Would you buy a Tanto Para 3?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you buy a Tanto Para 3?

Yea
31%
Nay
69%

Total votes: 72

JRinFL

Re: Would you buy a Tanto Para 3?

Post by JRinFL »

I voted no. If it were closer to a Japanese style tanto it would be a maybe, otherwise I'm not the biggest fan of the American Tanto and I have no urge to add any more to the horde.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

For many years, I was a member of the "Tanto blades are stupid" club. But, for hard use, they've become my go-to blade. I have a banged up Emerson Mini CQC-7 and Cold Steel Voyager L (Japan-made) that get this use a lot. It wasn't until I started throwing everything I could at the banged-up vintage Cold Steel that I realized they were a pretty nice blade. In fact, the Emerson had mostly been stored, as it was in poor condition. I also had a CRKT M-16 10KZ that I hated because the handle was too narrow.

I did vote yes, but am curious as to how it would really be implemented on the shorter blade of the Para 3. I EDC one, but usually choose my Native 5 for most jobs.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Would I? Could I? The limited availability of the tanto PM2 is a joke.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I’d be interesting to see the real thing before actually making the decision. Regardless of the opinions in this thread, I think it’s very likely a dealer (BladeHQ) will order some from Spyderco.
I think the design of the Tanto Pm2’s blade seemed well done and I see the use for the blade shape, so I voted yes.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Matus

Post by Matus »

Well, we can assume that a limited run of few hundred pieces would sell out in minutes. A serial production would probably not be quite as popular as the standard model though.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:21 am
I voted nay because I have no interest in Tanto blades

Same
So it goes.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The only Tanto I want from Spyderco is a Lum with a framelock.

As a side note, there was a Lil Native Tanto in the proto case at BladeShow...
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

Love the PM2 Tanto, but I wouldn’t buy a Para 3 version.
I wouldn’t mind if they make one though, I’d imagine many would like it. Personally, I’d rather see Spyderco make a fixed blade version. Or just focus their efforts on making some different blade steel versions of the PM2, namely Cruwear. Cruwear is a perfect match for a tanto
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Not a fan of the Para3 and passed on the Para2 tanto. I wouldn’t buy one but I am not the target for this model. I am sure many others would buy it. I assume it will happen eventually.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

I would, just for the stronger blade since they don't do a saber grind on the PM3. For me it's my saber grind wave Pm2 that is the knife I never new I needed. Bought a tanto Pm2 just for a more durable tip.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Grant everyone who likes the concept a Tanto Para 3. :)

But no from me cause the Para 3 is one of my least favorite Spydies and I´d personally like to see other models starting to get more variants
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Voted no, but the more accurate answer would be "on one condition" because I'd only ever buy a Para 3 if it was a Spyderco Forum Knife, in which case blade type would be irrelevant.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Cl1ff wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:22 am
I’d be interesting to see the real thing before actually making the decision. Regardless of the opinions in this thread, I think it’s very likely a dealer (BladeHQ) will order some from Spyderco.
I think the design of the Tanto Pm2’s blade seemed well done and I see the use for the blade shape, so I voted yes.
It seems that avid spydi fans don't like em as much regular knife enthusiasts do. I think it's a matter of esthetics.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:34 am
Voted no, but the more accurate answer would be "on one condition" because I'd only ever buy a Para 3 if it was a Spyderco Forum Knife, in which case blade type would be irrelevant.
That is very specific.
"Some call me...Tim?"
husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

Yep, and Ive been saying this since I got my hands on the fist PM2 Tanto. I would have really liked one in REC DLC 10V and Coyote Brown but BHQ has the rights to the "Tanto" AFAIK
kobold

Post by kobold »

I admit I don't own a tanto, mainly because I am not sure what are the advantages. This is the only one to tempt me, purely because of its looks and the opening hole:

Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

No... The last thing the world needs is another short, chubby tanto bladed pocket knife.