KJ Neon Green has late lockup

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SC_PATRIOT

KJ Neon Green has late lockup

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

Not complaining just asking for direction. I got this new from KJ and it has lockup at about 60-65% on the comp lock. That to me is really late. Was going to sell it but I really like the green. Sal or Michael would you recommend me sending this in for checking out and possible remedy with earlier lockup.? Or am I just too picky and this is well within normal limits ?. Thanks all
Instagram: @my_blade_life
Spyderco only EDC... :D
Buddafucco

Re: KJ Neon Green has late lockup

Post by Buddafucco »

I'll check mine after work. I don't think late lock up is as big of a deal on a compression lock. as long as it's not sticking. Para 3, right?
•• Beau
SC_PATRIOT

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

I thought the same but the lockbar goes way over and it does engage solid. I'm so used to it engaging fully at 30% max.

Thanks again for the update on S90v Lil Native. Snagged one with your updates last week.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Glad I could help! I was wondering because you never said anything else after that. :)

As far as the compression lock... Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know but my understanding is, as long as the compression lock is between the stop pin and the blade it's doing it's job, regardless of how far over it is or isn't, unlike the interface of a Frame lock or a Liner lock. I found a good explanation of it from Darby in this thread... viewtopic.php?t=75720
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:21 pm
The only thing it has in common with a liner lock is that it uses a liner. Other than that it actually functions much more like a axis/cbbl/bolt action lock. It is really a hybrid between the two styles.

A liner lock has a force vector that runs the length of the handle. The liner moves over and engages a ramp and when you try to close the knife the force pushes straight down the lock bar. That means that the modes of failure are likely to be either the lock bar bending or slipping off the ramp.

A compression lock has a force vector perpendicular to the handle of the knife. The liner moves over and a tab engages the ramp by wedging between the ramp and the stop pin. When you try to close the knife the tab that has wedged itself in there is squeezed between the ramp and the stop pin. The modes of failure with it are likely to be either the liner slipping off the ramp, the tab being crushed or the stop pin being blown out of the handle. Much like the axis lock wedges a horizontal bar into a ramp, the bolt lock wedges an inline bar into a ramp and the cbbl wedges a bb into a ramp the compression lock wedges a tab into a ramp. They all wedge an object between a ramp and a solid object above the ramp.

Unlike the liner lock which puts no force on the stop pin when trying to close the knife all these other locks do and all these other locks put the force upward perpendicular to the length of the knife. When you try to close a compression lock there is no force put on the length of the liner. Just on that tab.

Like the liner lock the comp lock lacks a bias towards closing which the bolt/axis/cbbl all have and instead relies on a detent ball. Besides the use of a liner that is the other thing it shares in common with the liner lock.

Edited: Adding a Spyderco link for picture comparisons... https://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/ ... echanisms/
•• Beau
NorthShoreBoiBoi

Post by NorthShoreBoiBoi »

Mine does have a slightly later lock up then standard para 3s, but is about on par with the DLC s35vn sprint run. The lock face on the blade doesnt have a DLC coating, so maybe they coat the blade and remove the DLC there after which could make the lockup slightly later then an uncoated blade that doesnt have to have the minimal sanding? Regardless im not too concerned
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Here's mine...

•• Beau
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would not worry about it, use it, and be happy. I see no issues with what you describe.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SC_PATRIOT

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

Lockup is Rick solid either way and I guess that's what counts! Thanks All