Thoughts on the Chinook 4?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheGiant80

Thoughts on the Chinook 4?

Post by TheGiant80 »

My retailer has the Chinook 4 in stock for a decent price. I’m curious, but I can’t really find any recent reviews or thoughts on the blade.

Any of the Spyderco Forum folks have experience with this powerlock bad boy?! I’d love to hear the good and the bad!
vivi

Re: Thoughts on the Chinook 4?

Post by vivi »

They're extremely well made. I've handled every generation but never pulled the trigger because there's a little bit too much belly for my tastes. Back in the day the Manix C95 and Chinook were extremely similar, so I went with the C95 as it seemed more utility oriented.

The fourth generation is my favorite because it has more cutting edge and the power lock.

This post is making me want to look around to see if I can find one for a good price before they all dry up. Maybeif I carry it for a while the blade shape would grow on me.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is one of those models that every version catches my eye every time I see one, especially the originals in CE and I've been very tempted but like Vivi it just has way too much belly for my preferences and too much upswept tip. I really considered the 4 because I really wanted to try out the lock. If I found one for a REALLY good price I'd probably buy it just to scratch the itch.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It's designed for James Keating's fighting style, so unless you need a skinner, the blade shape is not ideal for EDC use. I have an original and never upgraded to the later ones as I found I had no use for it. All versions are tanks, but the 1st and the 4th are the most beastly.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
benben

Post by benben »

I have a 3 that I’ve never used or carried, been thinking about moving it. The lockup is ridiculous, when the lock snaps in place it has this crazy loud audible “clack”. It’s a serious knife! The Dino jimping is the coolest feature of this knife, I wish they’d bring it back on certain knives!
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

I have two Chinook 4's. They are not for every day cutting tasks. They are for social work. They can be used for every day tasks in a pinch, but are not ideal. I usually carry another knife for regular tasks when carrying a Chinook.

It's a nice enough knife. Solid construction. Power Lock is interesting. I find I end up having to adjust each of the three pivots (lock bar, cam, and blade) when an adjustment is needed.

Clip is tip up only. I wish it had tip down. Sometimes I carry with the clip removed.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I was in the same position; found some C4s at good prices and had to think hard about it. Ultimately decided to pass since I don't have Keating-style training which emphasizes a tip-flip backstroke (actually cutting with the dull side of the tip if I understand it correctly...though I probably don't...), and can't make much use of the large belly for anything else.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

I appreciate the input guys. I was perusing the website I buy gear from, saw that, and thought it looked nice and beefy (and possibly difficult to acquire). The handle size seemed ideal, but I think the extremely upswept tip is a turn-off more than anything. I think I'll just hold out for the G-10 Stretch XL that Sal was discussing recently..
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

I got 1 and really like it. I wasn't sure about it myself but it is a very underrated knife. Master James Keating knows a thing or 2 about knives and design. I love mine!! And have never regretted getting 1. The power lock is awesome. Hope this helps.
vivi

Post by vivi »

marty_bill_ wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:57 am
I got 1 and really like it. I wasn't sure about it myself but it is a very underrated knife. Master James Keating knows a thing or 2 about knives and design. I love mine!! And have never regretted getting 1. The power lock is awesome. Hope this helps.
You could also consider the C95. They're basically the utility version of the Chinook 1-3. They pop up from time to time. I am going to send you a link to one for sale right now that looks to be in good shape.
Zac wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:56 pm
i dont have closeups of the iii, but the iii is flat ground, pe
:unicorn