Why did you join?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Alex Boswell

Re: Why did you join?

Post by Alex Boswell »

I joined to say the following: Please bring the Caly 3 back into regular production. Ideally in a premium steel.

It's the best knife you've ever made, and the world needs more.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Alex Boswell:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum and thank you for your input.

Stay safe,

Mike
Jbaffoh

Post by Jbaffoh »

I initially joined a few years ago when I had a problem with my first Spydie—the Tusk. The scales lining the slot for the spike were sharp and gouging and nicking the spike. It was a common complaint—you can’t splice softer line if the spike is going to snag the fibers. I wrote to ***** about it. I returned my Tusk and exchanged it for another, hoping the problem was not on all units. It was there, so I just filed the edges and it soon became my favorite knife. I was disappointed that Spyderco customer service never returned my emails, but I had to love the knife. Then I got hooked on other Spyderco knives and my collection grew. Now I’m here to plead for more LC200N—let’s start with the Kapara!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Alex Boswell wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:24 pm
I joined to say the following: Please bring the Caly 3 back into regular production. Ideally in a premium steel.

It's the best knife you've ever made, and the world needs more.
I would like to second this request and humbly ask for a K390 model :spyder:
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I joined because I appreciate the beauty, practicality, and functionality of Spyderco knives. I joined because I've learned a lot from reading members' experiences with Spyderco products. And, when I was looking for a Spyderco knife for a specific need (such as outdoor/field/camping use), a search of the Forum revealed a tremendous amount of actual field use and experiences of particular Spyderco models, which, in turn, helped me make a decision on what to get.

Most important is the environment that Sal and Kristi have provided for the Forum. Kristi is most certainly diligent in her oversight of the Forum... she has always shown fairness patience, and tolerance of members' postings... AND, she has been quick and decisive in maintaining order and discipline when needed. The end result is a safe and fair environment for all those interested in Spyderco products to come, learn, and share their experiences.

Thank you, Sal, Kristi, and the Spyderco Crew, for all you do!
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Somniloquist

Post by Somniloquist »

About 15 years ago, I bought my first "good" knife. It was a Spyderco Caly 3 in ZDP. I paid the princely sum of $100 CAD for a used example on a forum. I remember opening that package and reeling with self doubt. A hundred dollars? On a single pocket knife??? Was I crazy? I was a poor student at the time and it was definitely a splurge for me then. That knife was amazing. I wish that I still had it.

Buying that knife kicked off a very enjoyable hobby for me. Collecting knives, using them at home and in the wilderness and eventually trying my hand at forging a couple. I have learned a great deal about this hobby since that time. I have had the good fortune to own many, many knives at all price points but I keep coming back to Spyderco.

To me, that Caly was emblematic of what makes Spyderco great. Amazing ergonomics, probably the best in the business. Like shaking hands with an old friend. Cutting edge materials; how many folders had a super hard steel like ZDP in 2006? And superior manufacturing techniques; a laminated blade that was nicely polished, sleek CF scales mated flush and perfect to the back spacer, the satisfying "snick" as blade locked open. All for a fair price.

Anyway, after all this time and lurking this forum without an account for many years it seemed like I should join and maybe add to the discussion. So here I am!

And Mr. Glessner, if you are reading this, thanks to you not only for your fine products but for creating such a nice community and being its ambassador. In a time when the internet can seem like an increasing dark and foreboding place it is so nice to come here and read some friendly and engaging discussion. I look forward to being a part of it.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Somniloquist,

Welcome to our forum.

Thanx much for the support and kind words. We hope you enjoy your time here and share your thoughts.

sal
Somniloquist

Post by Somniloquist »

sal wrote: Hi Somniloquist,

Welcome to our forum.

Thanx much for the support and kind words. We hope you enjoy your time here and share your thoughts.

sal
Thank you sir, I'm sure that I will. Wishing you and your team the best.
max808

Post by max808 »

Years ago my buddy showed me a fully serrated police model and that was that. Loved everything about it but ended up in the c12 family. Looking to complete that collection with the elusive c162. Thank you Sal and everyone involved for offering us a place to socialize and learn. Have a good one Sir.

max
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

sal wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:19 am
Hi All,

I guess I've been doing the forum thing for a couple of decades now. While I've seen many come and go as the hobby / intgerest is not for everyone, I have seen a number of folks hang in for years as we discussed things not often discussed in forums about designs, steel, performance, etc. I feel like I've come to know many like; Paul, Joe, Darby, etc. in this endeavor.

