Karambit Design Flaw

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DaileyC

Karambit Design Flaw

Post by DaileyC »

My girls baught me a Spyderco Karambit for Fathers Day (great children I have and an understanding wife). I have come across a serious problem and I am not sure if it is a design flaw or just from a bad production set and only my blade. Here is the issue: It does not have any type of seperation brace on the ring end. So when the blade is opened (and closed if you squeeze it firmly) and the grip held firmly, both sides of the ring squeezes together and causes the pocket clip to swival around freely. In other words, the clip will not remain seated properly in its groove because of the additional space that is created by squeezing firmly on the knife. Is anyone else aware of this problem? Is it my blade or a design flaw.

If I put a small rubber washer between both sides of the ring area just at the butt end to prevent it from squeezing together, it becomes a very solid, tight blade. However, without it, it feels very flimsey. But I would prefer a better method.
ken

Post by ken »

DaileyC-

Hello and welcome! I do not own one of the Spyderco Karambit's but have heard of this problem. So it must be some kind of design flaw or something that was overlooked. You would think that it should have some kind of backspacer in that area.
There is a write-up on this knife in "tactical knives" mag. and this issue was not mentioned either but others on this forum have experienced this. Maybe there will be a new and improved version will address this.

ken
ken
BladeGoblin

Post by BladeGoblin »

I own a kerambit and dont have that problem and I would think, (not having the knife in front of me), that it would take quite a bit of pressure to produce this problem. So my question would be, how hard are you squeezing and why?
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha and welcome DaileyC!

How blessed you are to have received a Karambit for Father's Day!

Interesting what you just mentioned about that ring...I never had that problem with mine, but then again, I never attempted to REALLY squeeze like that...

God bless :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
dialex

Post by dialex »

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum. I think the Karambit is merely an exotic appearance in the Spyderco line, many got it mostly for collectable purposes rather than using it, that's why this clip issue was somehow neglected. It's a good thing that you found the problem and also a way to solve it :)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

Hi and welcome
like Mike Janich said in a recent TK article: a few minutes with a dremel or a round file should make the extended grip much more comfortable.

Not really a design flaw....just the way it was designed

-Dean
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I love the small clip on my devil knife. The kerambit deploys into reverse grip the best of all my spydies using a one handed gross motor function opening technique. Yet once in reverse grip it stays there and I fall back on the Janich/Keating/Worden drills I normally use in training. in this grip I never squeeze the ring together gripwise. Are you doing the silat styled flippy twirley things when this is happening?
Perhaps that is really a design feature geared towards keeping one's touch light during those fast arching extention/ retraction cuts. :p
Really I think the spyderco kerambit is engineered to stay in the hand while delivering the more devastating reinforced cuts that'll end the fight rather than a classical demo model for spinning.
Not that kerambit spinning doesn't look cool, or potentially effective when expertly done :D :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
DaileyC

Post by DaileyC »

The knife only needs to be squeezed enough to maintain a firm grip before the clip begins to spin around. I am not talking a very hard squeeze either (however, the clip should not swival under any type of pressure). No fancy Silat drills either, just a plain ol' pull it from the pocket and go to work. In fact, several times the swival started free floating during some drawing, effecting my grip Like I said by placing a spacer in myself, it is now a very solid knife, but that is only a temp solution.
Michael Cook

dat just ain't right

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: That sounds like a warantee issue. I've been edc-ing mine for 2 weeks now with no such problems. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Call up warranty and send it back
RoBoTech

Post by RoBoTech »

I realize I am resurrecting an OLD thread here.
But, I have a NIB Spy Karambit that I just purchased to keep.
So why worry about that flex in the back (ring) end?
Well, I have purchased three of these to get one good one.
And I had even got scammed with a copy, that luckily, PayPal took care of.
One had a LOT of flex there, and one had been over tightened at the clip screws and the back end was very near touching. Can't be good for knife frame or action as that would eventually warp the scales.
So, just to do it (I can't leave anything alone), I thought I would find out if anyone does, or would, make a shouldered spacer (steel or Titanium) to slip in that ring to help stabilize the back end and the 'pinching".
I would do it myself, but I have no metal working tools that can do this job.
If anyone knows of where that can be purchased, I would appreciate it.
I am contacting STR later today to see what he can do.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would contact STR as you mentioned or not worry about it. The design doesn't require white-knuckling as the grip is secured by the ring.
RoBoTech

