Paramilitary 2 Sheepsfoot Blade!!!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you want PM2 Sheepsfoot (longer blade)?

I love it and I want it now!
35%
Interested but I need to see a real thing first
36%
I'll keep my standard PM2
30%

Total votes: 101

steelcity16

Re: Paramilitary 2 Sheepsfoot Blade!!!!!

Post by steelcity16 »

I'm not really a PM2 fan, so I'm not really interested in this one. It looks like an Endela blade in a PM2 and the Endela is already better than the PM2 in every way in my opinion. But for PM2 fans and comp lock fans this might be an interesting concept. Everyone owes it to themselves to give the Endela a 30 day test drive though, regardless of how you view backlocks or FRN or knives not made in the USA. I've had 'em all and the Endela is my favorite Spyderco by a pretty wide margin.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I wanted this a while back, and I love your mock up! I love how the knife looks in the closed position with the blade lining up with the scales. Really helps my OCD!

viewtopic.php?t=87169
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I voted to keep things the same. I like the Para2 just the way it is. Now I do like the tanto version but NO!! I don't want a Sheepsfoot version. I already have so many RESCUE models and models of that same ilk.

Nope the Para2 should stay the way it is IMO. Now I'm always open to improvements in the locking systems and better blade steels. And I might be open to some other blade style but there are already more than enough Sheepsfoot blades in Spyderco's main line up to suit everyone's needs.
kobold

Post by kobold »

33-33-33%
wow.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Seeing the thread title "Paramilitary 2 Sheepsfoot Blade!!!!!," my gut reaction was "ehh, no thanks.." Seeing the OP's vision in the mockups though.. I actually really like that! Reminds me more of the Delica/Endura/Endela tip (ok, maybe more pronounced) than a traditional sheepsfoot. I can get behind adding tip strength to a hard-use PM2. I'd probably have to see the final version before buying, but long as the blade didn't get too "sheepish," I think I'd be all over it. Voted accordingly..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I dunno. It looks so much like the endura blade I think I'd pass on it. Maybe more attractive to me if it had less belly to the edge. I like the handle/lock better on the pm2 than the endura, so it has that going for it. If I'm looking for a harder use knife/blade shape, like a drop point blade though, I grab my shaman. Nice work setting up the picts. Cheers
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

That drawing above is NOT a sheepsfoot blade profile.

This is closer to a traditional sheepsfoot (sorry about the lint):
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 12.20.55 PM.png
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah, that's not what I'd consider a sheepsfoot, it's more like the current Delica "idiot proofed non breakable" tip.

I'd maybe be interested in something like this though. Not sure how that works with a thumb ramp. This is now more of a wharnie or maybe even a reverse tanto, but I'd be fine with the factory shape too so I could mod it to my liking.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Worm

Post by Worm »

I like the idea.
Would love to see 3 mm blade stock and some weight reducing,
maybe G10, CF or Micarta without liners, similar to Para3 LW.

Above reasons made me choose a K390 Endela for that size and application range.

Having a Para3 LW, Native 5 LW & Lil' Native in Rex 45, I can understand the appeal of better lateral-blade lock from Golden models, compared to all my FRN-scaled backlocks (Delica, PacSalt, Endela) from Seki.

Still waiting for a PM2 in a configuration i like (simply comparing model data there are always better spydies for me, like the Watu or Manix 2 LW).
Maybe the upcoming Cru-Carta version, but for that weight I can get a Native Chief.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:51 am
Yeah, that's not what I'd consider a sheepsfoot, it's more like the current Delica "idiot proofed non breakable" tip.
Worm wrote: I like the idea.

David, I am sure you don´t mean this offensive, but still: The Delica / Endura tip shape imho is actually a very good thing:

The tips are still more than pointy enough, but just a tad stronger.
There are scenarios, where one just does not have them time to be a bit careful with a very fine tip: DFirst and foremost hard work that has to be done really quickly.
The main example for this in my use is, when I have to unpack helicopter loads in a very short time, cause the stuff has to be unpacked and moved out of the way before the chopper brings the next load. This is both hard and also "high speed" knife use, all sorts of (packing) material has to be cut, the knife hits the metal of for example barrels all the time and so on (see this very old post of mine: viewtopic.php?t=79554&start=780#p1344045)

/ Worm: 3mm stock and a bit re enforced tip is a great idea!
I never really understood the combo of thick blade, but rather fragile tip in PM2 and Para 3: Why not give the knives the slicier 3mm (instead of around 3.7mm) in the first place? 3mm is more than strong enough (see Endura, Manix (3.2mm)...) and the tip is too fragile for real beating anyway.
Thinner stock, but re enforcing the tip if the knife should be able to take a real beating is the better way to go imho.