In the last couple of years, we've had quite an influx of new people join the forum and participate in our discussions.

So I would like to know; Why did you join this forum?

sal
Joined to learn more about the Spyderco Knives I've recently started carrying.
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

sal wrote:
Hi All,

I guess I've been doing the forum thing for a couple of decades now. While I've seen many come and go as the hobby / intgerest is not for everyone, I have seen a number of folks hang in for years as we discussed things not often discussed in forums about designs, steel, performance, etc. I feel like I've come to know many like; Paul, Joe, Darby, etc. in this endeavor.

In the last couple of years, we've had quite an influx of new people join the forum and participate in our discussions.

sal
Simply put Sal. To learn more about knives from members and manufacturers. And keep up with technology concerning cutlery. Also I find this forum better maintained and a lot more friendlier and professional than Blade Forums.
Last edited by Josh1973 on Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

sal wrote:
Hi All,

sal
Sorry. Computer glitch. Accidentally double posted.
Chleiti

Post by Chleiti »

I'd been lurking and reading for a little while but I finally joined the forum because I wanted to be able to track posts to make sure to get an alert for the Colorado flag PM2 that I desperately want- I may have moved away but it's still in my heart and hopefully soon in my pocket. Fingers are crossed and credit card info is ready for tomorrow morning!!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I think another interesting aspect of this is "Why did you stay on and why do you keep coming back?" I first came on to ask about a minor problem with a knife but stayed on because of the surprisingly friendly helpfulness and high caliber of the members. Then I got caught up in the excitement of sprint runs and exclusives and I was quickly hooked. After about three months, I figured out the difference between sprints & exclusives :D which was a great help in my effort to get them.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Hi Sal,

It's nice to be back. I've been away for some years, I have been building a new house for my family the last 2 years and this took up all my free time. But "vetus amor non sentit rubiginem" meaning old love does not rust. I knew I would be coming back to the forum so day :)

First I used the forum for some time to learn more on the older Spyderco models and have insights in the new knives that where coming. So in the beginning it was pure knowledge gathering and learning. And oh boy what a wealth of information is there to find on this forum.
But when reading up on the information on the forum I got to notice that this company was really listening to there customers and actively engaging with there customers. Which until today I have rarely seen in other companies.
These elements and the unique drive of the company to innovate and try new things in combination with the awesome users on this forum made me join the forum in 2011.

Big thanks to the Spydie Crew and all the members on the forum!
djinnzfree

Post by djinnzfree »

Hi Sal,
I like to be inform of latest thing, technical, design, knowledge, picture, how blades are evoluting in time...
Thanks!
Big_Tex

Post by Big_Tex »

For me I’ve been really impressed with all the ways I see Sal and the Spyderco crew interact with the customers... love it. Makes me feel closer to a product I love!
Bryan
Atlanta, GA
IG @BryanCBailey

Current pocket rotation:
Z-Wear/Micarta Shaman
Magnacut Native 5 LW
k390 Endela

:bug-red : 73 Spydies in the collection
GTenn

Post by GTenn »

I joined as way to read ”news” about Spyderco knives.
I grew up knowing my Grandpa would whip me if he found me without a knife in my pocket. I was drawn to Spyderco because of the support for first responders, law enforcement, and the military.
I spend a lot of time lurking, but will gladly join in if I had something to add. Someone else is usually already there with a great response, and I have nothing to add to the conversation.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear GTenn:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
wmcbride

Post by wmcbride »

Sal,

I joined the forum around the time I bought my first Spyderco, around a decade ago. I read a lot more than I post, and I have come to deeply appreciate that you and your team are consistently pushing the envelope on affordable high-performance cutlery. I come here primarily to learn

I bought my dad a caly 3.5 that he’s carried religiously for years now (the g-10 is polished smooth) and he just gifted my son what I think is the last ZDP-189 caly 3.5 sold directly by Spyderco. I’ve got a Superblue and VG-10 caly 3.5 that I carry. So, all three generations of us have and appreciate Spydies.

Regards,
Will