What’s your best made Spydie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larry_Mott

Re: What’s your best made Spydie?

Post by Larry_Mott »

Unfortunately the best F&F i own are old discontinued for decades models. The Jess Horn series spring to mind with Swiss watch precision in assembly. That said i have only had two lemons, the K2 Farid (impossible to unlock one handed without tools) and a Chubby, almost as bad lock stick-wise. Both are sold since long. I think i owned the Farid less than 24 hours actally :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
CPM-Greg

Post by CPM-Greg »

Stepped Ti Chaparral
Varga or Firefly
Thinking about which Taichung blade to get next.......
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Fmont:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
archangel

Post by archangel »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 8:20 pm
archangel wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 7:05 am
Some mentioned the Slysz Bowie. It is a great knife, and feels super good in hand. I have identified two flaws though:

2) I have a feeling that the XHP blade dulls quite fast when you use it every day. It's not hard to sharpen on the Sharpmaker, but the feeling that it could use resharpening again comes quite fast. Curious if others have the same feeling...
Apart from these two flaws, the Slysz Bowie is a very capable and handsome knife. One of my favorites! It's my home EDC.
I think that's the first time I've ever seen anyone refer to the use of CTS-XHP steel as a flaw. Many think the use of XHP is a good thing. I'm one of them

It's totally subjective! I use my Slysz Bowie almost every day, and it often has to cut through plastic packaging (bags of food for our guinnea pigs and stuff like that). It often rips the plastic rather than cutting through it. Only when I sharpen it on my sharpmaker it cuts nicely, but only for a couple days. Maybe I should use a thinner blade for these tasks... but I love how the SB feels in my hand too much to replace it.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

archangel wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 10:49 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
archangel wrote:
Some mentioned the Slysz Bowie. It is a great knife, and feels super good in hand. I have identified two flaws though:

2) I have a feeling that the XHP blade dulls quite fast when you use it every day. It's not hard to sharpen on the Sharpmaker, but the feeling that it could use resharpening again comes quite fast. Curious if others have the same feeling...
Apart from these two flaws, the Slysz Bowie is a very capable and handsome knife. One of my favorites! It's my home EDC.
I think that's the first time I've ever seen anyone refer to the use of CTS-XHP steel as a flaw. Many think the use of XHP is a good thing. I'm one of them

It's totally subjective! I use my Slysz Bowie almost every day, and it often has to cut through plastic packaging (bags of food for our guinnea pigs and stuff like that). It often rips the plastic rather than cutting through it. Only when I sharpen it on my sharpmaker it cuts nicely, but only for a couple days. Maybe I should use a thinner blade for these tasks... but I love how the SB feels in my hand too much to replace it.
I have to agree, I see A LOT of love around here for XHP and don't really understand why. I honestly couldn't really tell a difference between it and S30V in use or sharpening when I had it, yet S30V gets hated on referred to as a lesser steel these days.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Patko

Post by Patko »

Techno 2 for me :-)
--mitja
James Y

Post by James Y »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 12:23 pm
archangel wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 10:49 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
archangel wrote:

I have to agree, I see A LOT of love around here for XHP and don't really understand why. I honestly couldn't really tell a difference between it and S30V in use or sharpening when I had it, yet S30V gets hated on referred to as a lesser steel these days.

It’s because ‘familiarity breeds contempt’.

I personally like S30V. It’s not necessarily my favorite Steel, but it certainly isn’t a bad steel. I have a couple knives in XHP and like it OK, but it’s not necessarily my favorite steel, either.

Jim
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

it's hard to look down your nose at someone if you have a s30v blade in your pocket. i need a steel that the average knife carrier has never heard of so i can feel good about myself and show my superiority.

that's tongue in cheek, of course, but there's almost certainly truth in it. there's no good reason not to be fine with s30v, and i'm saying that as someone that would rather carry lc200n because i've been spoiled by salt models.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Pickmansmodel82

Post by Pickmansmodel82 »

For me that would be the Subvert. While perhaps not the most “EDC friendly” knife, everything is amazing and clean. The G10 Slabs are textured and melted on the corners. Every screw and interface is bank vault tight. My only complaint may be design specific, but the detent is light for the size of the blade.
James Y

Post by James Y »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 1:47 pm
it's hard to look down your nose at someone if you have a s30v blade in your pocket. i need a steel that the average knife carrier has never heard of so i can feel good about myself and show my superiority.

that's tongue in cheek, of course, but there's almost certainly truth in it. there's no good reason not to be fine with s30v, and i'm saying that as someone that would rather carry lc200n because i've been spoiled by salt models.

I like LC200N a lot, too. More than I like S30V. :)

As far as my best-made Spyderco, I really can’t say with certainty. Maybe one or more of my four Militaries.

Jim
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

GB2
Kapara
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Kinda like being forced to pick a favorite child. :confused: If push came to shove I suppose it would be my SpydieChef.
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

I'd have to say my Kapara has the best all around fit and finish, with my Swayback and Maxamet Sage 1 not far behind. But I've yet to find any flaws with any of my Native 5 knives, G-10 S110v, G-10 Rex 45 and Salt. It's Golden against Taichung.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

My best Spyderco knives are the Spyderco Stuart Ackerman Sustain, or Spyderco Province.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
ThrottleCable

Post by ThrottleCable »

My One-Eyed Jack. The finishing and inlay work are fantastic. It's the "nicest" production knife I own.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Pickmansmodel82 wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 1:59 pm
For me that would be the Subvert. While perhaps not the most “EDC friendly” knife, everything is amazing and clean. The G10 Slabs are textured and melted on the corners. Every screw and interface is bank vault tight. My only complaint may be design specific, but the detent is light for the size of the blade.
I would have to agree on this one too, I would say it is second to my Drunken.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

Native Chief. Quite honestly the first Spyderco I been impressed with and find worth keeping.
Maybe it's the USA build quality compared to overseas. But the Endura I owned twice. And I was not very impressed with the tolerances and blade play. And yes I know Japan is considered a top knife making country. But I am speaking from personal experiences. And the Native Chief build quality is nearly flawless.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I still say if you haven't looked over a One Eyed Jack you cannot really appreciate what Spyderco is capable of.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 9:05 am
I still say if you haven't looked over a One Eyed Jack you cannot really appreciate what Spyderco is capable of.

I love every thing about the One Eyed Jack except the inlays. If they did a tribute sprint to A.T. Barr of this model, maybe with a cool CF and Ti bolsters/jeweled backspacer, I’d be all over it.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Manix2 g10 s110v. Rock solid and super smooth. I can't find a thing that isn't perfect. My para2 maxamet is darn near perfect too