Dear Sal - Questions re: Slysz Bowie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Re: Dear Sal - Questions re: Slysz Bowie

Post by ChrisinHove »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:48 am

What's childish, is automatically discounting their reasons for not doing so, as a non-issue.

Fraud is a very big deal and foreign customs is rife with theft. Why expose yourself to those added headaches, when you CLEARLY don't need to?

It sucks that they won't deal with international customers(I don't either). But, that is their choice and they have every right to do so.

Don't like it? Dont buy it. This incessant bellyache, is tiring and makes me frequent the forums less and less, as it's prevalence grows.

Enough already. You have options to get it to you, if you really want it. If not, well then you must not have wanted it bad enough.
Quite. It’s particularly galling if it deters valued contributors.

We all understand the disappointment of not being able to get everything you think you want, but that is precisely the nature - and value - of limited run sprints and exclusives.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:29 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:48 am

What's childish, is automatically discounting their reasons for not doing so, as a non-issue.

Fraud is a very big deal and foreign customs is rife with theft. Why expose yourself to those added headaches, when you CLEARLY don't need to?

It sucks that they won't deal with international customers(I don't either). But, that is their choice and they have every right to do so.

Don't like it? Dont buy it. This incessant bellyache, is tiring and makes me frequent the forums less and less, as it's prevalence grows.

Enough already. You have options to get it to you, if you really want it. If not, well then you must not have wanted it bad enough.
Quite. It’s particularly galling if it deters valued contributors.

We all understand the disappointment of not being able to get everything you think you want, but that is precisely the nature - and value - of limited run sprints and exclusives.
Indeed! There are MANY international members/customers here on the forum (like yourself), and I feel for you guys in situations like this. Yet, you never make a stink. This guy just seems to complain every time he's around when something doesn't go his way.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Danke

Post by Danke »

Well us outside the USA folks can't buy Knifejoy stuff but we can still buy Kinder Eggs so we go that going for us.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Danke wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:58 pm
Well us outside the USA folks can't buy Knifejoy stuff but we can still buy Kinder Eggs so we go that going for us.
It’s just as well they don’t know what they’re missing.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:04 pm
Danke wrote:
They don´t have those in the US?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Danke

Post by Danke »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:14 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:04 pm
Danke wrote:
They don´t have those in the US?!
Oh yeah there used to be smuggling rings. They can get a special USA only safety egg there now but it's not the same.
sal

Post by sal »

What's a "kinder egg"?

sal
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Sal and the gang, also to everyone, I apologize for the last post that triggered all these brouhaha. The last thing on my mind is to trigger another verbal back and forth - I was simply stating the truth of the matter that those are that company's excuses (with proof added), and that in my defense, they were able to bend those policies before to sell me one of their exclusives. Who wouldn't get mad if you're able to buy one moment, then the next denied the privilege. That's that.

Anyhow, it seems like Sal has been kind enough to answer the questions posted in this thread. Maybe someday, a dealer will be kind enough to do their own version of this and make it available for international customers, and hopefully we'll see that day come soon enough.

Danke wrote: Well us outside the USA folks can't buy Knifejoy stuff but we can still buy Kinder Eggs so we go that going for us.
Agreed LOL :D
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:29 pm
What's a "kinder egg"?

sal
;)

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

sal wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:29 pm
What's a "kinder egg"?

sal
Chocolate egg with a small toy inside :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

They have something similar in the US called a Wonder Ball... Chocolate ball with candy or toy inside
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Kinder eggs are a favorite of my kids, but they can't get them in the USA. Kinder eggs specifically are apparently banned from import because of choking hazard.

My younger daughter is a kinder fanatic. Whenever we go to Europe, she brings home a suitcase as packed with Kinder as she can get it.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Eventually you can even get to like the chocolate.... My favourite ever were the Asterix The Gaul editions.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I can’t eat chocolate (it gives me severe headaches). Even if they sold Kinder eggs here, I wouldn’t buy them. So I’m not missing out on anything. Yay!

:D

Jim
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

My kids have literally ranked the various kinder products. My wife actually had a bunch of them shipped for Christmas this year. So, basically, she was buying sprint run chocolates that weren't available in the USA, and just paying the extra shipping costs. :)

My personal favorite is the Kinder Pinguino.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

The USA equivalent is the Kinder Joy..they sell them at the little convenience store down the street from my work.. I was intrigued one day and tried one.. the little toy is segregated in a separate, inedible section of the "egg." Hahah apparently American children are too stupid to not die when a toy is surrounded by chocolate.. I kind of buy that actually..

Kinder in general.. delicious! These little guys live in my freezer.. so good!

Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx much.

sal
Carlito86

Post by Carlito86 »

I have a First generation slysz. Also a big collection of other spyderco (most of them discontinued). Part of my Joy collecting spydercos (including some original models like the 1 gen delica, dyad etc...) comes from their collectable value. I am not saying I want to sell them. But the fact that at a point in time the model Is over Is the same for cars,watches...etc. It keeps the collectors (buyer) Alive and they prefer for example spyderco to other brands.
What I am saying Is that of I am sure that if Porsche and Rolex started to redoo old models and sent them to the market, clearly the price would come down, but the collectors would clearly see that there Is no point in collecting.
Spyderco produces some Great knives. Buy those. Tomorrow you Will have your collection.
Hope I expressed my point of view without offending anyone. I am in Italy, I pay already a +33% compared to what people in US are paying for and I am Happy to collect.

I would like a Mossad (or Massad) but I am not getting crazy to have them re do it. I Will buy It on the secondary if I find It.
kobold

Post by kobold »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:32 pm
nerdlock wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:09 pm
I seriously doubt it. They'll offer up the same excuses like fraud, COVID, etc.
It's easy to get an international forwarding service. Or find a friendly knife person on the forum to forward it to you.

It just adds some cost. But when you're looking at $200+ knives to begin with, that's probably not a major obstacle.

I think they are also rejecting international credit cards and refuse shipping to proxy addresses.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:50 pm
The USA equivalent is the Kinder Joy..they sell them at the little convenience store down the street from my work.. I was intrigued one day and tried one.. the little toy is segregated in a separate, inedible section of the "egg." Hahah apparently American children are too stupid to not die when a toy is surrounded by chocolate.. I kind of buy that actually..

Kinder in general.. delicious! These little guys live in my freezer.. so good!

Here, the Kinder Joy replaces the Kinder Egg during the summer.

As the temperatures rise so much in summer and the chocolate Kinder Egg is not stored/sold refrigerated, the company interrupts the supply of the Kinder Egg and during those months it markets the Kinder Joy, a plastic egg with two isolated compartments: one stores a sort of cream and a plastic small spoon to eat it + two small balls of biscuit, and the other stores the toy.

Si vis pacem para bellum ;)