Siren - strange lock movement

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Siren - strange lock movement

Post by vivi »

Has anyone heard back from Spyderco regarding this issue?

I plan to put my Siren in my pocket tomorrow. I still feel confident using it since I generally have my thumb resting over the lock bar preventing it from popping up, but I'm still interested in any updates.

Side note - I think my rex45 chief and siren will make a great combo. The Chief will be my go to when I don't need a rust proof folder, and the Siren will come with me on days I do. Two linerless Golden lockbacks with similar amounts of cutting edge and no thumb ramp.
:unicorn
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have not contacted them directly yet. Other than Sal's post there has been nothing from Spyderco I'm aware of.

Thanks for the tip on keeping the thumb on the lock bar. It requires little pressure to keep the bar from pushing up, so that's a small blessing.

I love the design, but these little niggling issues keep it out of my pocket. CQI will solve it, but that means I have to buy the same knife twice to solve issues I did not cause. Frustrating.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
craytab

Post by craytab »

Over on bladeforums, Sal has said they are still looking into the issue and have not come up with a solution yet but are still on the case.
Last edited by craytab on Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
craytab

Post by craytab »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:40 am
I have not contacted them directly yet. Other than Sal's post there has been nothing from Spyderco I'm aware of.

Thanks for the tip on keeping the thumb on the lock bar. It requires little pressure to keep the bar from pushing up, so that's a small blessing.

I love the design, but these little niggling issues keep it out of my pocket. CQI will solve it, but that means I have to buy the same knife twice to solve issues I did not cause. Frustrating.
I believe that spyderco will take care of the issue if those who want will send their Sirens in.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Mine does it. Didn't notice it until this thread though.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Glad I saw this, I was thinking the Siren looked like a promising buy, but I don't think I could live with that flaw. My Salt 1 has an annoying amount of lock-rock, but I've been lucky with my other Spyderco back locks.
Monty

Post by Monty »

Just checked, mine looks just like the OP's when pressed down. Really surprised at how little pressure it requires. Checked a few of my Delicas and Enduras, none of them move like this.
bsmithb

Post by bsmithb »

Mine never used/never carried Siren does exact same thing.

Safety issue or not, at a MSRP of $250.00 the lock bar moving under pressure is certainly an issue. The lack of chamfering on the Spydiehole and spine is also disappointing. It seems like this knife's designer isn't up to typical Sypderco standards. Baffling how a designer could study decades of functional back lock geometries, then design this failure. Oh wait, maybe he didn't study anything and just winged it. That probably explains the too small Spydiehole also.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear bsmithb:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bsmithb wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 7:46 pm

Safety issue or not, at a MSRP of $250.00 the lock bar moving under pressure is certainly an issue. The lack of chamfering on the Spydiehole and spine is also disappointing. It seems like this knife's designer isn't up to typical Sypderco standards. Baffling how a designer could study decades of functional back lock geometries, then design this failure. Oh wait, maybe he didn't study anything and just winged it. That probably explains the too small Spydiehole also.

Welcome to the forum,

I don´t have a Siren (yet! - Waiting if there´ll be a serrated version), but from I all I read and can see: I think it is not a "failure" at all - sure, the lock movement should not be there, but I think when whole new designs come out it is not too seldom that minor flaws can only be seen in long time use (and then get fixed)

The "too small Spydiehole" is not too small, but just as large as it can in the slim blade, that in return has no thumb ramp - which many people like

Other than that: Certainly some great design features imho
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Most people like the sharper edge on the opening hole for doing real work. Less slipping, especially if you have callouses on your fingers or wearing gloves.
I'm not going to address the rest as you seem to just want to vent. Return it if you don't like it.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

bsmithb wrote:

Some guy on the internet says so, it must be true.. Clearly, no thought went into the design at all.. :confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

https://youtu.be/10rr0qsXoiQ

I'll concede that the lockbar movement is less than ideal (my Siren has it as well), but I think it is more likely attributed to some issue in the manufacturing process than the design of the knife itself.. maybe the lockbar is a few thousands of an inch off somewhere, idk. Through all of the development and testing, Spyderco as a whole missed diagnosing the issue.. they are now working to resolve it. Disparaging Lance's design abilities and calling the knife a "failure" is harsh and uncalled for, imo.. I think the Siren is a very well-designed knife for it intended uses. And hopefully some CQI takes care of the lockbar issue.. :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yeah, I don’t think Lance had anything to do with this issue. It is obviously a manufacturing issue and while it is unfortunate, Spyderco has a long history of normally producing some of the better lockbacks.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

It must be something about the end of the lockbar, but for the life of me I can’t figure out what it is. If you press the blade back and disengage the lockbar it moves up about 2mm, which is not something I’ve seen before. Even in similarly modeled spydie lockbacks.

But again, for the type of knife this is I’m not super worried about it.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
craytab

Post by craytab »

bsmithb wrote:
It seems like this knife's designer isn't up to typical Sypderco standards. Baffling how a designer could study decades of functional back lock geometries, then design this failure. Oh wait, maybe he didn't study anything and just winged it. That probably explains the too small Spydiehole also.
This simply isn't true at all. Sorry.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

bsmithb throws a first (and only?) post into the forum and gives everyone a chance to declare their Siren admiration. Thanks. Lance’s Siren is an excellent design.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Mine makes a little clicking noise, but the bar visually doesn't seem to move. Maybe if I applied ungodly pressure something would happen, but it's against my religion. My thumb appears to sit right on the end of the lockbar anyway.

Seems like you might be able to dremel out a little more space around the spydiehole in the handle's G-10 if the hole is hard to use.

Personally I think spydieholes have trended too large in many cases. I like a little more steel around holes in a blade.
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

I think perhaps the end of the lockbar that contacts the blade needs a little bit greater of an angle to prevent the lockbar from pushing up. That said I’ve used the siren a whole lot and it took this thread for me to notice the issue. Spyderco will figure out the problem eventually, but until then I have no qualms about putting it to good use. The siren has become my most carried knife since I got it. Can’t blame Lance for this though. Great, great design, just a small manufacturing issue.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I think the Siren is a beautiful design. It checks so many boxes for me. I just wish it was in FRN. In terms of the lock bar mine clicks slightly but that's it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

samdasnake wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 11:45 pm
I think the Siren is a beautiful design. It checks so many boxes for me. I just wish it was in FRN. In terms of the lock bar mine clicks slightly but that's it.

This.
And in SE.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)