Blade HQ M4/Jade Rock Lobster

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
WRB

Re: Blade HQ M4/Jade Rock Lobster

Post by WRB »

I like how it's both wide and thin. It really carries well in the pocket. I'm a big fan of the blade shape. If it came in LC-200N and skinny-mod I think it would be a real crowd-pleaser.

As it is I really like it, but I think M4 isn't the right steel for the knife. All the things I'd like to use it for aren't exactly M4 compatible. This knife just screams "Salt Series" to me. Unfortunately that's not an option so I'll just use it how I want and keep my fingers crossed that the M4 doesn't corrode too badly. If it does I see an acid wash in its future.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I ended up moving mine on to a friend. It's a fine knife and a good exclusive, but it doesn't hold up quite as well when compared to modern sheepsfoot folders such as the Caribbean. You can chase a grail, but you can't always tell until you hold it.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
vivi

Post by vivi »

WRB wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 10:36 pm
I like how it's both wide and thin. It really carries well in the pocket. I'm a big fan of the blade shape. If it came in LC-200N and skinny-mod I think it would be a real crowd-pleaser.

As it is I really like it, but I think M4 isn't the right steel for the knife. All the things I'd like to use it for aren't exactly M4 compatible. This knife just screams "Salt Series" to me. Unfortunately that's not an option so I'll just use it how I want and keep my fingers crossed that the M4 doesn't corrode too badly. If it does I see an acid wash in its future.
Skinny mod might work for smaller handed users, but I've yet to handle a skinny version of a Spyderco that felt more ergonomic than the original for my paws. Couldn't see the RL being more comfortable that way.....the width of the scales is one of the things that makes it work well in my grip.
:unicorn
WRB

Post by WRB »

vivi wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 6:41 am
WRB wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 10:36 pm
Skinny mod might work for smaller handed users, but I've yet to handle a skinny version of a Spyderco that felt more ergonomic than the original for my paws. Couldn't see the RL being more comfortable that way.....the width of the scales is one of the things that makes it work well in my grip.

I don't think the skinny mod would work that well for me, either. It seems like most have smaller hands judging by the prevalence of such mods, though.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mine is growing on me the more I handle it.

Spyderco executed this one perfectly from what I can tell. My pair of M4 Manix's were flawless too. Superb fit and finish, buttery action, a detent that makes its presence known without going overboard.

I have a few mods in mind.

1. Dye the scales dark green (Darker than my M4 Manix scales - https://i.postimg.cc/XJQqsTdw/20201217-145228-HDR.jpg)
2. Give it a properly pointed tip
3. Figure out a good way to darken the clip (suggestions?)
4. Round the corner on the rear of the handle where it pokes into my palm a bit:

I can see it being carried a good bit once I do that. It's smooth to operate, feels nice in my hand, isn't overly heavy or bulky, I love M4 and it will look slick with the green scales.

PS - Happy to report that it feels great for me choked up as if it had an index choil. Wasn't sure about that grip going by photos but it feels fine.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

vivi wrote: Mine is growing on me the more I handle it.
Its weird that Im starting to like mine more as well.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Collectors Club knife In Stk at New Graham... https://newgraham.com/Rock-Lobster-Natu ... SC126GM4P/
•• Beau
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

This is in stock at BHQ, is that normal?
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Zive

Post by Zive »

Nope. Saw one at New Graham but BHQ in stock is unusual.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

koenigsegg wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:40 pm

Being an exclusive means they can get more if they ordered more. Same thing happened with the Tanto M4 Para 2.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:42 pm
koenigsegg wrote:

Being an exclusive means they can get more if they ordered more. Same thing happened with the Tanto M4 Para 2.
That's true but I assumed the Tanto and Wharn PM2 were made more often because Spyderco doesn't want them impossible to obtain, since you can only get that style there.. could be completely off on that but I assumed the Rock Lobster was a one run and done, and BHQ usually waits for all shipments before listing the knife. Not trying to argue just my POV
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
vivi

Post by vivi »

koenigsegg wrote:
yes, they restock these runs once or twice usually. samething happened with the manix xl.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I think they might be selling off the last of their first run inventory that they withheld for potential exchanges.
-Nick :bug-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

koenigsegg wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:45 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:42 pm
koenigsegg wrote:

That's true but I assumed the Tanto and Wharn PM2 were made more often because Spyderco doesn't want them impossible to obtain, since you can only get that style there.. could be completely off on that but I assumed the Rock Lobster was a one run and done, and BHQ usually waits for all shipments before listing the knife. Not trying to argue just my POV

Could just be delayed shipment? Hard to say how many they actually have in stock.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Unless they're limiting orders to two per customer, their inventory is showing "only 2 available." I tried adding six to my cart but got an error message "Only 2 available."
-Nick :bug-red
Danke

Post by Danke »

If an order is cancelled or returned the point of sale software BHQ uses seems to put it back up online as immediately available.

