MT29P - Mule Team Featuring Z-Max PM Release Info!

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
dlum1

Re: MT29P - Mule Team Featuring Z-Max PM Release Info!

Post by dlum1 »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:31 am
dlum1 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 8:28 am
z-max should be fine for hunting and fishing.

For kitchen duty, I'd recommend something a little more stainless.
For hunting and fishing, being stainless should be an even higher priority than in the kitchen. At least you can quickly clean a knife in a kitchen. In outdoor environments, that won't happen. Z-max is far from an ideal hunting and fishing knife. I think people are really reaching to justify buying this z-max.
I agree with you concerning the stainless property in a hunting and fishing knife. My 20-cv mule is probably my favorite because I can completely neglect it without worry. However, if one religiously takes care of their equipment, it isn't a problem. I regularly go fishing with either a k390 delica or a rex-45 military (and I regularly wade out into fresh water). I definitely wouldn't do this in saltwater! If the knife gets dunked, I'll dry the knife as best as I can and then oil the blade with a bit of oil / grease from my nose. The knife will get a proper cleaning and oiling once I get home. As I understand it, rex-45 has worse corrosion resistance than maxamet and I haven't seen any corrosion yet. Please correct me if I'm wrong on its corrosion resistance. I also have friends who use inexpensive 1095 tool-steel knives for both hunting and fishing without problems. Still, you're right about one thing. If cleaning and oiling a knife isn't a priority, any tool-steel isn't appropriate for hunting or fishing.

Pro tip: vasaline has a higher viscosity than oil alone and will tend to cling to the blade and stop pin a little better than oil, especially when taking an unavoidable ride into water. For my tool-steel mules, I apply car-wax to the handle and let it dry before attaching the scales. Seems to be working fine.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Cricket Bite wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 11:22 am
Does anyone know where to get Micarta scales for a SPyderco Mule? Thanks.
I've bought a few from Halpern Titanium.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Finally, I know ahead of time. Alarm set, hopefully I'll land one of these (I have a couple more things I want to buy as well).
Trev

Post by Trev »

Hopefully I can snag one of these. Finally getting a chance to working on the handle for the last release.
ArnAnders89

Post by ArnAnders89 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 11:11 am
I’m in! I have the Maxamet Mule and look forward to trying to compare them. On paper this doesn’t look too much different than Maxamet but we shall see!

I have had absolutely zero issue sharpening Maxamet and expect this to be no different.
Yeah Triple B (Deadboxhero) has talked about these two steels being really similar but that maxamet has a slight edge over z-max if I remember right. I have both steels but haven’t sharpened maxamet yet so can’t comment on the similarities in sharpening.
ArnAnders89

Post by ArnAnders89 »

Matt Deaner wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:05 pm
I have a maxamet mule but plan to get this one too to compare. It's interesting how cheap this is. I think I paid like $110 for the maxamet mule.

Deadboxhero has talked about these two being really similar but maxamet has a little more of something in it and so it performs a little better in one of the areas of comparison may have been corrosion resistance or edge retention I can’t recall which it was..
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

24hrs to go! :spyder:
•• Beau
ArnAnders89

Post by ArnAnders89 »

Buddafucco wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:00 am
I’m so nervous lol 😂
Good luck and fair play everyone.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Buddafucco wrote:
U posted this at 4pm my time. To the CET Europeans: isn't this going to drop at 5pm? :confused:
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

archangel wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:47 am
Buddafucco wrote:
U posted this at 4pm my time. To the CET Europeans: isn't this going to drop at 5pm? :confused:

It is Monday and i could be having a major brain fart, but they are 2hrs behind me. 9am mt = 11am est = 5pm cet. If your timestamp of my post said 4pm... I don't know? :confused:
•• Beau
archangel

Post by archangel »

Stupid Android....
Screenshot_20210607-184823_Chrome.jpg
Thanks for the support. Oh how I'd HATE to miss this because of any technicality.... :eek:
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
z1r

Post by z1r »

Just got informed that my Mom's Cataract surgery got moved up a couple of hours, not sure if I will be able to order one after all. Ugh!
ArnAnders89

Post by ArnAnders89 »

dlum1 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:38 am
BornIn1500 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:31 am
dlum1 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 8:28 am
z-max should be fine for hunting and fishing.

For kitchen duty, I'd recommend something a little more stainless.
For hunting and fishing, being stainless should be an even higher priority than in the kitchen. At least you can quickly clean a knife in a kitchen. In outdoor environments, that won't happen. Z-max is far from an ideal hunting and fishing knife. I think people are really reaching to justify buying this z-max.
I agree with you concerning the stainless property in a hunting and fishing knife. My 20-cv mule is probably my favorite because I can completely neglect it without worry. However, if one religiously takes care of their equipment, it isn't a problem. I regularly go fishing with either a k390 delica or a rex-45 military (and I regularly wade out into fresh water). I definitely wouldn't do this in saltwater! If the knife gets dunked, I'll dry the knife as best as I can and then oil the blade with a bit of oil / grease from my nose. The knife will get a proper cleaning and oiling once I get home. As I understand it, rex-45 has worse corrosion resistance than maxamet and I haven't seen any corrosion yet. Please correct me if I'm wrong on its corrosion resistance. I also have friends who use inexpensive 1095 tool-steel knives for both hunting and fishing without problems. Still, you're right about one thing. If cleaning and oiling a knife isn't a priority, any tool-steel isn't appropriate for hunting or fishing.

Pro tip: vasaline has a higher viscosity than oil alone and will tend to cling to the blade and stop pin a little better than oil, especially when taking an unavoidable ride into water. For my tool-steel mules, I apply car-wax to the handle and let it dry before attaching the scales. Seems to be working fine.
A lot of knife makers use epoxy to seal in the handle tang to prevent corrosion under the scales right? Are you using car wax to have removable handle scales or something?
dlum1

Post by dlum1 »

ArnAnders89 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:55 pm
A lot of knife makers use epoxy to seal in the handle tang to prevent corrosion under the scales right? Are you using car wax to have removable handle scales or something?
Yeah, I like to keep the handles removable. Ultimately, I'd like a set of micarta handles, but that may be a bad idea for fishing. Epoxy would certainly make the handles water-tight.

I'm still not decided on this mule team -- mainly because I don't need another mule team. However, I'd certainly like another mule team. Guess I should make up my mind quickly!
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

archangel wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:49 am
Stupid Android....
Screenshot_20210607-184823_Chrome.jpg

Thanks for the support. Oh how I'd HATE to miss this because of any technicality.... :eek:
I don't know if German computers have an F5 button but... If i were you... I'd be mashing it at 4pm and 5pm! :)
•• Beau
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

z1r wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:34 am
Just got informed that my Mom's Cataract surgery got moved up a couple of hours, not sure if I will be able to order one after all. Ugh!
I know how you feel, been waiting on this one for awhile. But as timing would have it I am in Guatemala City for work and will be using a VPN to sign in and purchase. Just too many variables with the connection, credit card, leaving a few minutes after order time for the airport, etc.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
wisby

Post by wisby »

Sales presentation at 9MST tomorrow so I’ll miss it - maybe tonight is a good time to retire :)
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

1hr to go!
Y'all wanna wrastle! :D
•• Beau
Murat_Cyp

Post by Murat_Cyp »

Why it is not available yet?
Murat_Cyp

Post by Murat_Cyp »

It seems I have miscalculated time zone difference! :)