Post Your Native Series Knife Mods and Inspire Others

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Karl_H

Re: Post Your Native Series Knife Mods and Inspire Others

Post by Karl_H »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:06 pm
Karl_H wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:15 am
(2) removing scale material behind the choil to make arc of the curve match that of my finger and create enough space for a full 4 finger grip behind the choil
(3) flattening the "palm swell" bump
(4) rounding all of the edges

Karl, I am a big fan of your mods.

I really understand #2, making the radius of the guard match your finger radius. That's a big thing for me too. (7/16" finger radius for me.) I raised the radius issue in a post some time ago and NOBODY was sympathetic with it, so it must be just you and me, pal.

See: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89207

If you look at the mods I made to my backpacking Mule you'll notice I did the same exact thing: Decrease the radius of the guard curve. Makes a major comfort difference for me and it effectively "lengthens" the handle by allowing your finger to grip closer to the blade.

#3 also. I did same flattening of the "pregnant cow" shape of my backpacking mule. No discrespect to pregnancy or cows, I like them both. Just sayin' I don't need so much palm swell. I don't have a huge hollow in the palm of my hand that needs filling.

#4 I also did to my Mule, but then, it's a mule, with no rounded edge whatsoever.

So: What method did you use to modify the arc/radius of the guard?

RE: Radius of Spydiehole access cutout... that is not a good finger groove
It seems to me that the cut out behind the pivot is primarily designed to improve access to the Spydiehole and its secondary function as a finger groove is severely compromised due to the wide radius and the big hump behind it. If you compare the Native to a CS Tuff-Lite you will see that this cutout has a much tighter radius that more closely matches that of the finger and lacks a big hump. It therefore works much better as a finger groove. In the case of the Manix, the cutout is purely designed to work as a finger groove and has a tight radius to match the radius of a finger, which is much more ergonomic.

I wrapped sand paper around my index finger to shape the guard to match the radius of my finger. If you have the LW model, just pay attention to the skeletonization of the inside of the scales and don't grind too far.

RE: The hump... that is not a good palm swell
I am still puzzled by the hump behind the spydiehole access cutout. This seems to be a recent addition to the Native, and I cannot figure out why it is there. It either unnaturally forces my fingers apart or acts as a pressure point. It doesn't function as a palm swell because the radius doesn't match the hand. The Manix has as actual palm swell that fits the hand.

I flattened it and have no regrets. I am still not sure what the optimal shape is here, but I the convexity (after flattening) seems to fit my palm well for a chest lever grip, so I plan on leaving it slightly convex rather than making it completely flat or concave.

On the LW model, I also don't want to grind into the skeletonized part of the scales, so that also contributes my decision not to make it completely flat or concave.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:49 pm
jpm2 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:40 pm
That's interesting! Do you happen to have a pic of it closed?
I do.

PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

jpm2 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:33 pm
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:49 pm
jpm2 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:40 pm
That's interesting! Do you happen to have a pic of it closed?
I do.

Eratus

Post by Eratus »

Just put some Cuscadi scales on my Lil Native. Probably the best quality micarta I have ever put my hands on.

vivi

Post by vivi »

Those scales look great! I'm going to have to see if he does scales for the Chief.

:)
:unicorn
Eratus

Post by Eratus »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:45 am
Those scales look great! I'm going to have to see if he does scales for the Chief.
Yeah, I love them. He makes them a wee bit thicker, 4 mm instead of the original G10 that seems to be 3,5 mm. Sounds negligible, but it give room for contouring and not as fragile as some micarta.

Unsure if I have seen the Chief among his creations, you should shoot him a message.
aquaseafoamshaman

Post by aquaseafoamshaman »

Great stuff in here! The last 3 pics are inspiration for some cool projects.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Wire clip mod. Melted grooves with a large flathead driver.

Looking better with black hardware and no shiny clip IMO. Sad I missed the M4 DLC drop swap into this CF.

Worm

Post by Worm »

That wire clip mod is a great idea. Will have to try it someday.
I find the Native 5 LW hour-glass-clip is less comfortable than Spyderco's usual spoon clip.

Those Micarta scales look awesome. Hoping for more Micarta Sprint Runs or regular models by Spyderco some day. Do It.

I just modded the real easy stuff:
Acid-wash (ferric chloride) for the Native 5 LW clip to get it less "shiny bling bling"
(also thought it will match better when the Rex 45 blade will get a patina).
Native Chief got a titanium deep carry clip. Usually I like the standard spoon clip ergonomic-wise. But the Chief handle is so long that the deep carry clip had for my medium sized hands no negative effects.
Additionally some minor deburring of the sharp G10 corners.
Attachments
20210606_102018.jpg
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Native converted to fixed blade with a resin printed Native 5 styled handle.
Attachments
20210609_123113-1.jpg
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

Custom timascus clip and BWL purple ti screws (not visible in picture: rex45 bladeswap with an SPK regrind and crowned spine)

~andrew
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

abbazaba wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:31 am
Wire clip mod. Melted grooves with a large flathead driver.

Love that wire clip mod, abba!
~andrew
Monty

Post by Monty »

I've been toying with the idea of hunting down a native 5 fluted titanium and swapping in the blade from a serrated salt. I want something a little more upscale for beach life, but not necessarily for taking out on the boat. I haven't done it yet as I'm worried there might be something off in the fit and the fluted ti models are hard to find at a reasonable price now.