Now is the time to contact their customer service to see if that knife is really back in stock and available to order or not.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Just traded my tanto pm2 (which just wasn’t my style) for one of these on SpydercoSwap. Super excited to give it a spin!
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

Because the world is a wired place and unexpected things happen, I got the Rock Lobster in CPM M4 in my hands. The same thing happened to Wartstein ( viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89492 ) not so long ago. Not the perfect knife for a lefty, but after a few minutes and some wired tries, I found a way to operate this knife reliable with my left hand.
Interesting design and the more I look at it and have it in my hands, the more I like it.
So far so good but the fit and finish on this knife is not in accordance with the price tag (I'm not talking about the price I paid, I talk about the MSRP, because this is the only comparable price, since this price always is made by the manufacturer). The detent is on the weak side of detents. It's so weak, I can shake the knife open just with the rotation of my arm. Furthermore, the bevels on this knife are ground very uneven. And I don't mean just the left side is different from the right, but also that the bevels nearly fade out at the tip (see pictures).
The tip should be easy to fix just with regular sharpening.
But the left and right bevel are so different, that I think it is not gonna be easy to bring them on the same level. I tried to measure the height of both bevels and got 0.9 mm and 1.6 mm. That is a significant difference of 78% or 44%, depending on how you look at it, but in both ways a lot of passes on the Sharpmaker.
photo_2021-07-15_11-56-07.jpg
photo_2021-07-15_11-56-07 (2).jpg
I know, both are things that can be fixed, but I'm really wondering why the customer has to fix these things on a knife with this price tag. This is my first Seki knife and at the moment it is also my last. Very disappointed.
I know, I probably could send it to Spyderco, and they would take care of these points, but I don't know if I want that, because I live in Europe and shipping would not be cheap. Yes, that's the risk, when buying a product from a company, that is located on another continent, but I don't think that it should be necessary to use such a service on a brand new knife, especially above a certain price point.
I'm sorry, if all this sounds like a rant, but while writing I just thought about all this and became more and more dissatisfied with the knife.

This is the point where I read through my text and decided, that I may be in a little rant mode and these problems may not be that bad in a few hours. So I did not post.

*** Over a week later ***

Over the next days, the knife just laid in its box and I did not touch it.
Then one evening I started with the detent. My usual approach with a ball end mill did not work, because the detent hole has a slit. I tried to use a key file, but this yielded no success either. So I ripped sanding paper in stripes and rolled it up. This worked, but was too slow for my taste. After more sanding, the solution struck my mind. The rods of the Sharpmaker. Now the detent is where I think it should be. Stiff (somewhere between two of my Manix) but no detent rock.
Nothing special about the rebeveling to say. It took its time, but now the bevels are pretty similar. I have stopped, when I could not see the difference with the naked eye. I am sure they are not perfect, but good enough for me.

So all in all, this now is a nice knife. Weird, but I would call it a Spyderco.

How do I see the whole situation now, that the shortcomings are gone, and a few days have passed?

I think the detent was ok. Not great but I could have lived with it, especially since I prefer a stiff detent, I think that I was the main problem here.

The uneven bevels still bother me. No, that's wrong. They are gone, so they don't bother me anymore, but I still think, a knife at this price point should not leave the factory in this condition. Yes, even with these uneven bevels it cuts and would be useable, but they don't represent a good fit and finish or quality control. Maybe I am a nick picky at this point, but it really bothered me and I think these uneven bevels may have been one reason, the knife was up for sale in the first place (I can not prove this, it's just my suspicion).
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Senfkarte wrote: Because the world is a wired place and unexpected things happen, I got the Rock Lobster in CPM M4 in my hands.....
My bevels were even and my detent was fine. Dont get me wrong, I would prefer all my detents be much stronger, but I could not easily shake the knife open.
Senfkarte wrote:
...This is my first Seki knife and at the moment it is also my last. Very disappointed.
I hate reading comments like this and frankly I think this mentality is close minded.

First you are judging a knife based off of edge bevels and detent strength. Two things that can have known variations between two of the same model knife.

While the detent should never be loose/weak, and I can understand being upset, the one I handled didnt have this problem.

Second, the worst bevels I have gotten from spyderco were from the Golden factory on a fairly expensive knife. While spyderco usually has good bevels, bad ones can still happen. Its just life.

What I dont like about the comment is that you are writing off like a quarter of spydercos catalog based off of one knife.
Also, its been stated on here for a while that seki g10 knives are not the best at their price point.
Get any of the seki lightweights and you will be happy.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Danke

Post by Danke »

Guy gets a messed up knife 4 months after the release date when it sold out in hours.

What seems more likely; a lemon from the factory or "someone" messed up the knife?

I know what sounds more likely to me.