Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mushroom

Re: Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Post by Mushroom »

Well, guess its sold out... I finally got one into my cart and when I click submit order - "Checkout is temporarily unavailable
The inventory level for the following product is below what you ordered, so we could not proceed with the checkout: Spyderco C186TIPBL KnifeJoy Exclusive Slysz Bowie Folder M390 with Blue Handle"

I'm very interested to know how many were made.
-Nick :bug-red
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Well shoot. Got through multiple errors, wouldn't take my cc info, cleared it and tried again multiple times, finally got through...and sold out. Oh well. Hopefully next run.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Yeah my charge went thru but was then reversed and I didn’t get an order confirmation so I don’t think I got one :( They really need to get their servers up to snuff in anticipation of this type of release. It really turns me off of knife collecting in general.
Cali HogHead

Post by Cali HogHead »

Gotta say, the transaction went smoother than I expected. 3 minutes and I've already received a confirmation email. Nice going Knifejoy and Spyderco for bringing such a great piece to the fans! This will be my first taste of M390 as well.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

All in all, pretty disappointing release. :)
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

And here we are, the rest of the world, just watching in the sidelines not even given the chance to participate in this drop...
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

TKCSA wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:51 am
As an international Spydie lover myself I completely understand the frustration with models like these which are so popular. They are almost impossible to come by for us because we need to compete with all the US buyers also who are most of the time local (in terms of country) to the store selling the product. I guess I have made peace with it and just frolic around the regular production models that are more available to me.

The perspective Knife Joy has on the international shipping with this run makes sense to me. Remember that they would never have struggled to sell them locally anyway, so why go through the additional admin, expense and risk to ship internationally?

I am sure it is nothing against the international customer but rather just smart business sense. Shipping internationally opens them up to so much more in terms of fraud, Co-vid delays, import issues, potential insurance claims, etc. In the case of a model like the Slysz Bowie they would also not be able to help an international customer whose knife perhaps gets seized/stolen by customs to replace it, because there simply are none left by that time. That would result in a very unhappy customer who was looking forward to an exclusive model but now has no further chance of securing one. It seems to me a case of Knife Joy rather not wanting to make a promise they cannot guarantee keeping towards international customers (with this run specifically).
Sorry but I can't read this and not reply.

Let me start by saying I'm not interested in buying this knife (even if I was Able to, and I am not).
I don't see why sellers choose to not sell to overseas buyers.
I live in Australia. I have bought many many knives from Knife Works, Knife Center, DLT Trading, Cuttleryshoppe and others.
I am confident they were happy for the business and that my money was as good and anybody's.
All of these businesses were good to deal with. I have zero complaints with any of them.
None of the businesses stumped up the money for posting my purchases to me. I paid a hefty premium to have them sent and had no issues with that. So please don't suggest that is somehow paid by the seller.
I have never once had any issue with a knife purchase not arriving.

In short international customers are not a problem and we are a customer just like everybody else.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

One is already posted on EBay with a starting bid of $600 and a buy now price of $1000. I hate resellers!
SSD_777

Post by SSD_777 »

This was a waste of my time. Server errors, captcha failed to load multiple times. Looks like I'll be carrying my trusty CRK instead. Oh well, Spyderco's loss is my gain.
SpydieTerp

Post by SpydieTerp »

samdasnake wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:27 am
One is already posted on EBay with a starting bid of $600 and a buy now price of $1000. I hate resellers!

Scalpers are scum. If someone wants to buy it for $1000, more power to them, but KnifeJoy/Spyderco have stated that there would be additional releases, so this would be folly.
Current collection: Bow River, Chaparral Raffir Noble XHP, Dragonfly ZDP-189, Lil' Native M4, Manix 2 LW 20CV, Native 5 LW SPY27, Native Chief M4, Para 2 S30V, Para 2 20CV, Para 3 LW BD1N, Para 33 DLC CRU-WEAR, Para 3 Maxamet, Salt 2 SE, Shaman S30V, SpydieChef LC200N, Tenacious S35VN
Recent purchases: Shaman S30V
On the radar: Caribbean Sheepsfoot
Lost: Delica 4 LW (stolen), Native 5 LW S110V (kept by TSA screener / refused to mail)
Wishlist: Shaman Micarta
Neatknife

Post by Neatknife »

I still have one in my cart, but it will not allow me to check out. So close, but no cigar. Good for you guys who got one. Waiting for the next exclusive, since this one sold out well.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

amateur blacksmith wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:19 am
TKCSA wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:51 am
As an international Spydie lover myself I completely understand the frustration with models like these which are so popular. They are almost impossible to come by for us because we need to compete with all the US buyers also who are most of the time local (in terms of country) to the store selling the product. I guess I have made peace with it and just frolic around the regular production models that are more available to me.

The perspective Knife Joy has on the international shipping with this run makes sense to me. Remember that they would never have struggled to sell them locally anyway, so why go through the additional admin, expense and risk to ship internationally?

