What's your favorite large Spyderco folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What's your favorite large Spyderco folder?

Police 4
16%
Military
26%
Native Chief
14%
Manix 2 XL
4%
Shaman
11%
Caribbean
7%
Endura
10%
Pacific Salt 2
4%
Other
9%

Total votes: 135

Burton Knut

Re: What's your favorite large Spyderco folder?

Post by Burton Knut »

I voted Caribbean, but the Police and Chief see just as much pocket time.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Chief for me. Prefer the way it carries to the Military (which I still like a great deal) and I don’t see a dlc left hand Millie happening anytime soon. With the Chief I found a way.

:spyder:
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Millie all the time! :)
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Of the models listed I have all but the Military. I’m just waiting for the new version with DLC internals to come out. (CS exclusive CTS-XHP Shaman w/ stonewashed blade incoming).

It’s really hard to choose a favorite large folder which is why I picked other.

Of my larger knives the Caribbean (PE leaf) is definitely the most carried. I use it for work a lot it’s been great.
Attachments
DEE6A308-8BE8-42C6-9993-16D9EB788D3F.jpeg
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

My favorite that I consider large is definitely the Goddard Lightweight. Too bad it’s not in production any longer. It’s such a great knife. Super light, good sized blade.
Patko

Post by Patko »

Military S110V
--mitja
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Can’t vote. I only have the PS2 on the list, so that makes ranking quite hard. I wanna say though, the Siren has the same amount of cutting edge, so while it might not be a large folder, I use it interchangeably with the PS2 to the point I might have made do with only one of them (wait, did I really write that?)

Anyhow, as one that want to take the step up to the really large spydercos and trying to decide between them, I enjoy the topic.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Only model on the list I own is the Shaman. So I guess that's my choice
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
vivi

Post by vivi »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 11:31 am
Of the models listed I have all but the Military. I’m just waiting for the new version with DLC internals to come out. (CS exclusive CTS-XHP Shaman w/ stonewashed blade incoming).

It’s really hard to choose a favorite large folder which is why I picked other.

Of my larger knives the Caribbean (PE leaf) is definitely the most carried. I use it for work a lot it’s been great.
DLC CQI Military folders have been at dealers for a while now. I plan to pick one up soon, just wanted to find a sprint run in a carbon steel before buying a backup to something I have.
:unicorn
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

The Native Chief all the way! I like the Shaman, but I don't have one yet. I would, but every time I get money in my pocket another Spyderco that I want pops up. This is not really too much of an issue....it's a 1st World Problem, which is rediculous.

Right now there are at least 5 Spydercos that I'd like to own. I need the Feds to get on the ball and send me the remainder of my funds so that if they hit the market, I can afford them.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I voted Millie but I almost chose Other for the Super Leaf. I have a serious need for a Shaman. Waiting on a steel that’s not S30V and color that’s not black.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Bantee

Post by Bantee »

Hello forumites, I've been reading this forum for literally years, as a "guest"/ lurker I suppose!?!..& let me say 1st of all I love this place, the members, & the incredible knowledge & sharing of opinions!! All of you members /mods contribute, to what is in my opinion one of the best forums governing any topic period!!
So, on to the original topic, my favorite large Spydie is...the Lum Tanto, of which I own two of...the grey G-10, & the BHQ Hap 40 version.
I also own both versions of the BHQ exclusive Sal/Eric tanto..the Lum being my faves by far...however, if the Sal/Eric designed tanto were ever to be incorporated into a Millie folder liner or comp lock, that would be my dream come true!!
Please forgive me for the wordy 1st post...
Love from IA.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

A very tough decision. I really like the Police 4 and Manix XL, but since you are going to use it for mail at the office, and I presume you don't want your co-workers to gasp and shrink back against the wall, I voted for the Military. Truth be told, in recent months I've carried my K390 Endura more than any of those. It would be more discrete at the office and the K390 can be so sharp that I have literally thought I missed the envelope and had to double check that I had sliced it open. It's much smaller in pocket and hand than the Millie but the blade is only 3/16" shorter, and long enough to do impromptu food slicing. And the Endura has been around so long that there are quite a few aftermarket scales for it. I'm using brown canvas micarta scales on my K390 model.

Double checking, I see that the Millie's blade is an eighth inch longer than the Manix XL's, which is only 1/16" longer than the Endura's, so I guess that shoots down that rationale... :D The Endura is just less imposing looking than the others, especially the Police, which has the longest blade of all.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

vivi wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 2:18 pm

Military (My current EDC & favorite)

- Only right hand tip down.

So sad :( :( :(
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DougC-3 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:04 am
A very tough decision. I really like the Police 4 and Manix XL, but since you are going to use it for mail at the office, and I presume you don't want your co-workers to gasp and shrink back against the wall, I voted for the Military. Truth be told, in recent months I've carried my K390 Endura more than any of those. It would be more discrete at the office and the K390 can be so sharp that I have literally thought I missed the envelope and had to double check that I had sliced it open. It's much smaller in pocket and hand than the Millie but the blade is only 3/16" shorter, and long enough to do impromptu food slicing. And the Endura has been around so long that there are quite a few aftermarket scales for it. I'm using brown canvas micarta scales on my K390 model.

Double checking, I see that the Millie's blade is an eighth inch longer than the Manix XL's, which is only 1/16" longer than the Endura's, so I guess that shoots down that rationale... :D The Endura is just less imposing looking than the others, especially the Police, which has the longest blade of all.

The Endura has even a bit MORE cutting edge than the Manix XL and a longer grip area on the actual handle... really depends on what features get emphasized when deciding which knife is "smaller" or "larger"

/ One thing though (generally, not a reply to your post): Out of the list for me the Shaman is certainly not a large, but perhaps a medium knife (this is nothing against the model itself at all, in my categorization it just is a lot smaller than the others)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
CPM-Greg

Post by CPM-Greg »

I restricted my choices to the blades I own:
1. Shaman (Z Wear)
2. Subvert
3. Native Chief (CF/S90V)

Very difficult to pick my #1.

CPM-Greg
Thinking about which Taichung blade to get next.......
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

It's always puzzled me how Spyderco can have half a dozen folders over 4" but never anything over 5" (I know we had the Tatanka, but that was somewhat of an ill conceived design. My favorite 6" folders are still primarily designed for slicing).

Right now I'd take a 5" Super Yojimbo over anything else, but a 5" Military would certainly find a home in my pocket.
(Of course at this point they would need to be in Magnacut since I consider the use of that steel an inevitability for any large folders).
Eratus

Post by Eratus »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 12:48 pm
Only model on the list I own is the Shaman. So I guess that's my choice
Same goes for me. Im a small knife guy, restricted by law. Wanted one big strurdy knife, it fell on the Shaman when I found one in Z-wear. Perhaps I would have chosen another if I tried them all. But on paper the Shaman was the knife for me.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I voted Other because I carry my primary folder loose, in my back pocket, and none of the knives in the poll will fit comfortably in that pocket. For that reason, my usual primary folder is one version or another of the Stretch or Stretch II.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dkelley661

Post by dkelley661 »

My only folder over 3.5" was an impulse buy, so I must place a vote for the Rock Lobster. I consider all of my :spyder: 's as favorites.