NKD Forum N5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
z1r

NKD Forum N5

Post by z1r »

Stopped by my favorite gun shop for the first time in a long while. Nothing worth looking at but then I spied several Spydercos with boxes on consignment. Nothing super exciting but I did spy this Native and being a sucker for Natives I asked to see it. I opened the blade and saw the 2015 Forum Knife logo and then the S90V and knew it would be mine.

I've been eyeballing the Teal S90V version, but like this color better despite it sometimes looking brown and sometimes looking red, lol.

Very excited about getting it.

PeaceInOurTime

Re: NKD Forum N5

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Nice score!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That's a cool find right there! Looks to be in great shape too.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
z1r

Post by z1r »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:45 pm
That's a cool find right there! Looks to be in great shape too.
Thanks, not a mark on it that I can see.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

z1r wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:40 pm
Stopped by my favorite gun shop for the first time in a long while. Nothing worth looking at but then I spied several Spydercos with boxes on consignment. Nothing super exciting but I did spy this Native and being a sucker for Natives I asked to see it. I opened the blade and saw the 2015 Forum Knife logo and then the S90V and knew it would be mine.

I've been eyeballing the Teal S90V version, but like this color better despite it sometimes looking brown and sometimes looking red, lol.

Very excited about getting it.

Fantastic find!! Did you get a good deal on it? You don't have to give a price, just whether you felt great about the price you paid.
So it goes.
z1r

Post by z1r »

I paid less than the Teal S90V is currently selling for, so while it wasn't a steal, I certainly didn't feel "bent over!" :-)

They had a Pakkawood Delica as well, but I felt the N5 was the better deal. I may be the odd duck, but I like the N5 more than the D4. The Pakkawood sure was nice though.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Nice find! The 2015 Forum Knife was the second Native 5 LW I bought. Mine's not going anywhere any time soon
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Very cool. That brown is a great color.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

Some times when you are out and about with your eyes open you just get lucky and you certainly did there.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Great score! BTW the 2015 Spyderco Forum Native 5 is burgundy not brown... ;)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Great find! Love that color.

I'd like to see more burgundy knives. It's my favorite "Earth tone" by a mile. I've seen some really nice burgundy/maroon micarta out there that is just screaming to be put on a Sprint/exclusive.
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

Good purchase decision. I currently own 2 of these fine knives, one for use and one lives in my display case. I am continually on the hunt for additional Forum knives. I have the 2013, 2015, and the 2018. Its a slow hunt but very rewarding when I finally "trap" one. I am quite sure you will be extremely happy with your recent acquisition. :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like the color of this one.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Nate

Post by Nate »

Congrats OP, great score!

Really love this pic, captures the actual scale color better than like 99% of what’s out there. Have to think Spyderco would have sold through this run much quicker with a promo shot like this one than with the stock img they used...

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:24 am

:spyder:
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

I bought one of these new on ebay a while back because it was very cheap for an S90V Native. Unfortunately the blade centering is way off (basically rubbing on the scale) but one of these days I'll try to tweak it and start using it.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Nice find. I bought one when it dropped cause it was the year I joined the forum... seemed appropriate to have one.
z1r

Post by z1r »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:38 am
I bought one of these new on ebay a while back because it was very cheap for an S90V Native. Unfortunately the blade centering is way off (basically rubbing on the scale) but one of these days I'll try to tweak it and start using it.
Mine also had a blade that was off center but in checking I found the two smaller screws were loose. I pushed the scales in opposite directions until the blade centered itself and then tightened the screws and it is centered again.

Funny, I knew the color was Maroon but in the bad indoor lighten I took the pics in, it takes on more of a brown tint. I liked the color more than the current Teal S90V offering but, now that I have it, I kinds don't want to wear the engraving off the blade by using it. Lol, I may have to get a Teal version anyway.
z1r

Post by z1r »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:24 am
Great pic! Perhaps you can explain why yours is numbered and mine isn't? Thanks.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Reminds us that we're over due for a forum knife

His has a collector's club number, so he either got one from a collector club, or is a collector club member

side note: NKD - always makes me think of NKVD