My wife's knifes.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fixall

My wife's knifes.

Post by fixall »

Yes, I know it should be "knives", and no I won't change it. :P

I asked to see my wife's Spyderco knives for a second because I thought her Dragonfly used a different steel, so she brought them out. I was very pleased to see that all of them have seen heavy use. No safe queens here! I'm so proud of her, lol. :D

So what Spyderco knives does YOUR significant other (regardless of gender!) carry?

Without further ado, here are "my wife's knifes."

Last edited by fixall on Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ugaarguy

Re: My wife's knifes.

Post by ugaarguy »

Nice knafs ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mine also carries the S90V Native, she also has a pink one and a pink Ladybug on her keys. They're always covered in tape glue and usually dull so I know she's using them for something.

I recently got a strong urge to buy her an automatic. She goes to the gym and takes our daughter and her friends out a lot, and she has a concealed carry but rarely carries because she's always in yoga pants and a t-shirt so I'd like her to carry something that's easier and faster to deploy. It's probably more of a "talisman" sort of thing but I'd feel more at ease.

I'm also looking for a teal Delica for her if anyone knows where I might find one. I think the Delica might suit her hand size better and the thumb ramp will be easier to open. That Tiffany blue is her favorite color.
Last edited by Evil D on Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
fixall

Post by fixall »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:36 am
Mine also carries the S90V Native, she also has a pink one and a pink Ladybug on her keys. They're always covered in tape glue and usually dull so I know she's using them for something.

I recently got a strong urge to buy her an automatic. She goes to the gym and takes our daughter and her friends out a lot, and she has a concealed carry but rarely carries because she's always in yoga pants and a t-shirt so I'd like her to carry something that's easier and faster to deploy. It's probably more of a "talisman" sort of thing but I'd feel more at ease.

I'm also looking for a real Delica for her if anyone knows where I might find one. I think the Delica might suit her hand size better and the thumb ramp will be easier to open. That Tiffany blue is her favorite color.
Your wife has great taste, it's an awesome knife! I'm tempted to borrow it from my wife all the time, lol. S90V is among my favorite stainless steels. I'm stoked that the Para 3 is coming out featuring it. :)

I was pretty surprised to see how much she has been using her knives... But then again, with the pile of Amazon boxes I recycle, I really shouldn't have been, lol.

I can totally see how there would be some added piece of mind just knowing your wife was out and about with a very capable knife... Not to mention the intimidation factor if she ever had to open the auto in a sketchy situation.

I think the pink Delica was an MGE distributor exclusive a few years back. I'll keep my eyes peeled!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

All my ladies carry a pink squeak, purely for utility purposes. My oldest daughter is starting to take more interest in knives, she likes the tiny folders, and has started a little collection of her own with the bug/honeybee/grasshopper series.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
fixall

Post by fixall »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:04 am
All my ladies carry a pink squeak, purely for utility purposes. My oldest daughter is starting to take more interest in knives, she likes the tiny folders, and has started a little collection of her own with the bug/honeybee/grasshopper series.
The Squeak is a heck of a knife! I had one in V-Toku2 once upon a time, but I somehow lost it while visiting New York. :(

That's awesome that your daughter is sharing an interest with you! My first child is almost a month old and I'm hoping to instill and a little appreciation for woodworking and metal working in him, if not knives. :)

I've got a wooden Dragonfly kit just waiting until he's old enough to build it with me. I was started fairly young with knives and I feel it gave me a respect for their dangers and usefulness, rather than just a dangerous infatuation like my friends who weren't allowed to own one.

The bug line is great one to get started with! I think the Grasshopper in particular stands out since it uses 12c27 steel. Great stuff!

Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I bought my girlfriend a purple Delica for Christmas years ago. I think she was expecting jewelry so I got this confused "what am I supposed to do with this?" look when she opened it.

Now I've honestly lost track of how many and which models she has. I do know she carries and uses all of them though.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

fixall wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:10 am
I've got a wooden Dragonfly kit just waiting until he's old enough to build it with me. I was started fairly young with knives and I feel it gave me a respect for their dangers and usefulness, rather than just a dangerous infatuation like my friends who weren't allowed to own one.
That Dragonfly kit is a good start, the GITD Delica kit was also well-received hre. I always keep a few of these on hand to give away to friends' kids. My little part to spread to good word about knife appreciation.;)
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
fixall

Post by fixall »

Frozenspyder wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:27 am
I bought my girlfriend a purple Delica for Christmas years ago. I think she was expecting jewelry so I got this confused "what am I supposed to do with this?" look when she opened it.

