job with the research and development. It's got to be very gratifying to see your deep dive into steel history pay off as you find trends that aren't immediately visible. Also kudos to Crucible for taking a leap on a full heat!

Do you have a good idea of how big the 'sweet spot' is for MagnaCut with regards to composition tolerances? Mostly a question/concern for Crucible regarding future production...There's a lot of nooks and crannies in composition studies that go under-investigated due to production demands wanting more elbow room. That first heat sounds like it hit the bullseye, hopefully subsequent ones do too.

I'm eager to see how the enthusiast market responds. I know I'm most excited about the improved corrosion resistance.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This looks like the most well rounded steel so far. Very exciting!

Is it possible to apply this concept to create a more wear resistant steel as well? Can you increase the vanadium and/or niobium while still avoiding chromium carbides? Just curious if this concept can be expanded on?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:56 am

Is it possible to apply this concept to create a more wear resistant steel as well? Can you increase the vanadium and/or niobium while still avoiding chromium carbides? Just curious if this concept can be expanded on?
Heck yeah!! The more wear resistance we can get while not running too hard and also maintain relative ease of sharpening sounds great to me!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:03 am
Do you have a good idea of how big the 'sweet spot' is for MagnaCut with regards to composition tolerances? Mostly a question/concern for Crucible regarding future production...There's a lot of nooks and crannies in composition studies that go under-investigated due to production demands wanting more elbow room. That first heat sounds like it hit the bullseye, hopefully subsequent ones do too.
I did modelling of the projected properties for the projected composition range based on historical S35VN heat data. That is how I dialed in the final composition center points.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

bearfacedkiller wrote:

Yes.
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Larrin wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:26 am
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:03 am
I did modelling of the projected properties for the projected composition range based on historical S35VN heat data. That is how I dialed in the final composition center points.
That's good to hear! Sounds like we shouldn't see too much variation based on composition, then.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

You can buy a chunk of Larrinite here:

https://www.nsm-ny.com/index.cfm?fuseac ... gory_ID=93

A yard of it in 3" by 0.15" will cost ya $231.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Can't wait to see what custom makers put out with Magnacut this summer. Slicers to hard users and everything in between.

Deadboxhero, can you tell us what stones you've been using with it?
fixall

Post by fixall »

:D

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

https://youtu.be/cMeydvcqPCU
Knife Center has some Magna Cut up their sleeve.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Had a nice conversation with Dr Larrin about the finer details of the inner workings of PM stainless Steels and design.

Good insights to some of the decisions Dr Larrin made with MagnaCut's chemistry and the some of the reasons he used the carbon and chromium percentage weights he did based on how things work in the steel explained in the conversation.

Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Zive

Post by Zive »

Thanks, Shawn. Really appreciate what you and Larrin do to increase objective understanding of steels. It’s refreshing when so much of what is posted is anecdotal or subjective.

Cheers.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Zive wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:14 am
Thanks, Shawn. Really appreciate what you and Larrin do to increase objective understanding of steels. It’s refreshing when so much of what is posted is anecdotal or subjective.

Cheers.
I appreciate it, thank you.

I do feel subjective and anecdotal evidence are also important for building the full snapshot. However, I
immensely enjoy the more objective information since it's more challenging to get.

Thanks for watching, almost didn't get to posting it since I've been so busy with knives.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:59 am
Had a nice conversation with Dr Larrin about the finer details of the inner workings of PM stainless Steels and design.

Good insights to some of the decisions Dr Larrin made with MagnaCut's chemistry and the some of the reasons he used the carbon and chromium percentage weights he did based on how things work in the steel explained in the conversation.

Appreciate the info.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:58 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:

Heck yeah!! The more wear resistance we can get while not running too hard and also maintain relative ease of sharpening sounds great to me!
I think the chromium number needs to move up and down to adjust for the ratios of other potential carbide-formers. The thing that immediately let me know that Larrin could really be on to something was that he didn't just pick "stainless" or "non-stainless" as his chromium quantity. That range in the neighborhood of 10 percent, instead of 5-7 or 13+, is probably where a lot of the future action in knife steel development happens.
Craiger12

Post by Craiger12 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:59 am

This is an extremely interesting and helpful video, particularly for a novice like myself just trying to gain an understanding of the basic concepts of metallurgy as it relates to knife steels. Definitely a video I will have to go back and watch a few more times.