Dedicated left-hand SE grind model?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Supacede

Dedicated left-hand SE grind model?

Post by Supacede »

Hi,

Been enjoying my new salt 2 SE at work. Yesterday I sharpened for first time on a goldenstone during break. It's really the first time I've used serrations regularly and I think I'm beginning to appreciate their usefulness and toughness.

Only one thing, though, as a lefthander.

Im sure it's been brought up before at least as far as lock configuration i.e. the left-handed military; regardless Spyderco's backlock has already nailed ambidextrous open/close.

Only curious if anyone else would be interested in one or two of the main models, possibly the Endela and Salt 2, offered in left-hand ground SE.

I'm getting better at sharpening SE at work on the goldenstone but it would be nice to have left-handed versions (serrations ground on opposite side) of at least one main SE model. It's not really tough to do, just a bit awkward.

Im happy w vg-10 and/or h1.

Curious if the ~10% of Spyderco customers who've lived their lives in a backwards world would be onboard.

Thank you, Mr. Glesser, love your products and business model.
yablanowitz

Re: Dedicated left-hand SE grind model?

Post by yablanowitz »

As a right-handed person, I'd be in for what you are asking. Having the serrations ground on the presentation side has always annoyed me. They actually work better when used left-handed.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

As a lefty I'd be interested LH Native 5 SE. I made a thread about this not long ago viewtopic.php?t=89691
Spyderco has done LH SE in the past on several models but good luck finding one.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd love to try a knife with the serrations ground on the back of the blade, but I also think right handers have an advantage when sharpening so it's a tradeoff for me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Sometimes when the mind gets to wandering, I'm inclined wonder about something like a round nosed Caspian with PE on the sweep side and serrations (not saw teeth) along the modest hawkbill side made in LC200N. Dunno about the legality, tho.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I’m a lefty and I actually find the existing SE grind to be perfect for me. Single sided, lefty chisel ground, kata ha Japanese knives are ground on the same side, although they’re optimised for slicing on a cutting board of course.

Sal has mentioned that the existing SE grind has a safety aspect for righties, as the knife steers into the material which is being cut. This is not so important to me. I find the existing setup works great for lefty feathersticking and fine tinder shaving etc.