Post by RoBoTech »

Blerv wrote:I would contact STR as you mentioned or not worry about it. The design doesn't require white-knuckling as the grip is secured by the ring.
Did you read my post?
I never mentioned white knuckling the grip.
Whew...
RoBoTech

Post by RoBoTech »

For the posters that are interested, here is what i am talking about

And yes, that is the end (ring side) of the Karambit. Notice NO white knuckling, here.
It was caused by over tightening the clip screw. That area seems to be a little weak.
It seems the previous owner thought it was SUPPOSED to have been pressed together, and he messed up the clip screw slots to even get it that close.
I could drill a hole and put a standoff on the end, but that would ruin the collectors value of a NIB Karambit.
I sent that one back.
And I have gotten one that with the lightest touch, NO WHITE KNUCKLING, you could pinch that back end together.
THAT is what I am talking about here, NOT a "white knuckle grip"
The NIB one I have is fairly stable in that area, but they all aren't.

Here is a pic of a SS spacer that takes care of the problem. It was made by a not-local-to-me machinist from SS tube. It was $40.00 at the time, plus the stock.
It was made to better fit an index finger, and to stabilize the back end.

I hope to find a TI spacer for that 40.00, we'll see.
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

If there is anything that can mess with this design, it is overtightening the screw of the stop-pin.
Just how smooth is the blade action?
And is the original spacer still in place.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Before the accusations start flying of you using deceptive and misleading macro photography tactics, I see exactly what you are referring to, RoBoTech. That spacer ring in your last pic looks like a great idea and a nice looking mod to boot. I hope you find the resolution you are looking for. Good luck.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Why don't you chill out and have someone mod it? I had no pics to refer to and didn't understand.

My only point was a little flex won't destroy a knife especially where it's not typicially stressed. I wasn't blaming you for abuse. Well, I guess I can now for that random tirade.

For the record I did care and was trying to be cordial. Was = past tense.
RoBoTech

Post by RoBoTech »

Blerv wrote:Why don't you chill out and have someone mod it? I had no pics to refer to and didn't understand.

My only point was a little flex won't destroy a knife especially where it's not typicially stressed. I wasn't blaming you for abuse. Well, I guess I can now for that random tirade.

For the record I did care and was trying to be cordial. Was = past tense.
There was nothing cordial about that post lil' buddy.
You gave me permission to get a hold of STR WHICH I ALREADY HAD SAID I was going to do.
Then attack me by mentioning "white knuckle" when there was NOTHING said that way.
Then said don't worry about it when that's not your call, or your business.
I deal with your ilk all day.
What you did in that post was "project" onto me something you thought was said. That's a symptom or larger mental problems.
And you came off as "I am the smartest guy in the room, just ask me".
I don't play well with you "smartest guys in the room" types.
You want to crap on this thread with more of your blather, have at it. You have no credibility or relevance to me at this point.
You gave NOTHING constructive in that post, so why even post it?
Pure tripe and I ain't buying it.
I was highly offended and now you want to come back and say "you cared"? We'll let the other posters here decide on that one. I am done with you.

For Piet.S, the action on that pinched one wasn't that bad. But you know that if left in that condition, it would eventually warp.

For Jay_Ev, you are right, it was a good idea and I will find one, even if I have to have it made.
Thank you

And I do worry about it enough to pay for the fix when I can find it, and THAT'S MY business.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Lol. I'm so confused. I guess I'll go kick a puppy now since that's my MO.

Can someone please explain what about "white knuckle" is offensive? I just meant "firm grip"... :confused: The other part was agreeing and supporting the poster not "giving permission".
Wisehybred

Post by Wisehybred »

Blerv wrote:Lol. I'm so confused. I guess I'll go kick a puppy now since that's my MO.

Can someone please explain what about "white knuckle" is offensive? I just meant "firm grip"... :confused: The other part was agreeing and supporting the poster not "giving permission".
Calm down both of you, and
Blerv your suppose to be a role model on this forum........