And: Tips of course are not made pointy or not only by the shape of the blade in the tip area when one is looking on the flat of the blade. Factors like tapering, grind angle, chisel or v-grind, thickness behind the edge, sabre vs ffg and so on play their roles too.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:37 am
Evil D wrote:
Worm wrote: I like the idea.

David, I am sure you don´t mean this offensive, but still: The Delica / Endura tip shape imho is actually a very good thing:

The tips are still more than pointy enough, but just a tad stronger.
There are scenarios, where one just does not have them time to be a bit careful with a very fine tip: DFirst and foremost hard work that has to be done really quickly.
The main example for this in my use is, when I have to unpack helicopter loads in a very short time, cause the stuff has to be unpacked and moved out of the way before the chopper brings the next load. This is both hard and also "high speed" knife use, all sorts of (packing) material has to be cut, the knife hits the metal of for example barrels all the time and so on (see this very old post of mine: viewtopic.php?t=79554&start=780#p1344045)

/ Worm: 3mm stock and a bit re enforced tip is a great idea!
I never really understood the combo of thick blade, but rather fragile tip in PM2 and Para 3: Why not give the knives the slicier 3mm (instead of around 3.7mm) in the first place? 3mm is more than strong enough (see Endura, Manix (3.2mm)...) and the tip is too fragile for real beating anyway.
Thinner stock, but re enforcing the tip if the knife should be able to take a real beating is the better way to go imho.

And: Tips of course are not made pointy or not only by the shape of the blade in the tip area when one is looking on the flat of the blade. Factors like tapering, grind angle, chisel or v-grind, thickness behind the edge, sabre vs ffg and so on play their roles too.

If I meant it offensive I would be offended as I'm as much or more of an idiot as anyone else ;)

Besides, every time you idiot proof something, God makes a better idiot.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:39 am
That statement won the internet for me today. Haha, so true :D

Regarding the OP... I have a hard time voting.
I'm very much into sheepsfoot knives, both from a legality standpoint and some applications where it makes sense.

My first pick if I could get Spyderco to make a new version of an existing model, would probably be a smaller Caribbean.
That's obviously more of an undertaking than doing a sprint with a different blade shape.

My current pick for SAR duty, which is one of my main sheepsfoot applications, is the Salt 2. I looked at many different knives before I settled on that one, and I was truly tempted by many of the higher end knives aimed at that type of use, but the Salt 2, though not perfect, has a few key features going for it; affordable, easily replaceable, very light weight, non-threatening (I assume) and very visible in every orientation.
A sprint run, by nature of being a sprint run, easily fails on one of the above.

I think a PM2 sheepsfoot falls between use cases for me, but I'll give it some more time and thought process before I vote.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

tonijedi wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:02 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:57 pm
I would probably just get a Caribbean.
My first thought was that, but the Caribbean is a bigger knife.
Maybe a lil Caribbean would do the trick?
It isn't that much different in size, than a PM2. Just a longer edge and no choil.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:39 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:37 am
Evil D wrote:
Worm wrote:

If I meant it offensive I would be offended as I'm as much or more of an idiot as anyone else ;)

Thanks for your reply, best post I read today! :) ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
hank1984USA

Post by hank1984USA »

I voted for the sheepsfoot. Its too much of a versitile blade shape not to have on the PM2. Sheepsfoot PM2 is a must have.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

I like the concept, but I think the PM2 is not in need of more cutting edge as much as the Para 3 is.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

I’d buy one in a compelling steel. K390 and Rex 45 are high on my list, I’m sure magnacut would get a lot of attention as well.

Also no shade at anyone in particular but I HATE when people start suggesting other models in a thread like this. It’s invalidating and doesn’t meet the need being expressed as every one of those knives is substantially different in some way from a pm2. If the guys think the pm2 is otherwise the perfect knife but they want a sheepsfoot blade, the answer is a sheepsfoot pm2... not some other random knife that gives them the blade they want but sacrifices other features. Plus we’re talking about a model that’s already been done with a variety of blade shapes... there’s no reason this couldn’t happen if Spyderco perceived adequate desire or a retailer were to pick it up. /endrant

EDIT: I wrote that having just skimmed the thread. I just read more thoroughly and for the most part people weren’t doing that here. But hey maybe take it as a pre-emptive “please for the love of god don’t” :p
Last edited by aaronkb on Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bantee

Post by Bantee »

Vlaendr, that is a great mock up, I dig the blade profile, & in the right steel, I would totally be on board!!
Very nice work!!
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

keep the pm2 the same blade size. if anything reduce the end of the round handle to fit the blade it has.
a sheepsfoot is a great idea though on its own.

to me it looks like a D'allara 3 with a choil.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’d buy one. Love it!