Now I've honestly lost track of how many and which models she has. I do know she carries and uses all of them though.
Ha! There is a thread on another knife forum about a guy who bought a knife for his wife for their anniversary and he put it in a jewelry box. We're all waiting with bated breath for the results of that... lol.

At first when I brought up buying a knife, she was like "why?"

Then I showed her the purple Ladybug and it piqued her interest. A couple weeks with that and she was telling me how useful it was and how she thought she needed something bigger. Hook, line, and sinker! :D
fixall

Post by fixall »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:29 am
fixall wrote:
That Dragonfly kit is a good start, the GITD Delica kit was also well-received hre. I always keep a few of these on hand to give away to friends' kids. My little part to spread to good word about knife appreciation.;)
I had completely forgotten about the plastic GitD Delica kit! Thanks for reminding me, I just ordered one. :)

You know, that's a great idea. You're like the Spyderco child safety ambassador. :D I should grab a few just to have on hand.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:36 am
I'm also looking for a teal Delica for her if anyone knows where I might find one. I think the Delica might suit her hand size better and the thumb ramp will be easier to open. That Tiffany blue is her favorite color.
If you have trouble finding a Teal Delica (I thought it was called blue) and you have "some other delica", I happen to have an older version blue model sitting in a Spyder pack. It's more of a pale blue, but I'm thinking it would work for you.

It shouldn't be a big problem to trade scales.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

fixall wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:27 am

Excellent collection.

You could correct your grammar problem simply by becoming a polygamist. Then it would be "My wives' knives."

But that has the drawback that you might discover all of those knives sticking in your back one morning.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

My girl has a ZDP Ladybug and V-Toku 2 Dragonfly and they look very similar to the ones in the OP. Every once in awhile I'll take them, clean them up, and sharpen them for her.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
fixall

Post by fixall »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:00 pm
fixall wrote:

Excellent collection.

You could correct your grammar problem simply by becoming a polygamist. Then it would be "My wives' knives."

But that has the drawback that you might discover all of those knives sticking in your back one morning.
But then I would have to hear "Is that another knife in the mail?" from TWO (or more) people every few days, lol!

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:13 pm
My girl has a ZDP Ladybug and V-Toku 2 Dragonfly and they look very similar to the ones in the OP. Every once in awhile I'll take them, clean them up, and sharpen them for her.
Great choices! ZDP-189 holds and edge forever and the V-Toku 2 is super tough! I keep a V-Toku 2 Dragonfly on my desk for Amazon packages and assorted mail (at least until the K390 wharncliffe Dragondly is released).
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Got my gf a decked out lil' native for her b-day a year back, can't say I've seen her use it though :(
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

fixall wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:19 pm
Bolster wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:00 pm
fixall wrote:

Excellent collection.

But then I would have to hear "Is that another knife in the mail?" from TWO (or more) people every few days, lol!

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:13 pm
Great choices! ZDP-189 holds and edge forever and the V-Toku 2 is super tough! I keep a V-Toku 2 Dragonfly on my desk for Amazon packages and assorted mail (at least until the K390 wharncliffe Dragondly is released).
I bought the ZDP Ladybug and Manbug together off the Exchange a few years ago. I kept the Manbug and the Ladybug went to her. The V-Toku 2 DF was in my desk drawer. I have a few others, so I asked her if she wanted to a DF. She likes it and I now have room for the K390 Wharnie DF
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
fixall

Post by fixall »

I think my wife has a favorite, lol.

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

fixall wrote:
The bug line is great one to get started with!
Agreed. My first Spyderco was a Manbug. I'd also like to get one of those wood or plastic kits, for the fun factor.
Regular carrier: zome green Delica 4
Occasional/situational carrier: Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade
Display only: Manbug with Wharncliffe blade, Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade, zome green Delica 4
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

She favours the CF Chaparral.
fixall

Post by fixall »

New one for the wife. A modded Spyderco McBee. :D

This one has a Damacore Hugin reblade, "Easter Bunny Flomascus" anodized scales, purple anodized screws, purple anodized standoffs, and an aqua anodized McNee "Honeycomb" clip. :)