A Case To Be Made For The Dodo Model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

A Case To Be Made For The Dodo Model

Post by JD Spydo »

I do hope that the title has got you all thinking. Because with the super popularity of the Dodo model on the secondary market should make Spyderco deeply consider trying to put the Dodo model back into their main line for at least a year or so.

The literal obscene prices that the Dodo model is getting on the auction sites just isn't fair to the dedicated Spyderco fans IMO. I think it goes without saying that the demand for the Dodo model is already big enough to justify putting it back into the main line up for at least 6 months or so if nothing else. It just isn't fair to avid Spyderco fans who really want a Dodo model not to be able to get one. I want another SE version of the Dodo so bad I've been tempted to pay the outrageous prices recently.

Also the Spyderedged version of the Dodo is nearly impossible to find at any price. I have no doubt that if they put the SE version Dodo back into production for at least a year or even 6 months that they wouldn't have any trouble selling every unit they made. I'm sure there are a lot of you who would love to buy a Dodo model at reasonable market prices.
knifemovieguy

Re: A Case To Be Made For The Dodo Model

Post by knifemovieguy »

I’m in, any Dodo would be awesome
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

knifemovieguy wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 3:32 am
Would you want both edge types available? Or do you just have one you like best?

The reason I ask is because I think this model is a lot like the C-60 Ayoob because like it this Dodo model had fans of both edge types.

Most folks would be astounded at how good the Dodo model works in a full SE blade.
knifemovieguy

Post by knifemovieguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 3:54 am
knifemovieguy wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 3:32 am
Would you want both edge types available? Or do you just have one you like best?

The reason I ask is because I think this model is a lot like the C-60 Ayoob because like it this Dodo model had fans of both edge types.

Most folks would be astounded at how good the Dodo model works in a full SE blade.
I’ve had se blue for less amount of time than plain cf but it was better cutter. Sold them both and now regret.
malice

Post by malice »

I have always been fascinated by this model, and if they ever do a regular series/sprint which is able to cross the pond, I'm getting one.

Additional question: would an FRN one be an option ?
knifemovieguy

Post by knifemovieguy »

malice wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 5:01 am

Additional question: would an FRN one be an option ?
and feather textured
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Absolutely would buy a dodo that wasn't a sprint that sold out in thirty seconds.

I think with this weird niche knife they should either go inexpensive or premium rather than "middle of the road" (ie s30v/black g10).

I'd go inexpensive. SE preferred. Does 14c28n do well with serrations? If so, it's stainless, tough, has decent edge retention and sharpens very easily. It would reduce production cost over something harder/more wear resistant. Frn also would be cool to reduce cost if they make it regular production.

If they go more premium, I'd do a textured carbon fiber, micarta or aninteresting color textured g10 (maybe liked the s45vn pm2 sprint) and a powder tool steel. Maybe K390 or 4v. SE again, I just think it works best with the reverse S.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

You can say that about the secondary pricing of a lot of models... Lums, terzuola, etc

I like the dodo, but it's a very niche model.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I'd like to try one, it looks like a great design.

My primary concern is the BBL. Since owning the Q Ball, I think I would much prefer a CBBL. If they could wrap a cage around the Dodo's ball, it would much more enticing.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I love the Dodo, but it didn't love me. I suppose I'm just too ham-fisted and/or work around too many hard surfaces. My user has had the tip broken off and reground so many times that it's ridiculous. I finally retired it.

I don't know if the ball bearing lock would work with unlined FRN, or how much you'd save going from unlined G-10 to lined FRN. Molds aren't cheap, so FRN is going to be a tough sell on an old model that was discontinued for slow sales.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

The Dodo definitely needs to be genetically cloned and brought back to life. Then there will be demand for more teeth (bigger blade). That’s when they will escape off their niche little island and literally carve their spot into the modern knife community.
Or something like that... :p
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

People tend to want what they can't have. You've got 110% of my support for the Ayoob but this one just isn't for me. There are a bunch of classic models I'd choose first.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 7:23 am
I'd like to try one, it looks like a great design.

My primary concern is the BBL. Since owning the Q Ball, I think I would much prefer a CBBL. If they could wrap a cage around the Dodo's ball, it would much more enticing.
This! CBBL with teeth would be great. I see 52100 and Peel-ply CF a winner.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

GarageBoy wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 7:07 am
You can say that about the secondary pricing of a lot of models... Lums, terzuola, etc

I like the dodo, but it's a very niche model.
yeah that can be said about the Dodo model>> that is until you actually EDC one for an entire week like I did in about 2004 I think it was. It's been a while for sure. But I was amazed at how many regular cutting jobs you could do with the Dodo model.

When I bought my first one in 2003 when they were first introduced I merely thought the Dodo to be nothing but a novelty collector piece and WOW!! was I ever wrong. Now I need a longer blade for most of what I use a knife for but from that point on I gained a solid respect for what I believe to be Eric Glesser's best design to date.

And I would want one in SE & PE both.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 7:36 am
I love the Dodo, but it didn't love me. I suppose I'm just too ham-fisted and/or work around too many hard surfaces. My user has had the tip broken off and reground so many times that it's ridiculous. I finally retired it.

I don't know if the ball bearing lock would work with unlined FRN, or how much you'd save going from unlined G-10 to lined FRN. Molds aren't cheap, so FRN is going to be a tough sell on an old model that was discontinued for slow sales.
I wouldn't want the Dodo in an FRN handle. G-10 is perfect for the Dodo model IMO. But I do feel your pain with pointed blades that have a needle type point. I've snapped a couple of them over the years myself and it sure gives you a hollow feeling.

I would think that Spyderco would have the tooling for the Dodo model because they've had 2 to 3 Sprint Runs of it already. But I would absolutely have to have another Spyderedged version of it. I already have two plain edged versions which are nice cutting tools. The SE version of the Dodo is a workman's dream knife. It has a blade short enough to be politically correct but yet it's got the cutting ability of many of the larger models.

Truly most people that bought the Dodo were like me in the beginning and bought it as a novelty type knife. "Using Is Believing" once you get a full SE version of the Dodo :cool:
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i'd love a se dodo. for a knife like this, i'd prefer a steel that's easy to sharpen.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 6:20 pm
i'd love a se dodo. for a knife like this, i'd prefer a steel that's easy to sharpen.
Yeah I could agree with that. Two of the older steels that I like in full SE are AUS-8 and ATS-55. If Spyderco had any older stock laying around that they would want to use for an SE version of the Dodo would get my blessings for sure. However in a PE model I would like to see M-4 or CPM 3V or something in that league.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

I’d definitely be up for a new Dodo.

SPY27 in SE and PE maybe?

The M4 Dodo is a coveted model for me also, so a tool steel version in REX45 or K390 would be pretty cool too.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Yes!

I've been carrying my PE the last few days and always forget how much I love it. I almost started a similar thread yesterday because I'd love to have an SE version too.

I'd be happy with any steel/color combo.
-Turbo
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

After Knifejoy released their Bowie, they made a few IG posts with #notthelastdiscontinuedexclusive. At the time I wondered if a Dodo might be coming from them. Given the success of the BladeHQ Dodo, I would not be surprised.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.