I am sure it is nothing against the international customer but rather just smart business sense. Shipping internationally opens them up to so much more in terms of fraud, Co-vid delays, import issues, potential insurance claims, etc. In the case of a model like the Slysz Bowie they would also not be able to help an international customer whose knife perhaps gets seized/stolen by customs to replace it, because there simply are none left by that time. That would result in a very unhappy customer who was looking forward to an exclusive model but now has no further chance of securing one. It seems to me a case of Knife Joy rather not wanting to make a promise they cannot guarantee keeping towards international customers (with this run specifically).
Sorry but I can't read this and not reply.

Let me start by saying I'm not interested in buying this knife (even if I was Able to, and I am not).
I don't see why sellers choose to not sell to overseas buyers.
I live in Australia. I have bought many many knives from Knife Works, Knife Center, DLT Trading, Cuttleryshoppe and others.
I am confident they were happy for the business and that my money was as good and anybody's.
All of these businesses were good to deal with. I have zero complaints with any of them.
None of the businesses stumped up the money for posting my purchases to me. I paid a hefty premium to have them sent and had no issues with that. So please don't suggest that is somehow paid by the seller.
I have never once had any issue with a knife purchase not arriving.

In short international customers are not a problem and we are a customer just like everybody else.

THIS x 1000. Almost 90% of my Spydercos were from the US and about 80% are sprints and exclusives which are not readily available in our country. I'm sure my money and a thousand or so other international fans are good and that these dealers are also happy to have our money.

If Knifejoy can't handle dealing with online fraud, they should not be in this business at all. I still don't see any hard reason why other knife dealers can handle these "problems" and they can't, if you're in business you will always encounter problems like this, in whatever industry you're in. I'm sure Sal and his team have encountered fraudsters several times in building up Spyderco into what it is today, and I'm pretty sure they have dealt with them in one way or another without depriving a certain group of people their business.

It's just a lazy cop out to point to fraud as a reason to not accept international customers. That's like saying all international customers are fradulent people.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

God grant me the serenity to accept the Spydies I cannot buy,
Courage to enjoy the ones I already own,
and Wisdom to realize that I have too many d*mn knives as it is!
:p
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

Plenty of fish in the sea...

Sometimes you are lucky, sometimes you are not.

For those who snagged one. Congrats and enjoy.

For those who did not: you saved some money for your next (maybe even better) purchase.

What a wonderful hobby this is :D

Edit: Rick when you find the Wisdom please share it with me. I am lost too.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

ugaarguy wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:13 am
For those who are frustrated that this isn't finished like the old one, and/or it won't ship to Europe, may I offer an alternative way to view the situation? Perhaps look at this as a ray of hope. The door that was bolted shut has now been opened. Knife Joy saw the chatter here and on other social media, and no doubt saw the secondary market prices. St. Nicks has all but said that they've already negotiated their own exclusive run of the Slysz Bowie. I have no doubt that other retailers will be watching to see how fast this Knife Joy exclusive sells at $400 apiece. If it sells quickly, that will further open the door to other dealers commissioning their own exclusives. Hopefully dealers that ship internationally and offer a variant more to your liking. I have no doubt that Spyderco will also be watching to inform their decision making on putting their own run (or runs) of the original back into production as well.
In a sens it is a ray of hope. The only problem is that I fully expect every actor involved to not do the obvious : release a 2.0 version with the main appeal of the OG release.

I fully expect many variations of the knife (red, blue, pink, different steal...), but nothing about taking the chance to push the potential of the initial Slysz Bowie further (proper release, lockbar insert, standoff) and of course, being broadly available for everyone to buy and use without regret.

Look at the PM2 tanto situation. We're months after the release and nothing happened.

Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I'm wrong. Unfortunately, it's not starting well so far.
spydie-fan

Post by spydie-fan »

Even after watching the review video last night, I was able to resist the urge to buy one. I love the looks of the Slysz Bowie, but couldn't justify spending that much for it.

$400 and no lock bar insert is a head scratcher.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

So as it all turns out it was my banks fault I didn’t snag one of these. They decided it was suspicious activity and declined the charge. So lesson learned - call the bank belle the next release to let them know I’m making this purchase. Frustrating!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

DSH007 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:37 am
God grant me the serenity to accept the Spydies I cannot buy,
Courage to enjoy the ones I already own,
and Wisdom to realize that I have too many d*mn knives as it is!
:p
AMEN.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

samdasnake wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:48 am
So as it all turns out it was my banks fault I didn’t snag one of these. They decided it was suspicious activity and declined the charge. So lesson learned - call the bank belle the next release to let them know I’m making this purchase. Frustrating!
Did everything right and... no go. :eek: This is a major bummer to be in these shoes!!! :mad: :( :spyder:

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I've never laughed so hard at an eBay listing but someone has this knife listed for $4000 or best offer!!! :D LOL!!!