Elastic Ceramic. Wow!

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
KKnives_Switzerland

Re: Elastic Ceramic. Wow!

Post by KKnives_Switzerland »

If you guys haven't seen the videos in the starting post of the thread, I highly recommend it. No micro chipping, that's why I am so happy about this stuff.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Last edited by Fireman on Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
KKnives_Switzerland

Thx Fireman!
KKnives_Switzerland

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:55 pm
How would a material like this work in a locking folder? Would there be too much compression of the material to be secure in a lock?
Currently testing in folders. Will still take a while though before I can share results.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

KKnives_Switzerland wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:13 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:55 pm
How would a material like this work in a locking folder? Would there be too much compression of the material to be secure in a lock?
Currently testing in folders. Will still take a while though before I can share results.
If it doesn’t provide satisfactory lock performance, it might excel as a Slipit.
KKnives_Switzerland

Gathering more and more data about sharpening. CBN really is a promising candidate.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210625-102422_Gallery.jpg
KKnives_Switzerland

Just shaved my face with an elastic ceramic knife.
https://youtu.be/YXIpectE3q8
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:15 pm
If you guys haven't seen the videos in the starting post of the thread, I highly recommend it. No micro chipping, that's why I am so happy about this stuff.
Hello KKnives. I just sent you an E mail under fjosh492. Please take a moment to read it when you get time.
Sincerely. Joshua.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

This is interesting, especially the lack of crack propagation…
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
KKnives_Switzerland

Josh1973 wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:36 pm
Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:15 pm
Hello KKnives. I just sent you an E mail under fjosh492. Please take a moment to read it when you get time.
Sincerely. Joshua.
Sent you the shop link!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Received my two today. I'll report back once I have some time to run them through the wringer. :)
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

I got my 6 micron and 1 micron lapping films this weekend and spent some time on the HIC knife. I'd say I'm fairly adept at putting decent edges on pretty much any steel, but am not having great luck with the HIC. I tried stropping with 6 micron and then 1 micron foam backed film, and while I got the knife sharper than when it was delivered, to where it would roughly scrape hairs off my arm, it was not what I would call "sharp". In the same amount of time that I messed with the HIC, I stropped 8 steel knives back to sticky sharp. Maybe I should try my diamond stones, but I'm afraid using hard surface contact will chip out the edge.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I haven't tried sharpening, but I noticed that the HIC feels 'less sharp' to my finger than any steel blade. It still seems to be plenty sharp when I cut stuff with it though. It's almost as if it's deceiving my normal 'finger tests' for sharpness.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Not having carbides on the edge will give a different feel to the edge or how it grips I think. Perhaps we should have a special thread addressing sharpening this new material.
KKnives_Switzerland

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:29 pm
I haven't tried sharpening, but I noticed that the HIC feels 'less sharp' to my finger than any steel blade. It still seems to be plenty sharp when I cut stuff with it though. It's almost as if it's deceiving my normal 'finger tests' for sharpness.
I noticed the same. Personally, I blame this on the low friction coefficient of the material. Yet thats's just my explanation for this phenomenon/observation many customers report. I did find though that with a true V-edge, which is possible with diamond lapping films on a hard plate in a *guided* sharpening system, ( https://youtu.be/-2cuy0nhQaQ) this effect is less pronounced.

Regarding not having luck with diamond films on squishy foam: It was the same for me too at first. One definitely has to get used to it. Make sure that you hold the knife at a lower angle than you usually would, because it's very easy to accidentally round the apex. Especially when the foam backing is on the softer side. Edge trailing only, and make sure that the film stays lubricated with some sort of oil the entire time.

If you got the cash for a system like the one I linked above, a sharpness like this can be achieved from completely dull within 20minutes: https://youtu.be/YXIpectE3q8
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I have noticed the same thing when using 1000-3000 grit sand paper. I use a bench stone rather than wood as a surface top to get better results.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Roman have you done a video specifically on sharpening this material? If you haven't you probably should.

I'm going to mess around with the Worksharp guided sharpener and diamond lapping films today.
sal

Post by sal »

I've been using the CBN "Cat's Eye" on my Gauntlet sharpener at 40 degrees inclusive. Quick and effective. I think it's too coarse so the edge doesn't last as long. If we end up with the project, we'll make special CBN abrasives for the HIC.

sal
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Is there a suggested optimal angle to sharpen these blades? What angle do they come ground?
-Turbo
KKnives_Switzerland

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:03 am
Roman have you done a video specifically on sharpening this material? If you haven't you probably should.

I'm going to mess around with the Worksharp guided sharpener and diamond lapping films today.
Not yet, since I wanted to gather more data, which I soon will have completed.
Regarding the abrasives, as Sal wrote, too coarse is not ideal. The elastic ceramic definitely plays out its strenghts the most with a fine edge. Currently I found <1micron to be the ideal range. 0.5micron is my go to. I am waiting for one more type of abrasive to arrive and test in order to present you guys with a full on, extensive video, going over all the options.