Change my mind: the Shaman costs too much

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
M Sea

Re: Change my mind: the Shaman costs too much

Post by M Sea »

sal wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:17 am
Naturally, we listen and we try to please. Eric has plans for an FRN scale for the Shaman. I've designed two follow up models; 1) a gutted version fr lighter weight and the other has no finger choil.

sal
Awesome!!!!!!
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

sal wrote:
Naturally, we listen and we try to please. Eric has plans for an FRN scale for the Shaman. I've designed two follow up models; 1) a gutted version fr lighter weight and the other has no finger choil.

sal
Thanks for doing this. Im very exited to see how they turn out.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

sal wrote:

sal
The crystal ball is getting clearer, and I'm realizing that hazy knife-ish shape I saw in my future is actually an FRN Shaman.... In S45VN... And maybe an LC200N lightweight thereafter!
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

sal wrote:

sal
That’s pretty interesting...
Any thoughts on a Super Shaman XL?
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Fireman wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:42 am
sal wrote:

sal
That’s pretty interesting...
Any thoughts on a Super Shaman XL?
Maybe make it a fixed blade that would look pretty cool
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

If that FRN goes for less than 150 I'll probably buy one and make my own scales
"Some call me...Tim?"
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Matus,

Higher costs are usually based on time. Labor time costs $1.00 per minute. Management time is more. Also machine time is where the Shaman scales go up. Depending on the machine, set up and tear down, maintenance, plus processing the part.

sal
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Paraguy wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:31 pm
*EDITED - Unnecessary and unwelcome commentary. - TazKristi*
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:33 am
Paraguy wrote:
:confused: Why this attack on him? (Honest question, I don´t understand, perhaps I am missing something!)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:33 am
Paraguy wrote:
I'm sorry?? :confused:
Last edited by Paraguy on Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some call me...Tim?"
araneae

Post by araneae »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:04 pm
Or woman's knife. It's 2021 bro.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

My intension of making this thread was not to troll or to cause fights. I'm sorry if it came off that way. :(
"Some call me...Tim?"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Paraguy wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:14 pm
My intension of making this thread was not to troll or to cause fights. I'm sorry if it came off that way. :(

I think your way of starting this thread was just fine! :)

Though I personally DON'T think that "the Shaman costs too much", you have valid points and made them in a brief, precise way.
If interested in knives, one can certainly question what exactly makes the Shaman more expensive than a PM2 in the same materials.

Also, your thread led to the most detaiilled explanation by Sal concerning pricing I've read so far, and this was really interesting!
And as a bonus: A preview on upcoming Shaman models.
So: Actually "thanks for starting this thread". :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I've made my peace with the Shaman's pricing. Owning a few and using them made me realize how justified the price is, especially if you get it in hard-wearing and tough steels.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I have been trying to add a.shaman to my collection but something else always gets purchased instead. Just for example--I almost grabbed one finally but out of nowhere I had a buddy stop over my house and he had his Hogue Ritter rsk mk 1- g2. I knew about this knife but never was on my radar. It felt great in hand and felt smooth and robust at the same time. Time to research this knife and watch some YouTube reviews. Turns out my mind was changed yet again. $224 is way to much for a blacked out shaman. $210 is too much for satin.
Well for $160 I get a proven design with super smooth action, 20cv steel, contoured g10 scales, made in USA....yep I went with the Hogue Ritter. On paper this knife blows the shaman out of the water for value! Also a side note, I just got into the knife hobby a lil over 2 yrs ago and have seen that shaman price go up from like 160 to over $200 ....that price increase is insane...just saying. Maybe one day I get a shaman but it will have to be used, its not worth the money they want new.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:01 am
I have been trying to add a.shaman to my collection but something else always gets purchased instead. Just for example--I almost grabbed one finally but out of nowhere I had a buddy stop over my house and he had his Hogue Ritter rsk mk 1- g2. I knew about this knife but never was on my radar. It felt great in hand and felt smooth and robust at the same time. Time to research this knife and watch some YouTube reviews. Turns out my mind was changed yet again. $224 is way to much for a blacked out shaman. $210 is too much for satin.
Well for $160 I get a proven design with super smooth action, 20cv steel, contoured g10 scales, made in USA....yep I went with the Hogue Ritter. On paper this knife blows the shaman out of the water for value! Also a side note, I just got into the knife hobby a lil over 2 yrs ago and have seen that shaman price go up from like 160 to over $200 ....that price increase is insane...just saying. Maybe one day I get a shaman but it will have to be used, its not worth the money they want new.
I have the exact same feelings. The Hogue Ritter is probably the best value I've seem anywhere for a knife. I think part of the reason why their contoured handles didn't add a lot of $$$ is that they're a grip company so they have all the best machines and the cheapest prices for supplies.
"Some call me...Tim?"
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

sal wrote:

sal
Sal, regarding the follow-up Shaman without the finger choil, are you thinking handle-forward like your wonderful D’Allara3, Lil’Temp3, Caribbean, and Rock Jumper?
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

sal wrote:

sal
What does the gutted version entail? Very interested in seeing both!
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 2:09 pm
sal wrote:

sal

I seem to recall that it will have a high hollow grind, but I am not entirely sure.
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 2:09 pm
sal wrote:

sal
I would imagine linerless.